LCD Monitors (again)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by David, Mar 28, 2006.

  1. David

    David Guest

    Have a son looking for a 17" - 19" LCD monitor. 17" makes more sense to me
    as 19" offers no better resolution, but he is keen on 19". Wants LCD due
    to the physical size. Limited interest in games - video probably more an
    issue.

    From info on various review sites it seems most affordable consumer LCD
    screens are still short of the mark. Best of those readily available in NZ
    appears to be the Viewsonic VP930 (though sadly, its image quality seems to
    be worse than that of the VP191 it replaced). However, around $900 seems
    rather costly for a 1280 resolution monitor. It seems to me that given the
    current state of the art, he may as well get an "adequate" cheaper monitor
    with a view to getting something better in 3 - 4 yrs.

    Does anyone have experience with the following cheaper monitors that seem
    likely candidates

    - Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but some
    reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.

    - Dell (!!!) 1907FP seems to get high ratings on a couple of sites, though
    looking at the details shows that the high ratings comes more from
    features, rather than image quality.

    - AG Neovo E19A seems to get mostly favourable feedback from users, but the
    "professional" reviews are not so positive. Also, this model appears to
    have 25ms response time and no DVI. Their Australian site has an "E19" (no
    "A") model which has much better specs, but it does not seem to be
    available here.

    I would be keen to get feedback from anyone who has experience with any of
    the above (or indeed any other moderate priced LCD monitors)

    David

    BTW - a couple of interesting articles
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista_hdcp_lcd_roundup/default.asp
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista-ready_hdcp_lcd_roundup/default.asp

    In particular
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista_hdcp_lcd_roundup/page13.asp
    - colour accuracy of some LCDs now better than that of a high end CRT !

    Alas these monitors are a bit beyond our budget (assuming they were
    available in NZ).

    David, Mar 28, 2006

  2. "David" <> wrote in message

    > Does anyone have experience with the following cheaper monitors that seem
    > likely candidates
    >
    > - Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but some
    > reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.
    >
    > - Dell (!!!) 1907FP seems to get high ratings on a couple of sites, though
    > looking at the details shows that the high ratings comes more from
    > features, rather than image quality.
    >
    > - AG Neovo E19A seems to get mostly favourable feedback from users, but
    > the
    > "professional" reviews are not so positive. Also, this model appears to
    > have 25ms response time and no DVI. Their Australian site has an "E19"
    > (no
    > "A") model which has much better specs, but it does not seem to be
    > available here.
    >
    > I would be keen to get feedback from anyone who has experience with any of
    > the above (or indeed any other moderate priced LCD monitors)

    Have a look on this post: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/14 for some
    ideas...

    --

    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm,

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Mar 28, 2006

  3. David

    ~misfit~ Guest

    David wrote:
    > Have a son looking for a 17" - 19" LCD monitor. 17" makes more sense
    > to me as 19" offers no better resolution, but he is keen on 19".
    > Wants LCD due to the physical size. Limited interest in games -
    > video probably more an issue.
    >
    > From info on various review sites it seems most affordable consumer
    > LCD screens are still short of the mark. Best of those readily
    > available in NZ appears to be the Viewsonic VP930 (though sadly, its
    > image quality seems to be worse than that of the VP191 it replaced).
    > However, around $900 seems rather costly for a 1280 resolution
    > monitor. It seems to me that given the current state of the art, he
    > may as well get an "adequate" cheaper monitor with a view to getting
    > something better in 3 - 4 yrs.
    >
    > Does anyone have experience with the following cheaper monitors that
    > seem likely candidates
    >
    > - Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but
    > some reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.
    >
    > - Dell (!!!) 1907FP seems to get high ratings on a couple of sites,
    > though looking at the details shows that the high ratings comes more
    > from features, rather than image quality.
    >
    > - AG Neovo E19A seems to get mostly favourable feedback from users,
    > but the "professional" reviews are not so positive. Also, this model
    > appears to have 25ms response time and no DVI. Their Australian site
    > has an "E19" (no "A") model which has much better specs, but it does
    > not seem to be available here.
    >
    > I would be keen to get feedback from anyone who has experience with
    > any of the above (or indeed any other moderate priced LCD monitors)

    I recently bought a 19" from DSE. It doesn't look that great on paper, 1280
    res, 450:1 contrast, 16ms response, no DVI input. $550. However, DSE have a
    no questions asked return policy within 14 days (as long as all packaging is
    retained and undamaged) so I took one home.

    I still have it. I'm quite happy with it, no stuck or dead pixels, I'm happy
    with the picture. The built-in speakers aren't up to much, I stopped using
    them after the first day. However, all-in-all, I'm happy with it. With all
    the extra desk-space I'd hate to go back to a CRT now.

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XC5593

    I have no knowledge or experience with the others you mentioned.

    Good luck.
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Mar 28, 2006
  4. David

    krazy Bob Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    > Have a son looking for a 17" - 19" LCD monitor. 17" makes more sense to
    > me
    > as 19" offers no better resolution, but he is keen on 19". Wants LCD due
    > to the physical size. Limited interest in games - video probably more an
    > issue.
    >
    > From info on various review sites it seems most affordable consumer LCD
    > screens are still short of the mark. Best of those readily available in
    > NZ
    > appears to be the Viewsonic VP930 (though sadly, its image quality seems
    > be worse than that of the VP191 it replaced). However, around $900 seems
    > rather costly for a 1280 resolution monitor. It seems to me that given
    > the
    > current state of the art, he may as well get an "adequate" cheaper monitor
    > with a view to getting something better in 3 - 4 yrs.
    >
    > Does anyone have experience with the following cheaper monitors that seem
    > likely candidates
    >
    > - Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but some
    > reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.
    >
    > - Dell (!!!) 1907FP seems to get high ratings on a couple of sites, though
    > looking at the details shows that the high ratings comes more from
    > features, rather than image quality.
    >
    > - AG Neovo E19A seems to get mostly favourable feedback from users, but
    > the
    > "professional" reviews are not so positive. Also, this model appears to
    > have 25ms response time and no DVI. Their Australian site has an "E19"
    > (no
    > "A") model which has much better specs, but it does not seem to be
    > available here.
    >
    > I would be keen to get feedback from anyone who has experience with any of
    > the above (or indeed any other moderate priced LCD monitors)
    >
    > David
    >

    > BTW - a couple of interesting articles
    > http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista_hdcp_lcd_roundup/default.asp
    > http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista-ready_hdcp_lcd_roundup/default.asp
    >
    > In particular
    > http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista_hdcp_lcd_roundup/page13.asp
    > - colour accuracy of some LCDs now better than that of a high end CRT !
    >
    > Alas these monitors are a bit beyond our budget (assuming they were
    > available in NZ).

    Dell is simply a samsung branded model.
    Samsung from what ive heard from gamers and graphic design people seem to be
    one of the best makers out there.

    Toms Hardwar has just recently did a article on the latest and greatest LCD
    monitors out there,
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/03/27/the_spring_2006_lcd_collection/

    Im looking to get a LCD screen and was leaning towards getting Samsung
    Syncmaster 930BF offers good spec's overall. But to me it was a bit pricey
    so i thought id look around a bit more and i found a site that offered the
    same model for a $130 cheaper.

    Then this morning check out toms hardware and read the article so im back to
    square one with what to get.

    Theres a new 2ms viewsonic model out that seems to be great for games.
    haven't checked out the price yet so can't comment on it.

    Cheers
    KB

    krazy Bob, Mar 28, 2006
  5. David

    krazy Bob Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > David wrote:
    >> Have a son looking for a 17" - 19" LCD monitor. 17" makes more sense
    >> to me as 19" offers no better resolution, but he is keen on 19".
    >> Wants LCD due to the physical size. Limited interest in games -
    >> video probably more an issue.
    >>
    >> From info on various review sites it seems most affordable consumer
    >> LCD screens are still short of the mark. Best of those readily
    >> available in NZ appears to be the Viewsonic VP930 (though sadly, its
    >> image quality seems to be worse than that of the VP191 it replaced).
    >> However, around $900 seems rather costly for a 1280 resolution
    >> monitor. It seems to me that given the current state of the art, he
    >> may as well get an "adequate" cheaper monitor with a view to getting
    >> something better in 3 - 4 yrs.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have experience with the following cheaper monitors that
    >> seem likely candidates
    >>
    >> - Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but
    >> some reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.
    >>
    >> - Dell (!!!) 1907FP seems to get high ratings on a couple of sites,
    >> though looking at the details shows that the high ratings comes more
    >> from features, rather than image quality.
    >>
    >> - AG Neovo E19A seems to get mostly favourable feedback from users,
    >> but the "professional" reviews are not so positive. Also, this model
    >> appears to have 25ms response time and no DVI. Their Australian site
    >> has an "E19" (no "A") model which has much better specs, but it does
    >> not seem to be available here.
    >>
    >> I would be keen to get feedback from anyone who has experience with
    >> any of the above (or indeed any other moderate priced LCD monitors)

    > I recently bought a 19" from DSE. It doesn't look that great on paper,
    > 1280 res, 450:1 contrast, 16ms response, no DVI input. $550. However, DSE
    > have a no questions asked return policy within 14 days (as long as all
    > packaging is retained and undamaged) so I took one home.
    >
    > I still have it. I'm quite happy with it, no stuck or dead pixels, I'm
    > happy with the picture. The built-in speakers aren't up to much, I stopped
    > using them after the first day. However, all-in-all, I'm happy with it.
    > With all the extra desk-space I'd hate to go back to a CRT now.
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XC5593
    >
    > I have no knowledge or experience with the others you mentioned.
    >
    > Good luck.
    > --
    > ~Shaun~

    I have seen misfits lcd screen and i learnt then not to judge a book by its
    cover, yes it looks dull and has DSE plastered on it, but it does pretty
    good image reproduction when playing WoW and comparing that to a CRT with
    same resolution.

    KB

    krazy Bob, Mar 28, 2006
  6. David

    krazy Bob Guest

    "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > "David" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Does anyone have experience with the following cheaper monitors that seem
    >> likely candidates
    >>
    >> - Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but some
    >> reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.
    >>
    >> - Dell (!!!) 1907FP seems to get high ratings on a couple of sites,
    >> though
    >> looking at the details shows that the high ratings comes more from
    >> features, rather than image quality.
    >>
    >> - AG Neovo E19A seems to get mostly favourable feedback from users, but
    >> the
    >> "professional" reviews are not so positive. Also, this model appears to
    >> have 25ms response time and no DVI. Their Australian site has an "E19"
    >> (no
    >> "A") model which has much better specs, but it does not seem to be
    >> available here.
    >>
    >> I would be keen to get feedback from anyone who has experience with any
    >> of
    >> the above (or indeed any other moderate priced LCD monitors)
    >>

    > Have a look on this post: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/14 for some
    > ideas...

    How can you derive any idea's from that article or blog. Its simply a post
    from someone giving his experience on buying a lcd and going through the
    processes involved in making a decision.

    KB

    krazy Bob, Mar 28, 2006
  7. David

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    > Have a son looking for a 17" - 19" LCD monitor. 17" makes more sense to
    > me
    > as 19" offers no better resolution, but he is keen on 19". Wants LCD due
    > to the physical size. Limited interest in games - video probably more an
    > issue.
    >
    > From info on various review sites it seems most affordable consumer LCD
    > screens are still short of the mark. Best of those readily available in
    > NZ
    > appears to be the Viewsonic VP930 (though sadly, its image quality seems
    > be worse than that of the VP191 it replaced). However, around $900 seems
    > rather costly for a 1280 resolution monitor. It seems to me that given
    > the
    > current state of the art, he may as well get an "adequate" cheaper monitor
    > with a view to getting something better in 3 - 4 yrs.
    >
    > Does anyone have experience with the following cheaper monitors that seem
    > likely candidates
    >
    > - Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but some
    > reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.
    >
    > - Dell (!!!) 1907FP seems to get high ratings on a couple of sites, though
    > looking at the details shows that the high ratings comes more from
    > features, rather than image quality.
    >
    > - AG Neovo E19A seems to get mostly favourable feedback from users, but
    > the
    > "professional" reviews are not so positive. Also, this model appears to
    > have 25ms response time and no DVI. Their Australian site has an "E19"
    > (no
    > "A") model which has much better specs, but it does not seem to be
    > available here.
    >
    > I would be keen to get feedback from anyone who has experience with any of
    > the above (or indeed any other moderate priced LCD monitors)
    >
    > David

    Harvey Norman have a stack of them from about $750 up. One model is a 19"
    widescreen.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Mar 28, 2006
  8. "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message

    > "David" <> wrote in message
    >> Have a son looking for a 17" - 19" LCD monitor. 17" makes more sense to
    >> me
    >> as 19" offers no better resolution, but he is keen on 19". Wants LCD due
    >> to the physical size. Limited interest in games - video probably more an
    >> issue.
    >>
    >> From info on various review sites it seems most affordable consumer LCD
    >> screens are still short of the mark. Best of those readily available in
    >> NZ
    >> appears to be the Viewsonic VP930 (though sadly, its image quality seems
    >> be worse than that of the VP191 it replaced). However, around $900 seems
    >> rather costly for a 1280 resolution monitor. It seems to me that given
    >> the
    >> current state of the art, he may as well get an "adequate" cheaper
    >> monitor
    >> with a view to getting something better in 3 - 4 yrs.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have experience with the following cheaper monitors that seem
    >> likely candidates
    >>
    >> - Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but some
    >> reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.
    >>
    >> - Dell (!!!) 1907FP seems to get high ratings on a couple of sites,
    >> though
    >> looking at the details shows that the high ratings comes more from
    >> features, rather than image quality.
    >>
    >> - AG Neovo E19A seems to get mostly favourable feedback from users, but
    >> the
    >> "professional" reviews are not so positive. Also, this model appears to
    >> have 25ms response time and no DVI. Their Australian site has an "E19"
    >> (no
    >> "A") model which has much better specs, but it does not seem to be
    >> available here.
    >>
    >> I would be keen to get feedback from anyone who has experience with any
    >> of
    >> the above (or indeed any other moderate priced LCD monitors)
    >>
    >> David

    > Harvey Norman have a stack of them from about $750 up. One model is a 19"
    > widescreen.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    For which model?

    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 28, 2006
  9. David

    MarkH Guest

    David <> wrote in

    > Have a son looking for a 17" - 19" LCD monitor. 17" makes more sense
    > to me as 19" offers no better resolution, but he is keen on 19".

    Why does 17" make more sense? A 19" is larger with the same res, so
    everything won't be so tiny. You can run a 19" LCD at 1280x1024 and
    actually read stuff without squinting or fetching a magnifying glass.

    > Does anyone have experience with the following cheaper monitors that
    > seem likely candidates
    >
    > - Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but
    > some reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.

    I have this and am very happy with it. I use the digital input and get a
    very nice sharp image.

    600:1 contrast ratio
    8ms response time
    19.1" viewable (my 19" CRT has 17.8" viewable)
    Great warranty

    I play games and watch TV programs and movies on it. I am very happy with
    my purchase!

    I would prefer the Philips 23" widescreen though (1920 x 1200).

    > I would be keen to get feedback from anyone who has experience with
    > any of the above (or indeed any other moderate priced LCD monitors)

    I have no experience with the other models you mentioned. But Philips make
    a good product and give it a good warranty.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Mar 28, 2006
  10. David

    David Guest

    On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 03:01:27 GMT, MarkH wrote:

    > Why does 17" make more sense? A 19" is larger with the same res, so
    > everything won't be so tiny. You can run a 19" LCD at 1280x1024 and
    > actually read stuff without squinting or fetching a magnifying glass.

    Price. Run my 19" (/18") CRT at 1600 (& 15" laptop @ 1400), so 17" at 1280
    should be a cinch. For my use, pixels count more than screen size.

    >> - Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but
    >> some reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.

    > I have this and am very happy with it. I use the digital input and get a
    > very nice sharp image.
    >
    > 600:1 contrast ratio
    > 8ms response time
    > 19.1" viewable (my 19" CRT has 17.8" viewable)
    > Great warranty
    >
    > I play games and watch TV programs and movies on it. I am very happy with
    > my purchase!

    Thanks. Exactly the type of feedback I am hoping for.

    Now considering 190B6 vs 190P6. Extra $40, but LightFrame & SmartBright
    may be worth it?

    David

    David, Mar 28, 2006
  11. David

    PC Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    > Have a son looking for a 17" - 19" LCD monitor. 17" makes more sense to
    > me
    > as 19" offers no better resolution, but he is keen on 19". Wants LCD due
    > to the physical size. Limited interest in games - video probably more an
    > issue.
    >
    > From info on various review sites it seems most affordable consumer LCD
    > screens are still short of the mark. Best of those readily available in
    > NZ
    > appears to be the Viewsonic VP930 (though sadly, its image quality seems
    > be worse than that of the VP191 it replaced). However, around $900 seems
    > rather costly for a 1280 resolution monitor. It seems to me that given
    > the
    > current state of the art, he may as well get an "adequate" cheaper monitor
    > with a view to getting something better in 3 - 4 yrs.
    >
    > Does anyone have experience with the following cheaper monitors that seem
    > likely candidates
    >
    > - Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but some
    > reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.
    >
    > - Dell (!!!) 1907FP seems to get high ratings on a couple of sites, though
    > looking at the details shows that the high ratings comes more from
    > features, rather than image quality.
    >
    > - AG Neovo E19A seems to get mostly favourable feedback from users, but
    > the
    > "professional" reviews are not so positive. Also, this model appears to
    > have 25ms response time and no DVI. Their Australian site has an "E19"
    > (no
    > "A") model which has much better specs, but it does not seem to be
    > available here.
    >
    > I would be keen to get feedback from anyone who has experience with any of
    > the above (or indeed any other moderate priced LCD monitors)
    >
    > David
    >

    > BTW - a couple of interesting articles
    > http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista_hdcp_lcd_roundup/default.asp
    > http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista-ready_hdcp_lcd_roundup/default.asp
    >
    > In particular
    > http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista_hdcp_lcd_roundup/page13.asp
    > - colour accuracy of some LCDs now better than that of a high end CRT !
    >
    > Alas these monitors are a bit beyond our budget (assuming they were
    > available in NZ).

    Was in DSE Powerhouse Hamilton yesterday.
    Looked at the DSE 17" LCD and a brand name (sorry can't remember) 17" LCD
    sitting right next to one another.
    Both displaying the same screen saver, one of those waves radiating out from
    a drop of water type things. lots of colours, shades and movement.

    Buggered if I could see any difference.

    Just my 2c

    Paul.

    PC, Mar 28, 2006
  12. "krazy Bob" <> wrote in message

    > "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >> "David" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I would be keen to get feedback from anyone who has experience with any
    >>> of
    >>> the above (or indeed any other moderate priced LCD monitors)
    >>>

    >> Have a look on this post: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/14 for some
    >> ideas...
    >>

    > How can you derive any idea's from that article or blog. Its simply a post
    > from someone giving his experience on buying a lcd and going through the
    > processes involved in making a decision.
    >
    > KB

    He asked about some recommendations - I say tha AOC seems to be a good one,
    and way cheaper than what he was thinking of. If the plan is to have one
    that lasts until something better comes through - this is the way to go.
    $560 and with 3 years warranty...

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Mar 28, 2006
  13. > Have a son looking for a 17" - 19" LCD monitor. 17" makes more sense to
    > me
    > as 19" offers no better resolution, but he is keen on 19". Wants LCD due
    > to the physical size. Limited interest in games - video probably more an
    > issue.

    Widescreen video?

    I've got a viewsonic VA1912 19" widescreen LCD and it seems quite good so
    far. No ghosting in games.

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Mar 28, 2006
  14. David

    John Guest

    On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:18:24 +1200, David wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 03:01:27 GMT, MarkH wrote:
    >
    >> Why does 17" make more sense? A 19" is larger with the same res, so
    >> everything won't be so tiny. You can run a 19" LCD at 1280x1024 and
    >> actually read stuff without squinting or fetching a magnifying glass.

    > Price. Run my 19" (/18") CRT at 1600 (& 15" laptop @ 1400), so 17" at 1280
    > should be a cinch. For my use, pixels count more than screen size.
    >

    >>> - Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but
    >>> some reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.

    >> I have this and am very happy with it. I use the digital input and get a
    >> very nice sharp image.
    >>
    >> 600:1 contrast ratio
    >> 8ms response time
    >> 19.1" viewable (my 19" CRT has 17.8" viewable)
    >> Great warranty
    >>
    >> I play games and watch TV programs and movies on it. I am very happy with
    >> my purchase!

    > Thanks. Exactly the type of feedback I am hoping for.
    >
    > Now considering 190B6 vs 190P6. Extra $40, but LightFrame & SmartBright
    > may be worth it?
    >
    > David

    Aware it's not in the price range but I've just purchased a Samsung
    SyncMaster 214T, very pleased. My neighbour has just upgraded to an
    AOC LM925 $538 and for the money it seems a very nice monitor.

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Mar 28, 2006
  15. David

    bambam Guest

    > Have a look on this post: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/14 for some
    > ideas...

    Hi Mauricio, I think you will find that the monitor that you looked at, at
    DSE, was a CMV and not a VMC. They are made by the Chi Mei Corporation
    along with the Polyview brand LCDs-

    http://www.cmv.com.tw/en/default.asp

    How do I know this useless piece of information? Well about a year ago I
    went looking for a cheap LCD. As CMV were the cheapest at the time, and
    still are, I did some study. They stack up pretty well, and I have not
    regretted my desision to buy one. :)

    bambam, Mar 28, 2006
  16. David

    MarkH Guest

    David <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 03:01:27 GMT, MarkH wrote:
    >
    >> Why does 17" make more sense? A 19" is larger with the same res, so
    >> everything won't be so tiny. You can run a 19" LCD at 1280x1024 and
    >> actually read stuff without squinting or fetching a magnifying glass.

    > Price. Run my 19" (/18") CRT at 1600 (& 15" laptop @ 1400), so 17" at
    > 1280 should be a cinch. For my use, pixels count more than screen
    > size.

    20" LCD screens are usually 1600 x 1200 which may suit you better, but I
    thought that you said the screen wasn't for you anyway?

    The one I want is 1920 x 1200, but it is about $1500+GST - still 23"
    widescreen would be pretty damn nice!

    Interestingly I have a customer that replaced his Sony 21" CRT with a
    Philips 20.1" LCD which I thought looked great. But he didn't like how
    tiny everything looked, so he runs it at 800 x 600. To me it looks
    noticeably less sharp, but I would have thought that 800 x 600 would be
    sharp because there is exactly 4 pixels on the screen for each of the 800 x
    600. On a 1600 x 1200 shouldn't 800 x 600 be sharper than 1024 x 768 or
    1280 x 1024?

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Mar 28, 2006
  17. "bambam" <> wrote in message
    > "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Have a look on this post: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/14 for some
    >> ideas...

    > Hi Mauricio, I think you will find that the monitor that you looked at, at
    > DSE, was a CMV and not a VMC. They are made by the Chi Mei Corporation
    > along with the Polyview brand LCDs-
    >
    > http://www.cmv.com.tw/en/default.asp
    >
    > How do I know this useless piece of information? Well about a year ago I
    > went looking for a cheap LCD. As CMV were the cheapest at the time, and
    > still are, I did some study. They stack up pretty well, and I have not
    > regretted my desision to buy one. :)

    Yes, you are right there...

    The thing is, it was Saturday and needed a monitor. The person couldn't tell
    me what the dead pixel policy was, and no one was available on the
    distributor. So I decided not to buy it

    If it was something like Monday, and I had more time (not an urgent thing
    like "my LCD blew up and I need to keep working") then I would keep looking
    at these - they were really nice, with built-in speakers and USB 2.0.

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Mar 28, 2006
  18. David

    ~misfit~ Guest

    PC wrote:
    > "David" <> wrote in message
    >> Have a son looking for a 17" - 19" LCD monitor. 17" makes more
    >> sense to me
    >> as 19" offers no better resolution, but he is keen on 19". Wants
    >> LCD due to the physical size. Limited interest in games - video
    >> probably more an issue.
    >>
    >> From info on various review sites it seems most affordable consumer
    >> LCD screens are still short of the mark. Best of those readily
    >> available in NZ
    >> appears to be the Viewsonic VP930 (though sadly, its image quality
    >> seems to
    >> be worse than that of the VP191 it replaced). However, around $900
    >> seems rather costly for a 1280 resolution monitor. It seems to me
    >> that given the
    >> current state of the art, he may as well get an "adequate" cheaper
    >> monitor with a view to getting something better in 3 - 4 yrs.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have experience with the following cheaper monitors that
    >> seem likely candidates
    >>
    >> - Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but
    >> some reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.
    >>
    >> - Dell (!!!) 1907FP seems to get high ratings on a couple of sites,
    >> though looking at the details shows that the high ratings comes more
    >> from features, rather than image quality.
    >>
    >> - AG Neovo E19A seems to get mostly favourable feedback from users,
    >> but the
    >> "professional" reviews are not so positive. Also, this model appears
    >> to have 25ms response time and no DVI. Their Australian site has an
    >> "E19" (no
    >> "A") model which has much better specs, but it does not seem to be
    >> available here.
    >>
    >> I would be keen to get feedback from anyone who has experience with
    >> any of the above (or indeed any other moderate priced LCD monitors)
    >>
    >> David
    >>

    >> BTW - a couple of interesting articles
    >> http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista_hdcp_lcd_roundup/default.asp
    >> http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista-ready_hdcp_lcd_roundup/default.asp
    >>
    >> In particular
    >> http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista_hdcp_lcd_roundup/page13.asp
    >> - colour accuracy of some LCDs now better than that of a high end
    >> CRT ! Alas these monitors are a bit beyond our budget (assuming they were
    >> available in NZ).

    > Was in DSE Powerhouse Hamilton yesterday.
    > Looked at the DSE 17" LCD and a brand name (sorry can't remember) 17"
    > LCD sitting right next to one another.
    > Both displaying the same screen saver, one of those waves radiating
    > out from a drop of water type things. lots of colours, shades and
    > movement.
    > Buggered if I could see any difference.

    I'm happy with my DSE 19" monitor. It was about the same price as brand-name
    17" monitors.
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Mar 28, 2006
  19. David

    RJ Guest

    In article <1rx9821xig2bw$.g2ywufgf6goi$>,
    says...
    > Have a son looking for a 17" - 19" LCD monitor. 17" makes more sense to me
    > as 19" offers no better resolution, but he is keen on 19". Wants LCD due
    > to the physical size. Limited interest in games - video probably more an
    > issue.
    >
    > From info on various review sites it seems most affordable consumer LCD
    > screens are still short of the mark. Best of those readily available in NZ
    > appears to be the Viewsonic VP930 (though sadly, its image quality seems to
    > be worse than that of the VP191 it replaced). However, around $900 seems
    > rather costly for a 1280 resolution monitor. It seems to me that given the
    > current state of the art, he may as well get an "adequate" cheaper monitor
    > with a view to getting something better in 3 - 4 yrs.
    >
    > Does anyone have experience with the following cheaper monitors that seem
    > likely candidates
    >
    > - Philips 190B6 (or similar): reasonable specs, best warranty, but some
    > reviews give it thumbs down, especially for video performance.

    Philips B series are nice screens, some models come with fully
    adjustable height and angle (unlike most), speakers, DVI input. Probably
    expensive though.

    We recently bought a quantity of Viewsonic 702 17" screens at a good
    price 1280x1024 resolution. Only a VGA input.

    RJ, Mar 28, 2006
  20. David

    -=rjh=- Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > David <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 03:01:27 GMT, MarkH wrote:
    >>
    >>> Why does 17" make more sense? A 19" is larger with the same res, so
    >>> everything won't be so tiny. You can run a 19" LCD at 1280x1024 and
    >>> actually read stuff without squinting or fetching a magnifying glass.

    >> Price. Run my 19" (/18") CRT at 1600 (& 15" laptop @ 1400), so 17" at
    >> 1280 should be a cinch. For my use, pixels count more than screen
    >> size.

    > 20" LCD screens are usually 1600 x 1200 which may suit you better, but I
    > thought that you said the screen wasn't for you anyway?
    >
    > The one I want is 1920 x 1200, but it is about $1500+GST - still 23"
    > widescreen would be pretty damn nice!
    >
    > Interestingly I have a customer that replaced his Sony 21" CRT with a
    > Philips 20.1" LCD which I thought looked great. But he didn't like how
    > tiny everything looked, so he runs it at 800 x 600.

    How unbelievably sad.

    Isn't your customer happy enough with using the larger scaled fonts and
    icons, or is it just that Freecell is too small to play? :)

    BTW Vista will make high resolution displays much more useful - AFAIK
    the output is independent of the device resolution, and individual
    applications can be displayed at specific scaling if desired. Which,
    most importantly, fixes the freecell problem.

    -=rjh=-, Apr 1, 2006