    be replaced, or would I be better off looking into a new camera?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    -Andrew
    Andrew Christopher, Jun 7, 2004

  2. Andrew Christopher

    Tim Anderson Guest

    > Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I did some research on
    > the net, but couldn't really find anything. Is there a bulb that
    > lights up the LCD that could have burned out? Is it something that can
    > be replaced,

    Theres a thin tube lamp backlighting the screen. Theres also an invertor
    that changes the low battery voltage to a high low current voltage.

    Both parts are cheap (if you can find them) BUT would be difficult to fit at
    home. I've done the transplant between a Toshiba laptop and a Dell laptop
    when the invertor died in the dell.

    Other than that I think it's back to Fuji, laptop repairs are around
    £100-150 for this and I can predit that Fuji would want a lot more than
    that.

    > or would I be better off looking into a new camera?

    Most likely, unless you bought an extended warrenty.

    > Thanks in advance for any help.
    >
    > -Andrew

    No probs, I just hope I haven't ruined your day.

    Tim
    Tim Anderson, Jun 7, 2004

  3. "Tim Anderson" <> wrote in message news:<40c4cf17$0$4578$>...
    > > Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I did some research on
    > > the net, but couldn't really find anything. Is there a bulb that
    > > lights up the LCD that could have burned out? Is it something that can
    > > be replaced,

    > Theres a thin tube lamp backlighting the screen. Theres also an invertor
    > that changes the low battery voltage to a high low current voltage.
    >
    > Both parts are cheap (if you can find them) BUT would be difficult to fit at
    > home. I've done the transplant between a Toshiba laptop and a Dell laptop
    > when the invertor died in the dell.
    >
    > Other than that I think it's back to Fuji, laptop repairs are around
    > £100-150 for this and I can predit that Fuji would want a lot more than
    > that.
    >

    > > or would I be better off looking into a new camera?

    > Most likely, unless you bought an extended warrenty.
    >

    > > Thanks in advance for any help.
    > >
    > > -Andrew

    > No probs, I just hope I haven't ruined your day.
    >

    > Tim

    Are you sure it's CFL and not a string of white LEDs that is used for
    LCD backlight? In the latter case there would be no high voltage
    inverter. In any case, the repair would require some knowledge of
    electronics.
    Eugene
    Eugene Kaplounovski, Jun 8, 2004
  4. Andrew Christopher

    Tim Anderson Guest

    > Are you sure it's CFL and not a string of white LEDs that is used for
    > LCD backlight? In the latter case there would be no high voltage
    > inverter. In any case, the repair would require some knowledge of
    > electronics.

    Now why didn't I think of that? The only thing that would be likely to
    heppen then would be either a cable break between the screen and the main
    camera board affecting only the power to the LEDs or all LEDs burned out at
    the same time, the later I would be very suprised at due to the long life of
    LEDs.

    If the LEDs were cabled in series then only the first one in the chain would
    need to blow, taking the rest with it BUT this is highly unlikely as they
    are more likely to be in parrallel so one dieing would cause a dark section.

    I would still say that if it has a TFT screen (highly likely) then it will
    be a cathode tube.

    Anyway, just had the back off the swivel screen on my G2 and that IS a tube
    so I would suggest yours was but I cannot be sure.

    Tim
    Tim Anderson, Jun 8, 2004