    drvnguy Guest

    What is best to use when its time to clean the surface or screen of the
    monitor ?

    drvnguy, Dec 26, 2003

  2. drvnguy

    °Mike° Guest

    A damp, soft lint-free cloth (do NOT use solvents!), or a dry,
    soft lint-free cloth with Isopropyl Alcohol. Clean with straight
    strokes, in one direction only.

    Under NO circumstances use any of the following, or substances
    based on them:

    Acetone
    Ammonia
    Ethyl Acid
    Ethyl Alcohol
    Methyl Chloride

    Do NOT use paper towels - they are abrasive.
    Only use "Computer Wipes" if they are specifically for LCD.

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 15:31:54 -0500, in
    <>
    drvnguy scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 26, 2003

  3. drvnguy

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 15:31:54 -0500, drvnguy wrote:

    >What is best to use when its time to clean the surface or screen of the
    >monitor ?

    I heard a barely damp very soft cloth.

    Since I just got one yesterday, checking the d/l manual just now ...
    it's a bit vague.

    Samsung 191T
    <http://www.samsung.com/Support/ProductSupport/download/Model_Select.aspx?type=Monitor&typecode=102050&subtype=&subtypecode=370016&model=191T&filetype=UM&language=>
    or shorter http://makeashorterlink.com/?T254325E6

    When cleaning the monitor case or the surface of the TFT-LCD, wipe
    with a slightly moistened, soft fabric.

    Do not spray detergent directly on the monitor.

    Use the recommended detergent with a smooth cloth.

    If the connector between the plug and the pin is dusty or dirty,
    clean it properly with a dry cloth.
    ... A dirty connector can cause an electric shock or fire.

    Do not set a glass of water, chemicals or any small metal objects
    on the monitor.
    ... This may cause damage, electric shock or a fire.
    ... If a foreign substance gets into the monitor, disconnect

    later on it also says ,

    3. When you clean the monitor and the panel outside, please apply the
    recommended small
    amount of cleaner by using soft and dry cloth and polish it. Let LCD
    area not to be forced
    but to be scrubbed out softly. If excessive force is applied, you can
    have a stain on it.

    There is nothing about what type of recommended cleaner....

    Me

    why?, Dec 26, 2003
  4. drvnguy

    Harrison Guest

    Windex works as well as anything.

    Harrison, Dec 26, 2003
  5. drvnguy

    Mad Ad Guest

    alcohol based spectacle wipes, only a couple of quid from boots

    Mad Ad, Dec 26, 2003
  6. drvnguy

    Zermut Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 16:15:01 -0500, Harrison
    <> wrote:

    >Windex works as well as anything.

    No. That is a bad idea. All LCD monitor owners manuals state that you
    do not use Windex on it because it will damage the special anti-glare
    coating on the LCD screen.

    Use only the special LCD screen spray which is Screen Guardian from
    Kensington which is found at Staples or Office Depot.

    Zermut

    Zermut, Dec 26, 2003
  7. drvnguy

    Harrison Guest

    Never had a problem with it.

    Harrison, Dec 26, 2003
  8. drvnguy

    M Mullen Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 18:07:56 -0500, Harrison <>
    wrote:

    (edited for readability)

    |> >No. That is a bad idea. All LCD monitor owners manuals state that you
    |> >do not use Windex on it because it will damage the special anti-glare
    |> >coating on the LCD screen.
    |> >
    |> >Use only the special LCD screen spray which is Screen Guardian from
    |> >Kensington which is found at Staples or Office Depot.
    |> >
    |> >Zermut

    |> Never had a problem with it.

    Trust him it's true.

    I've always used to use Windex, Got it clean and quick, I'd heard you should
    never use it, but I had no problems with it.

    Then I started to notice irregular blotches of the CRT monitor, you gotta look
    close but there there.

    Seems the other monitors I had were too cheap to put on the anti-glare, so there
    never was a problem. This monitor has/had it until the Ammonia in the Windex
    started eating away at it.

    Mike's advice is the one to follow here, it's sound.
    --
    ,,
    ( "> w

    M Mullen, Dec 27, 2003