    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk
    Peter Chant, Sep 24, 2006

  2. Peter Chant

    SJ Guest

    "Peter Chant" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    I'm looking at getting an LCD monitor. While the PC I'm using it on will
    not be used much for photo manipulation I'm more interested in photos than
    gaming which seems to be what the majority of online reviews seem to go on
    about.

    Anyone have any pointers on 19" monitors?

    Note, I tried looking for a comp.periperals group but nothing sprang at me
    from the list.

    Pete

    Peter, I had the same problem with the same group last month, I burned my
    17" lcd and figured why get another when the 19" are actually less than I
    paid for the 17", I got a Viewsonic va902b from Office depot. It was $229
    less $40 rebate. 8ms speed, 1:550 res. I really didn't need it for gaming
    either and it's more than enough for anything I'll ever do.
    SJ, Sep 24, 2006

  3. Peter Chant

    Bill Guest

    > I'm looking at getting an LCD monitor. While the PC I'm using it on
    > will
    > not be used much for photo manipulation I'm more interested in
    > photos than
    > gaming which seems to be what the majority of online reviews seem to
    > go on
    > about.

    Gaming requires fast response times, but once you get down to 8ms or
    less, it's generally fast enough to be comfortable to view.

    > Anyone have any pointers on 19" monitors?

    For photo editing, make sure it has manual adjustments for colour
    temperature so you can fine tune it if necessary. You'll also want a
    model that has good uniformity where the light level is consistent
    across the whole panel.

    A regular 19" LCD runs at a native resolution of 1280x1024 at 60Hz.
    Make sure your video card can do that - anything made in the last few
    years should be fine. Also you need to consider the connection format.
    A digital DVI-D connection is preferred from the video to the monitor
    for best image quality. If your video card has only analog output
    (D-sub connector), make sure the monitor supports it.

    Perhaps visit a store and look at some models to get a feel for what
    you want, then search Google for reviews of those models and find one
    that has good colour and uniformity, has the connection format you
    need, and fits your price range.
    Bill, Sep 25, 2006
  4. Peter Chant

    Bob H Guest

    > I'm looking at getting an LCD monitor. While the PC I'm using it on will
    > not be used much for photo manipulation I'm more interested in photos than
    > gaming which seems to be what the majority of online reviews seem to go on
    > about.
    >
    > Anyone have any pointers on 19" monitors?
    >
    > Note, I tried looking for a comp.periperals group but nothing sprang at me
    > from the list.
    >
    > Pete
    >

    > --
    > http://www.petezilla.co.uk

    Splurge on a

    Gateway FPD2185W .

    I thank myself every time I use it.
    Bob H, Sep 25, 2006
  5. Peter Chant

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Peter Chant wrote:
    > I'm looking at getting an LCD monitor. While the PC I'm using it on will
    > not be used much for photo manipulation I'm more interested in photos than
    > gaming which seems to be what the majority of online reviews seem to go on
    > about.
    >
    > Anyone have any pointers on 19" monitors?
    >
    > Note, I tried looking for a comp.periperals group but nothing sprang at me
    > from the list.
    >
    > Pete

    Just a couple of points, go for one with digital input (you may need a
    new graphics board to go with it), and since you don't care about
    gaming, don't pay more for 4ms response over 8ms response. Look for
    good color accuracy and native resolution.
    Ron Hunter, Sep 25, 2006
  6. Peter Chant

    Guest

    On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:22:16 +0100, Peter Chant <> wrote:

    > I'm looking at getting an LCD monitor. While the PC I'm using it on will
    > not be used much for photo manipulation I'm more interested in photos than
    > gaming which seems to be what the majority of online reviews seem to go on
    > about.
    >
    > Anyone have any pointers on 19" monitors?

    I am very happy with my Samsung 940B. Colours are quite good and it is fine for gaming.
    , Sep 25, 2006
  7. Peter Chant

    Jimmy Guest

    There are some good suggestions here already, I'll touch on a couple of
    other ideas.

    First, I have the ViewSonic VP2030b and am pleased with it. Given the
    quality/price of the product, it fit my pocketbook and photo editing
    requirements.

    Regardless of which model you finally go with, for calibration purposes you
    might want take the recommendations offered by X-Rite in their FAQ's: set
    the contrast to maximum, then set the brightness visually to suit the light
    level in your room. Choose the "Profile Only" option, leave color temp. at
    6500K and gamma at 2.2, and create a color profile. Adobe Gamma doesn't
    work on LCD's. The color Black seems to be the most difficult color to
    accurately produce on a LCD. If you can locate a LCD that has a backlight
    brightness adjustment, I would add those models as candidates.
    Jimmy, Sep 25, 2006
  8. Peter Chant

    Peter Chant Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Just a couple of points, go for one with digital input (you may need a
    > new graphics board to go with it), and since you don't care about
    > gaming, don't pay more for 4ms response over 8ms response. Look for
    > good color accuracy and native resolution.

    Well thats the thing, no one really mentions colour accuracy. Not that I
    have calibrated my CRT monitor, but thats not the point. The point is it
    would be nice to know which ones were better in that respect.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk
    Peter Chant, Sep 25, 2006
  9. Peter Chant

    Peter Chant Guest

    Jimmy wrote:

    > There are some good suggestions here already, I'll touch on a couple of
    > other ideas.
    >
    > First, I have the ViewSonic VP2030b and am pleased with it. Given the
    > quality/price of the product, it fit my pocketbook and photo editing
    > requirements.

    Hmm, see a favorable write up of the VP930 as an allrounder. Your
    recommendation is looking a bit dear for my tastes at the moment, 19" seems
    to be the best bang for the buck unless you want bargain basement.

    Might give viewsonic a try. Rather like my brothers Smasung 930BF bit
    it is more gaming orientated.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk