    I'll bet this has been discussed, but can people give me a quick take on
    their use of LCDs to do photo editing?

    I'm looking at the mega Samsung 213t. It's inviting.

    Chucky, Dec 19, 2003

  2. "Chucky" <> wrote in message
    news:pHHEb.30354$BQ5.477@fed1read03...
    > I'll bet this has been discussed, but can people give me a quick take on
    > their use of LCDs to do photo editing?
    >
    > I'm looking at the mega Samsung 213t. It's inviting.

    It has been; you can read the discussions at Google Groups.

    Very briefly, most LCD monitors do not show colors well enough for
    good-quality photo editing.

    Marvin Margoshes, Dec 19, 2003

  3. Chucky

    Michael Guest

    LCD's don't display color accuracy if you ask me. I mean if you're that
    good, then the visual colors shouldn't matter since it's all from a palate.
    At least I think I know what I'm talking about. :)

    Michael, Dec 19, 2003
  4. Chucky

    Drifter Guest

    >"Chucky" <> wrote in message
    >> I'll bet this has been discussed, but can people give me a quick take on
    >> their use of LCDs to do photo editing?
    >>
    >> I'm looking at the mega Samsung 213t. It's inviting.
    >>

    >It has been; you can read the discussions at Google Groups.
    >
    >Very briefly, most LCD monitors do not show colors well enough for
    >good-quality photo editing.

    And again I'd have to disagree with that blanket statement. My LCD
    monitors match up with my printer beautifully and make it a breeze to
    output matching images.

    LCD screens, CRT Screens, heck cameras themselves, need to be
    evaluated on a model by model basis. Some are terrible, some just
    good, a few are great.

    Drifter

    Drifter, Dec 19, 2003
  5. Chucky

    RogM Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 18:19:40 -0500, Drifter <>
    wrote:

    >>"Chucky" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'll bet this has been discussed, but can people give me a quick take on
    >>> their use of LCDs to do photo editing?
    >>>
    >>> I'm looking at the mega Samsung 213t. It's inviting.
    >>>

    >>It has been; you can read the discussions at Google Groups.
    >>
    >>Very briefly, most LCD monitors do not show colors well enough for
    >>good-quality photo editing.

    >And again I'd have to disagree with that blanket statement. My LCD
    >monitors match up with my printer beautifully and make it a breeze to
    >output matching images.
    >
    >LCD screens, CRT Screens, heck cameras themselves, need to be
    >evaluated on a model by model basis. Some are terrible, some just
    >good, a few are great.
    >
    >Drifter

    That's also been my experience (both with the 21" Samsung mentioned
    and the 20" Viewsonic VX2000). Color accuracy can't be all that bad,
    at least to judge from the Pantone ColorVision calibration charts I've
    run that appear every bit as "on" as any CRT I've used. Since these
    monitors can be calibrated to produce an accurate color profile I
    can't see what the this problem might be. It certainly isn't fuzzy
    corners, screen jitter, purity problems, or color beam alignment--all
    problems associated with CRTs. Now that they appear to have addressed
    the viewing angle issue, I'm optimistic that LCDs will fully dominate
    graphics applications in a short time. Yes, there are a few bummers
    out there, but even some inexpensive LCDs I've seen recently are
    impressive.

    RogM, Dec 20, 2003
  6. Chucky

    Rick Guest

    "RogM" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 18:19:40 -0500, Drifter <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >>"Chucky" <> wrote in message

    > >>It has been; you can read the discussions at Google Groups.
    > >>
    > >>Very briefly, most LCD monitors do not show colors well enough for
    > >>good-quality photo editing.

    > >And again I'd have to disagree with that blanket statement. My LCD
    > >monitors match up with my printer beautifully and make it a breeze to
    > >output matching images.
    > >
    > >LCD screens, CRT Screens, heck cameras themselves, need to be
    > >evaluated on a model by model basis. Some are terrible, some just
    > >good, a few are great.
    > >
    > >Drifter

    > That's also been my experience (both with the 21" Samsung mentioned
    > and the 20" Viewsonic VX2000). Color accuracy can't be all that bad,
    > at least to judge from the Pantone ColorVision calibration charts I've
    > run that appear every bit as "on" as any CRT I've used.

    If you're claiming you can see the same range of near-blacks
    on either your Samsung or Viewsonic, as compared to a
    decent CRT, that's a flat-out lie. Color accuracy is good on
    some LCDs, but within a _much_ narrower gamut.

    Rick

    Rick, Dec 20, 2003
  7. "Drifter" <> wrote in message

    > >"Chucky" <> wrote in message
    > >> I'll bet this has been discussed, but can people give me a quick take

    on
    > >> their use of LCDs to do photo editing?
    > >>
    > >> I'm looking at the mega Samsung 213t. It's inviting.
    > >>

    > >It has been; you can read the discussions at Google Groups.
    > >
    > >Very briefly, most LCD monitors do not show colors well enough for
    > >good-quality photo editing.

    > And again I'd have to disagree with that blanket statement. My LCD
    > monitors match up with my printer beautifully and make it a breeze to
    > output matching images.

    You aparently didn't see that I said "most LCD monitors", not "all". I'm
    glad you are happy with the one you have.

    Marvin Margoshes, Dec 20, 2003
  8. Chucky

    Chucky Guest

    The Samsung 213t I played with in the store seemed to have few ways to
    adjust color - the RGB were adjustable individually. Is this adequate?

    Also, Rog, there were only three choices of gamma setting (labeled "1" "2"
    and "3"). What do these correspond to?

    Thanks for the info!

    Chucky, Dec 20, 2003
  9. Chucky

    Bob Adkins Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:45:41 -0700, "Chucky" <>
    wrote:

    >I'll bet this has been discussed, but can people give me a quick take on
    >their use of LCDs to do photo editing?
    >
    >I'm looking at the mega Samsung 213t. It's inviting.

    Get it! <turning green with envy>

    Even cheapie-junky TFT monitor color can be adjusted. That Samsung probably
    won't need touching.

    In fact, TFT's as a class render reds better than CRT monitors ever did.

    New technology is only slowly accepted by the old fuddy-duddy's here. Only 2
    or 3 years ago, even digital cameras weren't accepted by the snooty ones.
    They somehow equate "different" with "bad". Pay no attention to them.

    Bob

    Bob Adkins, Dec 20, 2003
  10. Chucky

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that "Chucky" <> stated that:

    >I'll bet this has been discussed, but can people give me a quick take on
    >their use of LCDs to do photo editing?

    I have a dual screen setup, with a Samsung LCD & an IBM CRT, & I've
    found that the LCD just isn't good enough for photoediting. The tonal
    range on the LCD isn't as good as the CRT (both are calibrated, BTW),
    but the real deal-killer is that you get colour shifts on the LCD if you
    you move your head even a little from looking at the screen straight-on.
    For text & graphics, the LCD is vastly superior, but for photo-editing
    (or even viewing), it's not acceptable, IMO.

    Lionel, Dec 21, 2003