LCD Monitor vs HDTV - need expert suggestion

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Atreju, Jan 22, 2007.

  1. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    Hello all,

    I have a need for a very large format screen to run a monitoring
    station... I will have a computer run several windows all tiled on the
    screen, and I will need to be able to see some details clearly on the
    screen from the other side of the office - around 15 ft. Many of the
    applications will display text, which I can fiddle with as far as size
    is concerned, but overall I will need to be able to have a reasonably
    clear view of the contents of the windows.

    I have an opportunity to purchase a 27in LCD widescreen computer
    monitor, but there are also 32in flat-panel HDTVs that are even
    cheaper than the monitor... I have been told that although the HDTV
    units have inputs for computer displays, that they are not nearly as
    clear for computer display as an actual computer monitor. If this is
    the case, then the monitor will be a better purchase for me.

    I need to know what kind of experience/specific knowledge anyone as on
    the subject. I don't really care about having a television tuner in
    the thing - it wouldn't hurt, and to get a larger unit for cheaper is
    obviously an incentive, but not at the cost of image quality.

    Please advise,
    Thanks.
    Atreju, Jan 22, 2007

  2. Atreju

    ftran999 Guest

    "Atreju" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have a need for a very large format screen to run a monitoring
    > station... I will have a computer run several windows all tiled on the
    > screen, and I will need to be able to see some details clearly on the
    > screen from the other side of the office - around 15 ft. Many of the
    > applications will display text, which I can fiddle with as far as size
    > is concerned, but overall I will need to be able to have a reasonably
    > clear view of the contents of the windows.
    >
    > I have an opportunity to purchase a 27in LCD widescreen computer
    > monitor, but there are also 32in flat-panel HDTVs that are even
    > cheaper than the monitor... I have been told that although the HDTV
    > units have inputs for computer displays, that they are not nearly as
    > clear for computer display as an actual computer monitor. If this is
    > the case, then the monitor will be a better purchase for me.
    >
    > I need to know what kind of experience/specific knowledge anyone as on
    > the subject. I don't really care about having a television tuner in
    > the thing - it wouldn't hurt, and to get a larger unit for cheaper is
    > obviously an incentive, but not at the cost of image quality.
    >
    > Please advise,
    > Thanks.

    Does it have to be 15 feet away? At that distance unless you have the eyes
    of a hawk, 27" at that distance is way too small especially for reading
    text. In fact I would assume the 32" may also be too small.
    Sorry that I can't be of much help, but you're only options would seem to be
    move the 27" monitor closer to you or shop around for a good quality larger
    monitor, perhaps 42" or so.
    ftran999, Jan 22, 2007

  3. Atreju

    Al Pilarcik Guest

    Atreju wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have a need for a very large format screen to run a monitoring
    > station... I will have a computer run several windows all tiled on the
    > screen, and I will need to be able to see some details clearly on the
    > screen from the other side of the office - around 15 ft. Many of the
    > applications will display text, which I can fiddle with as far as size
    > is concerned, but overall I will need to be able to have a reasonably
    > clear view of the contents of the windows.

    How many windows will be open at any given time ? Seeing multiple text
    windows at 15' isn't going to be easy regardless of monitor size or
    resolution.

    http://www.samsung.com/Products/ProAV/CommercialLCD/LS32BEPNBXAA.asp

    > I have an opportunity to purchase a 27in LCD widescreen computer
    > monitor, but there are also 32in flat-panel HDTVs that are even
    > cheaper than the monitor... I have been told that although the HDTV
    > units have inputs for computer displays, that they are not nearly as
    > clear for computer display as an actual computer monitor. If this is
    > the case, then the monitor will be a better purchase for me.
    >
    > I need to know what kind of experience/specific knowledge anyone as on
    > the subject. I don't really care about having a television tuner in
    > the thing - it wouldn't hurt, and to get a larger unit for cheaper is
    > obviously an incentive, but not at the cost of image quality.

    Another possible solution might be to use multiple 19" LCD monitors mounted
    on a stand.

    Whichever you decide upon, I'd insist on a store demo before purchase.
    Al Pilarcik, Jan 22, 2007
  4. Atreju

    Atreju Guest

    On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:48:26 -0500, "ftran999" <>
    wrote:

    >Does it have to be 15 feet away? At that distance unless you have the eyes
    >of a hawk, 27" at that distance is way too small especially for reading
    >text. In fact I would assume the 32" may also be too small.
    >Sorry that I can't be of much help, but you're only options would seem to be
    >move the 27" monitor closer to you or shop around for a good quality larger
    >monitor, perhaps 42" or so.

    Most of the applications I will be running I will be making the text
    VERY large. It's also graphs and tables which will be color coded.
    What I really need to know is will I get as good a picture with a
    computer plugged into an HDTV LCD as I would with a genuine LCD
    computer monitor.

    Yes it has to be somewhere around 10-15ft away.
    Atreju, Jan 22, 2007
  5. Atreju

    Ron Martell Guest

    Atreju <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:48:26 -0500, "ftran999" <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>Does it have to be 15 feet away? At that distance unless you have the eyes
    >>of a hawk, 27" at that distance is way too small especially for reading
    >>text. In fact I would assume the 32" may also be too small.
    >>Sorry that I can't be of much help, but you're only options would seem to be
    >>move the 27" monitor closer to you or shop around for a good quality larger
    >>monitor, perhaps 42" or so.

    >Most of the applications I will be running I will be making the text
    >VERY large. It's also graphs and tables which will be color coded.
    >What I really need to know is will I get as good a picture with a
    >computer plugged into an HDTV LCD as I would with a genuine LCD
    >computer monitor.
    >
    >Yes it has to be somewhere around 10-15ft away.

    The image you get from the TV will be just as good as an LCD monitor
    running at the same resolution. However most large monitors are
    capable of higher resolutions than the LCD TVs so the potential is
    there for a monitor to give a better image, especially with fine
    detail.

    You also need to pay careful attention to the video drivers, as the
    TVs and monitors use different aspect ratios and in order to get the
    best image you need to have use the exact display setting that the
    monitor or TV is designed for.

    Monitors will be use either a 4:3 or 16:10 aspect ratio whereas TVs
    will normally use a 16:9 ratio.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."
    Ron Martell, Jan 22, 2007
  6. Atreju

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:15:42 -0500, Atreju wrote:

    > - it wouldn't hurt, and to get a larger unit for cheaper is obviously an
    > incentive, but not at the cost of image quality.

    At a distance of 15' the res isn't gpoing to be noticable. Get the largest
    monitor/tv you can get.

    Wes Newell, Jan 22, 2007
  7. Atreju

    Mac Cool Guest