lcd monitors

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Huebner, Feb 19, 2008.

  1. I recently got thinking about a larger lcd monitor. A.t.m. I've a 19" 1280x1024
    which is a very nice monitor, but my ageing eyes have some (increasing)
    problems with the resolution. I keep moving it closer and closer but it's
    already sitting on the edge of the desk now, about 50 cm away from my nose.

    I came across this one:
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=355900
    which is the one that actually set me thinking. Not too pricey @ around $1100,
    alas, no height adjustment but 27.5" at 1920x1200.
    But if Viewsonic can make them so cheaply, why are the Samsung 27" nearly twice
    as much?!?

    But then, as I looked further, I spotted this:
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=356499
    a Samsung 32" with a resolution of 1366x768 ???
    Is this beast going to look Very Chunky from a metre away? Is it usable as a
    monitor at all? It is called a monitor, please note, not a lcd-tv. But I have
    no experience of this kind of gadget, and there is no place within 200km to go
    look at one - so I am hoping somebody here might have seen something like that
    and be able to give me an opinion.

    regds, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Feb 19, 2008

  2. Peter Huebner

    Puddle Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > I recently got thinking about a larger lcd monitor. A.t.m. I've a 19" 1280x1024
    > which is a very nice monitor, but my ageing eyes have some (increasing)
    > problems with the resolution. I keep moving it closer and closer but it's
    > already sitting on the edge of the desk now, about 50 cm away from my nose.
    >
    > I came across this one:
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=355900
    > which is the one that actually set me thinking. Not too pricey @ around $1100,
    > alas, no height adjustment but 27.5" at 1920x1200.
    > But if Viewsonic can make them so cheaply, why are the Samsung 27" nearly twice
    > as much?!?
    >
    > But then, as I looked further, I spotted this:
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=356499
    > a Samsung 32" with a resolution of 1366x768 ???
    > Is this beast going to look Very Chunky from a metre away? Is it usable as a
    > monitor at all? It is called a monitor, please note, not a lcd-tv. But I have
    > no experience of this kind of gadget, and there is no place within 200km to go
    > look at one - so I am hoping somebody here might have seen something like that
    > and be able to give me an opinion.
    >
    > regds, -Peter

    Seems a very small resolution for the size of the screen which would be
    why it is priced cheaper than a samsung with decent resolution which are
    probably more than double the price at that screen size. I would
    definitely check one before you buy it, or go with the safer option and
    get the viewsonic, not such a great brand but the resolution is far
    superior.
    Puddle, Feb 19, 2008

  3. Peter Huebner

    Dave N Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    >I recently got thinking about a larger lcd monitor. A.t.m. I've a 19"
    >1280x1024
    > which is a very nice monitor, but my ageing eyes have some (increasing)
    > problems with the resolution. I keep moving it closer and closer but it's
    > already sitting on the edge of the desk now, about 50 cm away from my
    > nose.
    >
    > I came across this one:
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=355900
    > which is the one that actually set me thinking. Not too pricey @ around
    > $1100,
    > alas, no height adjustment but 27.5" at 1920x1200.
    > But if Viewsonic can make them so cheaply, why are the Samsung 27" nearly
    > twice
    > as much?!?
    >
    > But then, as I looked further, I spotted this:
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=356499
    > a Samsung 32" with a resolution of 1366x768 ???
    > Is this beast going to look Very Chunky from a metre away? Is it usable as
    > monitor at all? It is called a monitor, please note, not a lcd-tv. But I
    > have
    > no experience of this kind of gadget, and there is no place within 200km
    > to go
    > look at one - so I am hoping somebody here might have seen something like
    > that
    > and be able to give me an opinion.
    >
    > regds, -Peter

    > firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com

    I know what your saying Peter re the ol' eyes as I'm on the wrong side of 60
    by a fair margin. I've got one of those 28" Viewsonic monitors (actuall
    27.5") and it certainly suits me fine. I sit about 0.9m from the screen and
    with the text and icons on large it's damn brilliant. The inbuilt speakers
    are crap but I'm hooked up to a stereo anyway and as for the visual
    quality - just superb! (that's not just my opinion - those who have seen
    mine are all impressed). In fairness I'm driving the monitor with a top end
    graphics card but I imagine a middle range card would be fine.
    Cheers
    Dave
    Dave N, Feb 19, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 19, 2008
  5. Peter Huebner

    Puddle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>, Peter Huebner
    > did write:
    >
    >> But then, as I looked further, I spotted this:
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=356499
    >> a Samsung 32" with a resolution of 1366x768 ???

    > Sounds like it's for TV use. That's a common resolution for HD-ready TVs.

    And even for a HD TV that resolution is at the cheap end of the scale.
    Puddle, Feb 19, 2008
  6. Peter Huebner

    Guest

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:28:23 +1300, Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    >I recently got thinking about a larger lcd monitor. A.t.m. I've a 19" 1280x1024
    >which is a very nice monitor, but my ageing eyes have some (increasing)
    >problems with the resolution. I keep moving it closer and closer but it's
    >already sitting on the edge of the desk now, about 50 cm away from my nose.

    Lower the resolution and the things will get bigger also buy a pair of Monitor reading glasses, as
    that is what I use.

    >I came across this one:
    >http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=355900
    >which is the one that actually set me thinking. Not too pricey @ around $1100,
    >alas, no height adjustment but 27.5" at 1920x1200.
    >But if Viewsonic can make them so cheaply, why are the Samsung 27" nearly twice
    >as much?!?
    >
    >But then, as I looked further, I spotted this:
    >http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=356499
    >a Samsung 32" with a resolution of 1366x768 ???
    >Is this beast going to look Very Chunky from a metre away? Is it usable as a
    >monitor at all? It is called a monitor, please note, not a lcd-tv. But I have
    >no experience of this kind of gadget, and there is no place within 200km to go
    >look at one - so I am hoping somebody here might have seen something like that
    >and be able to give me an opinion.
    >
    >regds, -Peter

    When you make the repulsion higher and the screen bigger the Image will be the same Size..
    , Feb 19, 2008
  7. wrote:

    > When you make the repulsion higher and the screen bigger the Image will be the same Size..

    How high is your repulsion?
    dilberts_left_nut, Feb 20, 2008
  8. Peter Huebner

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 23:01:15 +1300, dilberts_left_nut <not@home>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >>
    >> When you make the repulsion higher and the screen bigger the Image will be the same Size..
    >>

    >How high is your repulsion?

    He is pretty repulsive.
    Nighthawk, Feb 20, 2008
  9. Peter Huebner

    Guest

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 23:01:15 +1300, dilberts_left_nut <not@home> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >>
    >> When you make the repulsion higher and the screen bigger the Image will be the same Size..
    >>

    >How high is your repulsion?

    A spell checker hickup that I did not see.

    Should read resolution
    , Feb 20, 2008