    Thanks,
    Don

    , Aug 24, 2005

  2. Guest

    wrote:
    > After 7 years, it's time for a new monitor. Lot's of my time is spent
    > now on photo image editing. PC World test on 19" Lcd monitors gave very
    > good results for the Sony HS95P for viewing images, colours and
    > contrast, but a search brought up an owner who said he couldn't edit on
    > it.
    > Does anyone have experience of image editing on a recent LCD monitor?
    > Thanks,
    > Don

    A couple of things we've noticed at our office (we make web apps):

    First, the colours seem to change depending on the angle you see them.
    On more than one occasion I've noticed a nice background gradient on a
    website only to find out there isn't actually one there.

    Second, subtle shades of gray often go unnoticed till the designer
    complains we have butchered his work.

    On the other hand, my gf really enjoys photo editing with a LCD because
    of how much more crisp the photos appear. The brighter colours really
    are nice.

    , Aug 24, 2005

  3. frederick Guest

    wrote:
    > After 7 years, it's time for a new monitor. Lot's of my time is spent
    > now on photo image editing. PC World test on 19" Lcd monitors gave very
    > good results for the Sony HS95P for viewing images, colours and
    > contrast, but a search brought up an owner who said he couldn't edit on
    > it.
    > Does anyone have experience of image editing on a recent LCD monitor?
    > Thanks,
    > Don

    I have the same dilemna...
    I am extremely reluctant to replace my CRT with an LCD, as the CRT gives
    me adequate to excellent colour accuracy with no profiling other than
    Adobe Gamma. I'm very cautious about computer magazine reviews on
    equipment used for serious photography.
    For now, I'm tempted to defer changing to LCD and just buy a second hand
    quality CRT to keep me going until LCDs improve.

    Form what I read, as well as colour changing due to viewing angle,
    greyscale contrast isn't good, manufacturers claims on contrast ratios
    are misleading because of no standards for testing, and the LCD
    backlights lose intensity over time, further reducing contrast.

    frederick, Aug 25, 2005
  4. Rob Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > After 7 years, it's time for a new monitor. Lot's of my time is spent
    > now on photo image editing. PC World test on 19" Lcd monitors gave very
    > good results for the Sony HS95P for viewing images, colours and
    > contrast, but a search brought up an owner who said he couldn't edit on
    > it.
    > Does anyone have experience of image editing on a recent LCD monitor?
    > Thanks,
    > Don

    Yes I do photo editing, and purchased the Sony HS95P. It is good for photo
    editing and is one of the best LCD screens I have seen in terms of colour
    reproduction. However mine had pixel defects, and I have been waiting over a
    month for them to replace it with a new one. Supposedly there aren't any in
    stock. Would recommend that you check it in the shop before you purchase it.

    Rob, Aug 25, 2005
  5. Rob Guest

    "frederick" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    > > After 7 years, it's time for a new monitor. Lot's of my time is spent
    > > now on photo image editing. PC World test on 19" Lcd monitors gave very
    > > good results for the Sony HS95P for viewing images, colours and
    > > contrast, but a search brought up an owner who said he couldn't edit on
    > > it.
    > > Does anyone have experience of image editing on a recent LCD monitor?
    > > Thanks,
    > > Don
    > >

    > I have the same dilemna...
    > I am extremely reluctant to replace my CRT with an LCD, as the CRT gives
    > me adequate to excellent colour accuracy with no profiling other than
    > Adobe Gamma. I'm very cautious about computer magazine reviews on
    > equipment used for serious photography.
    > For now, I'm tempted to defer changing to LCD and just buy a second hand
    > quality CRT to keep me going until LCDs improve.
    >
    > Form what I read, as well as colour changing due to viewing angle,
    > greyscale contrast isn't good, manufacturers claims on contrast ratios
    > are misleading because of no standards for testing, and the LCD
    > backlights lose intensity over time, further reducing contrast.

    One thing to remember is that Apple computers almost all come with LCD
    monitors, and Apples are largely used by graphics people.

    Rob, Aug 25, 2005
  6. Mike Dee Guest

    wrote in

    > After 7 years, it's time for a new monitor. Lot's of my time is
    > spent now on photo image editing. PC World test on 19" Lcd
    > monitors gave very good results for the Sony HS95P for viewing
    > images, colours and contrast, but a search brought up an owner who
    > said he couldn't edit on it.
    > Does anyone have experience of image editing on a recent LCD
    > monitor? Thanks,

    Recently began using a Samsung SyncMaster 913B 19" display. I find it
    good and adequate for image editing. Can't say it's as good as some
    CRTs but what I have noticed is it isn't nearly as hard or damaging on
    my eyes as CRT's were. I can stare at this thing for hours without my
    eyes feeling sore or tired. Crisp and clear. Samsung's zero dead pixel
    warranty is good too. I think it will do me for a couple of years yet.

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Aug 25, 2005
  7. akiwi Guest

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:41:52 +1200, Rob wrote:

    >"frederick" <> wrote in message

    [snip]
    >> For now, I'm tempted to defer changing to LCD and just buy a second hand
    >> quality CRT to keep me going until LCDs improve.
    >>
    >> Form what I read, as well as colour changing due to viewing angle,
    >> greyscale contrast isn't good, manufacturers claims on contrast ratios
    >> are misleading because of no standards for testing, and the LCD
    >> backlights lose intensity over time, further reducing contrast.

    >One thing to remember is that Apple computers almost all come with LCD
    >monitors, and Apples are largely used by graphics people.

    And the Dell 2005FPW uses the same LCD panel as the Apple Cinema display
    for a lot less money.

    akiwi, Aug 25, 2005
  8. Deadmeat Guest

    > A couple of things we've noticed at our office (we make web apps):
    >
    > First, the colours seem to change depending on the angle you see them.
    > On more than one occasion I've noticed a nice background gradient on a
    > website only to find out there isn't actually one there.
    >
    > Second, subtle shades of gray often go unnoticed till the designer
    > complains we have butchered his work.
    >
    > On the other hand, my gf really enjoys photo editing with a LCD because
    > of how much more crisp the photos appear. The brighter colours really
    > are nice.

    What model are you using? At a guess the problem sounds like something
    to do with monitors using dithering to fake producing 16.2 million
    colours. Its a common practice to use 6bit panels on <16ms LCDs which
    can only legitimately produce around 260,000 colours and then use
    dithering to make it seem like they are showing more colours than are
    capable of.

    A larger number of 16ms LCDs are made with 8bit panels which can produce
    a proper 16.7 million colours without resorting to dithering.

    6bit:
    2^6 = 64 colours per channel (red,blue,green)
    64*64*64 = 262144 real colours

    8bit:
    2^8 = 256 colours per channel
    256*256*256 = 16.7m real colours

    Combine an 8bit panel with a DVI connection which transfers the digital
    RGB values through the cable rather than analogue voltages (VGA) and in
    theory you should have very accurate colour reproduction. Once the
    monitor is properly calibrated of course. Thats my understanding anyhow.
    :)

    Deadmeat, Aug 25, 2005
  9. Kent Smith Guest

    wrote:
    > After 7 years, it's time for a new monitor. Lot's of my time is spent
    > now on photo image editing. PC World test on 19" Lcd monitors gave
    > very good results for the Sony HS95P for viewing images, colours and
    > contrast, but a search brought up an owner who said he couldn't edit
    > on it.
    > Does anyone have experience of image editing on a recent LCD monitor?
    > Thanks,
    > Don

    If it is in fact "LOTS of your time", I'd stick with CRT. LCD screw with
    colour temperatures and ramps. Some are better than others apparently but
    I've never found one.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Aug 25, 2005
  10. Rob Guest

    "akiwi" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:41:52 +1200, Rob wrote:
    >

    >>"frederick" <> wrote in message

    > [snip]
    >>> For now, I'm tempted to defer changing to LCD and just buy a second hand
    >>> quality CRT to keep me going until LCDs improve.
    >>>
    >>> Form what I read, as well as colour changing due to viewing angle,
    >>> greyscale contrast isn't good, manufacturers claims on contrast ratios
    >>> are misleading because of no standards for testing, and the LCD
    >>> backlights lose intensity over time, further reducing contrast.

    >>One thing to remember is that Apple computers almost all come with LCD
    >>monitors, and Apples are largely used by graphics people.
    >>

    > And the Dell 2005FPW uses the same LCD panel as the Apple Cinema display
    > for a lot less money.

    Same panel, but supposedly a different backlight and electronic controller,
    which can make a lot of difference

    Rob, Aug 26, 2005
  11. Deadmeat Guest

    Rob wrote:

    >>And the Dell 2005FPW uses the same LCD panel as the Apple Cinema display
    >>for a lot less money.

    > Same panel, but supposedly a different backlight and electronic controller,
    > which can make a lot of difference

    Heres a side by side review of the two
    http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2400

    Deadmeat, Aug 26, 2005
  12. BTMO Guest

    <> wrote

    > After 7 years, it's time for a new monitor. Lot's of my time is spent
    > now on photo image editing. PC World test on 19" Lcd monitors gave very
    > good results for the Sony HS95P for viewing images, colours and
    > contrast, but a search brought up an owner who said he couldn't edit on
    > it.
    > Does anyone have experience of image editing on a recent LCD monitor?

    Don - I find this site generally informative on such things...

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/

    There are a number of articles on LCD monitors - and they have a good usable
    search tool!

    :)

    Cheers,

    Brenton