    What is "miminum acceptable " ?
    I'm not a gamer - if that matters.
    Thanks for any pointers.
    - Bobb -, Dec 21, 2007

  2. That spec is only important if you are a gamer, or plan to use the monitor
    to view DVDs. Movies are adversely affected by slow response times, as are
    gamers. If your use is for programming language or working with your
    favorite spreadsheet, you will not care about the response time.

    I have an old LCD (19" Princeton that I bought from Costco more than 5 years
    ago) that I have no idea what the response time is, but today's monitors
    surely are faster, and I only notice flickers when I put in a DVD.

    Another spec you want to watch for is Contrast.

    Jeff Strickland, Dec 21, 2007

  3. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:
    > Just starting homework on buying a new monitor (HP w2207) and would like
    > opinion as to " what to use as target for "monitor response time ".
    > I see that the W2207 is 5 msec .... is that Excellent/Fair etc ?
    > This response time is the time for .... WHAT ?
    > If I move mouse quickly side to side , will there be a 5 msec delay -
    > is that it ?
    >
    > You can see how much it varies from one to another -
    > http://h71016.www7.hp.com/html/monitorcompare2.asp
    >
    > What is "miminum acceptable " ?
    > I'm not a gamer - if that matters.
    > Thanks for any pointers.

    There is a primer here, on the tricks of the trade.

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/lcd-parameters.html

    "For LCD monitors with a real response time of less than 10 milliseconds,
    the further reduction of the response time brings a smaller effect than
    expected because the persistence of human vision becomes a factor to be
    accounted for."

    How they test monitors:
    http://xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/lcd-testmethods_5.html

    Fast response can come with a price, if the monitor uses response time
    compensation (overdrive).

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/19inch-5_6.html

    Some monitors now use so many tricks, as to make them almost
    unusable. For such monitors, the ability to turn off some of
    this crap in the OSD, is a good idea. One monitor, for example,
    has a bunch of "profiles", and who wants to be screwing around
    with their monitor all day. My LCD monitor may be dumb, but I
    cannot remember the last time I used the OSD.

    There are plenty of other articles on Xbitlabs, and I find
    their on-site search engine is pretty good. (Click "Advanced Search"
    and change "Search Using" to "All Words" for best results.)
    Otherwise, for precise searching, try this thing:

    http://www.altavista.com/web/adv

    Paul
    Paul, Dec 21, 2007
  4. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:fkfmi6$ij4$...
    >- Bobb - wrote:
    >> Just starting homework on buying a new monitor (HP w2207) and would
    >> like opinion as to " what to use as target for "monitor response time
    >> ".
    >> I see that the W2207 is 5 msec .... is that Excellent/Fair etc ?
    >> This response time is the time for .... WHAT ?
    >> If I move mouse quickly side to side , will there be a 5 msec delay -
    >> is that it ?
    >>
    >> You can see how much it varies from one to another -
    >> http://h71016.www7.hp.com/html/monitorcompare2.asp
    >>
    >> What is "miminum acceptable " ?
    >> I'm not a gamer - if that matters.
    >> Thanks for any pointers.
    >>

    > There is a primer here, on the tricks of the trade.
    >
    > http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/lcd-parameters.html
    >
    > "For LCD monitors with a real response time of less than 10
    > milliseconds,
    > the further reduction of the response time brings a smaller effect
    > than
    > expected because the persistence of human vision becomes a factor to
    > be
    > accounted for."

    That was a great article. Thanks

    - Bobb -, Dec 21, 2007
  5. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    > That spec is only important if you are a gamer, or plan to use the
    > monitor to view DVDs. Movies are adversely affected by slow response
    > times, as are gamers. If your use is for programming language or working
    > with your favorite spreadsheet, you will not care about the response
    > time.
    >
    > I have an old LCD (19" Princeton that I bought from Costco more than 5
    > years ago) that I have no idea what the response time is, but today's
    > monitors surely are faster, and I only notice flickers when I put in a
    > DVD.
    >
    > Another spec you want to watch for is Contrast.

    I MIGHT want to view a movie but 98% will be computer.
    Thanks for the feedback.

    - Bobb -, Dec 21, 2007