    http:\\www.myplace.co.nz/home
    What we are up to in the UK
    http:\\www.myplace.co.nz
    John in Surrey, Nov 17, 2005

  2. John in Surrey

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi
    > Ive a second hand IBM T750 lcd monitor which has done us well in the
    > UK.
    > We turn all our devices off at the wall at night to save power I
    > suspect this has upset the monitor...
    > Today it took two hours to turn on, even though we are not turning off
    > the devices at the wall any more due to it becomming more and more
    > tempremental
    > it flashes amber off then amber green when the PC is turned on but jut
    > wont switch on (green) no matter what we try.
    > note, to confuse matters, I press power to shut down the pc last night
    > and the cursor icon appeared on a black screen as the machine shut
    > down!
    > hmm any fix other then a £149 19 inch lcd no-brand monitor?
    > thanks
    > john

    It means no signal is being detected, check the connecting cable is OK
    Rob J, Nov 17, 2005

  3. John in Surrey

    PC Guest

    "John in Surrey" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Ive a second hand IBM T750 lcd monitor which has done us well in the
    > UK.
    > We turn all our devices off at the wall at night to save power I
    > suspect this has upset the monitor...
    > Today it took two hours to turn on, even though we are not turning off
    > the devices at the wall any more due to it becomming more and more
    > tempremental
    > it flashes amber off then amber green when the PC is turned on but jut
    > wont switch on (green) no matter what we try.
    > note, to confuse matters, I press power to shut down the pc last night
    > and the cursor icon appeared on a black screen as the machine shut
    > down!
    > hmm any fix other then a £149 19 inch lcd no-brand monitor?
    > thanks
    > john
    >

    > john
    > Images of home (NZ)
    > http:\\www.myplace.co.nz/home
    > What we are up to in the UK
    > http:\\www.myplace.co.nz

    John

    I'd check if it's the LCD or the PC by substituting another screen.
    If another screen displays similar symptoms it's likely the PC.

    The amber light indicates power on but in sleep mode because there is no
    incoming VGA signal.
    The green light indicates power on awake mode because I am getting a VGA
    signal from the PC.
    Flashing from amber to green back to amber would suggest the LCD is
    receiving a signal from the PC when you first switch it on but the signal is
    then disappearing so the LCD goes back to sleep mode.

    Fan noises and other leds lighting up on the PC box is no guarantee that it
    is working, only that the power supply is working.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Nov 17, 2005
  4. John in Surrey wrote:
    > Hi
    > Ive a second hand IBM T750 lcd monitor which has done us well in the
    > UK.
    > We turn all our devices off at the wall at night to save power I
    > suspect this has upset the monitor...
    > Today it took two hours to turn on, even though we are not turning off
    > the devices at the wall any more due to it becomming more and more
    > tempremental
    > it flashes amber off then amber green when the PC is turned on but jut
    > wont switch on (green) no matter what we try.
    > note, to confuse matters, I press power to shut down the pc last night
    > and the cursor icon appeared on a black screen as the machine shut
    > down!
    > hmm any fix other then a £149 19 inch lcd no-brand monitor?
    > thanks
    > john
    >

    > john
    > Images of home (NZ)
    > http:\\www.myplace.co.nz/home
    > What we are up to in the UK
    > http:\\www.myplace.co.nz

    Is there any chance your pc is putting out a video mode your monitor can't deal
    with ?

    Press F8 at the right moment in the boot sequence (Starting Windows ...) may
    allow you to start the computer in safe mode which should be at a resolution
    the monitor can deal with.

    I have a feeling that I have seen a compaq lcd monitor which was fussy about
    how it was fed. I can't remember whether it wanted the computer all powered up
    and booted before the monitor was turned on or some other arcane collection of
    circumstance ...
    Mark Robinson, Nov 17, 2005
  5. John in Surrey

    Rob J Guest

    In article <2tod.net>,
    2tod.net says...
    > John in Surrey wrote:
    > > Hi
    > > Ive a second hand IBM T750 lcd monitor which has done us well in the
    > > UK.
    > > We turn all our devices off at the wall at night to save power I
    > > suspect this has upset the monitor...
    > > Today it took two hours to turn on, even though we are not turning off
    > > the devices at the wall any more due to it becomming more and more
    > > tempremental
    > > it flashes amber off then amber green when the PC is turned on but jut
    > > wont switch on (green) no matter what we try.
    > > note, to confuse matters, I press power to shut down the pc last night
    > > and the cursor icon appeared on a black screen as the machine shut
    > > down!
    > > hmm any fix other then a £149 19 inch lcd no-brand monitor?
    > > thanks
    > > john
    > >

    > > john
    > > Images of home (NZ)
    > > http:\\www.myplace.co.nz/home
    > > What we are up to in the UK
    > > http:\\www.myplace.co.nz

    > Is there any chance your pc is putting out a video mode your monitor can't deal
    > with ?
    >
    > Press F8 at the right moment in the boot sequence (Starting Windows ...) may
    > allow you to start the computer in safe mode which should be at a resolution
    > the monitor can deal with.
    >
    > I have a feeling that I have seen a compaq lcd monitor which was fussy about
    > how it was fed. I can't remember whether it wanted the computer all powered up
    > and booted before the monitor was turned on or some other arcane collection of
    > circumstance ...

    Yes have seen this when a Laptop tries to feed 1280 to a projector that
    had max input of 1024
    Rob J, Nov 18, 2005
  6. thanks guys, it wakes up after nearly half an hour today...
    will continue to tinker...
    massive frost here today, all the trees are dropping their last
    leaves, its raining walnut leaves outside!

    john
    Images of home (NZ)
    http:\\www.myplace.co.nz/home
    What we are up to in the UK
    http:\\www.myplace.co.nz
    John in Surrey, Nov 18, 2005
  7. John in Surrey

    EMB Guest

    John in Surrey wrote:
    > thanks guys, it wakes up after nearly half an hour today...
    > will continue to tinker...
    > massive frost here today,

    Leave the poor thing alone - it's obviously hibernating for winter. :)

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Nov 18, 2005