    Samsung has been mentioned, any more? Favourites, dogs & lepers?

    TIA
    Vince
    Vince, Oct 13, 2003

  2. Vince

    Paul Mathews Guest

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:47:17 +1300, Vince <> wrote:

    >Daughter is after a 17" LCD to plug into her laptop at work...
    >
    >Samsung has been mentioned, any more? Favourites, dogs & lepers?
    >
    >TIA
    >Vince

    Most offices seem to be using Philips these days..

    Look at the warrantee details like lamp life and dead pixels..

    Some are rated for 30,000 hours and some as high at 50,000 but some only gave
    a 1 year warrantee..

    My Retail dealer does not like Samsung as the agents gave him the runaround
    on a bad monitor..
    Paul Mathews, Oct 13, 2003

  3. Vince

    Paul Mathews Guest

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:10:02 +1300, bt <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:47:17 +1300, Vince <> wrote:
    >
    >>Daughter is after a 17" LCD to plug into her laptop at work...
    >>
    >>Samsung has been mentioned, any more? Favourites, dogs & lepers?

    >The hitachi from Ascent gets rave reviews. I have one and it seems
    >pretty damn good. vga and dvi. Comes with both cables and an erotic
    >dancer *.
    >

    >*conditions apply **

    >**Price includes one (1) g-string and an instruction pamphlet.
    >

    >Brendan (Avatar)

    Mine now has a stuck pixel, but other than that its a Good Gaming monitor, but
    I payed a lot less that what Ascent charges..

    A resent OZZ Mag gave it a very bad report, but what concerns me that other
    monitors in the same review that use the same LCD panel got better marks.
    Paul Mathews, Oct 13, 2003
  4. Vince

    BB Guest

    Hyundai/ImageQuest. Warranty (3 year onsite replacement) = 1 failed
    pixel...that's 1, not 1%

    BB
    NZ

    BB, Oct 13, 2003
  5. Vince

    pete Guest

    "Paul Mathews" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:10:02 +1300, bt <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:47:17 +1300, Vince <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Daughter is after a 17" LCD to plug into her laptop at work...
    > >>
    > >>Samsung has been mentioned, any more? Favourites, dogs & lepers?

    > >The hitachi from Ascent gets rave reviews. I have one and it seems
    > >pretty damn good. vga and dvi. Comes with both cables and an erotic
    > >dancer *.
    > >

    > >*conditions apply **

    > >**Price includes one (1) g-string and an instruction pamphlet.
    > >

    > >Brendan (Avatar)

    > Mine now has a stuck pixel, but other than that its a Good Gaming monitor,

    but
    > I payed a lot less that what Ascent charges..
    >
    > A resent OZZ Mag gave it a very bad report, but what concerns me that

    other
    > monitors in the same review that use the same LCD panel got better marks.

    Just goes to show that magazine reviews are not all you'd hope they are. All
    they are testing is one or maybe two examples of a product, they might get
    the one bad one out of a batch or they might get the only good one the
    factory has ever made.If you REALLY want to know whats what with LCDs,
    there's an old know-all over Kapiti named Woger.He can tell you things that
    even the manuFACTurers don't, 'cos he reads things on the Web!
    pete, Oct 13, 2003
  6. Vince

    KS Guest

    "Vince" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Daughter is after a 17" LCD to plug into her laptop at work...
    >
    > Samsung has been mentioned, any more? Favourites, dogs & lepers?
    >
    > TIA
    > Vince

    Currently using a Samsung and its bloody excellent. Was good value for money
    too. Will never look at an old CRT again!

    KS
    KS, Oct 13, 2003
  7. Vince

    Paul Mathews Guest

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:04:24 +1300, "KS" <> wrote:

    >"Vince" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> Daughter is after a 17" LCD to plug into her laptop at work...
    >>
    >> Samsung has been mentioned, any more? Favourites, dogs & lepers?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Vince

    >Currently using a Samsung and its bloody excellent. Was good value for money
    >too. Will never look at an old CRT again!
    >
    >KS

    They don't get very good reviews..
    Paul Mathews, Oct 13, 2003
  8. Vince

    Paul Mathews Guest

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:31:25 +1300, "BB" <> wrote:

    >Hyundai/ImageQuest. Warranty (3 year onsite replacement) = 1 failed
    >pixel...that's 1, not 1%
    >
    >BB
    >NZ

    And what about the Lamps and the rated Lamp Life..?
    Paul Mathews, Oct 13, 2003
  9. Vince

    Allistar Guest

    Vince wrote:

    > Daughter is after a 17" LCD to plug into her laptop at work...
    >
    > Samsung has been mentioned, any more? Favourites, dogs & lepers?
    >
    > TIA
    > Vince

    I use a Cornea (MP704) and am very happy with it. I imported it from
    Australia about 8 months ago because it was cheaper (even taking into
    account the freight) than buying locally.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Oct 13, 2003
  10. On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:15:47 +1300, Paul Mathews
    <> scribbled:

    >On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:04:24 +1300, "KS" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Vince" <> wrote in message news:...
    >>> Daughter is after a 17" LCD to plug into her laptop at work...
    >>>
    >>> Samsung has been mentioned, any more? Favourites, dogs & lepers?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> Vince

    >>Currently using a Samsung and its bloody excellent. Was good value for money
    >>too. Will never look at an old CRT again!
    >>
    >>KS
    >>

    >They don't get very good reviews..

    Reviews mean nothing. Your Hitachi was given good reviews right? Look
    how that turned out. Later on it was given bad reviews right?

    --
    Phillip Weston
    Taumarunui, New Zealand

    Phillip Weston, Oct 13, 2003
  11. Vince

    Ralph Mason Guest

    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:47:17 +1300, Vince <> wrote:
    >
    > >Daughter is after a 17" LCD to plug into her laptop at work...
    > >
    > >Samsung has been mentioned, any more? Favourites, dogs & lepers?
    > >
    > >TIA
    > >Vince

    > Most offices seem to be using Philips these days..
    >
    > Look at the warrantee details like lamp life and dead pixels..
    >
    > Some are rated for 30,000 hours and some as high at 50,000 but some only

    gave
    > a 1 year warrantee..
    >
    > My Retail dealer does not like Samsung as the agents gave him the

    runaround
    > on a bad monitor..

    I have a philips 17 inch sitting next to a Samsung (Badged Dell 1900FP)
    and there is no comparison.

    The samsung wins hands down. Period, full stop.

    Ralph
    Ralph Mason, Oct 13, 2003
  12. Vince

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Ralph Mason" wrote
    > I have a philips 17 inch sitting next to a Samsung (Badged Dell 1900FP)
    > and there is no comparison.

    Yeah we just got some of the "Dell 1800FP" and "Deall 2100FP" here at work,
    and they are really nice, I must say I'll be sad to give these up(dual
    screen 21" FP :)
    T.N.O., Oct 13, 2003
  13. Vince

    KS Guest

    >If you REALLY want to know
    > whats what with LCDs, there's an old know-all over Kapiti named
    > Woger.He can tell you things that even the manuFACTurers don't, 'cos
    > he reads things on the Web!

    Err, Paul Matthew IS Woger.

    Give aways include shocking use of the the English language and the childish
    name calling.
    KS, Oct 13, 2003
  14. bt wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:47:17 +1300, Vince <> wrote:
    >

    >>Daughter is after a 17" LCD to plug into her laptop at work...
    >>
    >>Samsung has been mentioned, any more? Favourites, dogs & lepers?

    > The hitachi from Ascent gets rave reviews. I have one and it seems
    > pretty damn good. vga and dvi. Comes with both cables and an erotic
    > dancer *.

    You have no problems with DVI out?

    I have an Hitachi CML174SXW. The analog output is excellent, but when
    using DVI out, half the options in the OSD are disabled including
    brightness/contrast controls, RGB levels and colour temperature
    adjustments. So, with my monitor the DVI is unusable because the colours
    are so intense as to make my eyes water.

    I emailed Hitachi (Australia) about this some time back, but never got a
    reply.

    Tony.
    Anthony Neville, Oct 13, 2003
  15. Paul Mathews wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:10:02 +1300, bt <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:47:17 +1300, Vince <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Daughter is after a 17" LCD to plug into her laptop at work...
    >>>
    >>>Samsung has been mentioned, any more? Favourites, dogs & lepers?

    >>The hitachi from Ascent gets rave reviews. I have one and it seems
    >>pretty damn good. vga and dvi. Comes with both cables and an erotic
    >>dancer *.
    >>

    > Mine now has a stuck pixel, but other than that its a Good Gaming monitor, but
    > I payed a lot less that what Ascent charges..

    Mine has a stuck pixel, too. Lucky for me it is situtated on the lower
    right corner; a part of the screen I don't focus on much. You're right
    about the LCD being a good gaming monitor. Zero motion blur, at least
    none that I've noticed.

    Tony.
    Anthony Neville, Oct 13, 2003
  16. Vince

    Paul Mathews Guest

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:18:06 +1300, Anthony Neville
    <> wrote:

    >bt wrote:
    >> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:47:17 +1300, Vince <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Daughter is after a 17" LCD to plug into her laptop at work...
    >>>
    >>>Samsung has been mentioned, any more? Favourites, dogs & lepers?

    >> The hitachi from Ascent gets rave reviews. I have one and it seems
    >> pretty damn good. vga and dvi. Comes with both cables and an erotic
    >> dancer *.

    >You have no problems with DVI out?
    >
    >I have an Hitachi CML174SXW. The analog output is excellent, but when
    >using DVI out, half the options in the OSD are disabled including
    >brightness/contrast controls, RGB levels and colour temperature
    >adjustments. So, with my monitor the DVI is unusable because the colours
    >are so intense as to make my eyes water.
    >
    >I emailed Hitachi (Australia) about this some time back, but never got a
    >reply.
    >
    >Tony.

    The Video card Driver has options to set all these, and the comments that
    you go on about are standard with ALL LCD Monitors when using the DVI Input.

    Yes I have also a CML174B and I use the DVI input, plus THE BIRGHTNESS IS
    AJUSTABLE, AS IT SET AT 100 AND SHOULD BE TURNED DOWN TO 10-20, this is even
    mentioned in some reviews of this monitor..
    Paul Mathews, Oct 14, 2003
  17. Paul Mathews wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:18:06 +1300, Anthony Neville
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>bt wrote:

    >>>The hitachi from Ascent gets rave reviews. I have one and it seems
    >>>pretty damn good. vga and dvi. Comes with both cables and an erotic
    >>>dancer *.

    >>You have no problems with DVI out?
    >>
    >>I have an Hitachi CML174SXW. The analog output is excellent, but when
    >>using DVI out, half the options in the OSD are disabled including
    >>brightness/contrast controls, RGB levels and colour temperature
    >>adjustments. So, with my monitor the DVI is unusable because the colours
    >>are so intense as to make my eyes water.
    >>
    >>I emailed Hitachi (Australia) about this some time back, but never got a
    >>reply.
    >>
    >>Tony.

    > The Video card Driver has options to set all these, and the comments that
    > you go on about are standard with ALL LCD Monitors when using the DVI Input.

    Good to know that it's me and not my LCD that is faulty.

    > Yes I have also a CML174B and I use the DVI input, plus THE BIRGHTNESS IS
    > AJUSTABLE, AS IT SET AT 100 AND SHOULD BE TURNED DOWN TO 10-20, this is even
    > mentioned in some reviews of this monitor..

    That's right. I had forgotten about it.

    Thanks Paul.
    Anthony Neville, Oct 14, 2003
  18. Paul Mathews wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:18:06 +1300, Anthony Neville
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>bt wrote:

    >>>The hitachi from Ascent gets rave reviews. I have one and it seems
    >>>pretty damn good. vga and dvi. Comes with both cables and an erotic
    >>>dancer *.

    >>You have no problems with DVI out?
    >>
    >>I have an Hitachi CML174SXW. The analog output is excellent, but when
    >>using DVI out, half the options in the OSD are disabled including
    >>brightness/contrast controls, RGB levels and colour temperature
    >>adjustments. So, with my monitor the DVI is unusable because the colours
    >>are so intense as to make my eyes water.
    >>
    >>I emailed Hitachi (Australia) about this some time back, but never got a
    >>reply.
    >>
    >>Tony.

    > The Video card Driver has options to set all these, and the comments that
    > you go on about are standard with ALL LCD Monitors when using the DVI Input.
    >
    > Yes I have also a CML174B and I use the DVI input, plus THE BIRGHTNESS IS
    > AJUSTABLE, AS IT SET AT 100 AND SHOULD BE TURNED DOWN TO 10-20, this is even
    > mentioned in some reviews of this monitor..

    After setting the brightness to zero, the display is still hard on the
    eyes. Whoa, Earthquake! Awwww, just one sharp jolt... Anyway, I need a
    util that will allow me to lower the intensity levels of the entire palette.

    Tony.
    Anthony Neville, Oct 14, 2003
  19. Vince

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Anthony Neville" wrote
    > After setting the brightness to zero, the display is still hard on the
    > eyes. Whoa, Earthquake! Awwww, just one sharp jolt... Anyway, I need a
    > util that will allow me to lower the intensity levels of the entire

    palette.

    www.iplaynz.com has a util for that, I use it at work when on some crappy
    IBM monitors in our office.

    It's called IPgamma.exe and comes with ipghook.dll in the zip file.
    T.N.O., Oct 14, 2003
  20. Anthony Neville wrote:
    > After setting the brightness to zero, the display is still hard on the
    > eyes. Whoa, Earthquake! Awwww, just one sharp jolt... Anyway, I need a
    > util that will allow me to lower the intensity levels of the entire
    > palette.

    Found it. Well done, me.

    Tony.
    Anthony Neville, Oct 14, 2003