    the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of the
    time.

    Thanks, Kit

    Kitty, Jan 6, 2005

  2. Kitty

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Kitty" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's on
    > the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of the
    > time.
    >
    > Thanks, Kit

    Turn off the sun or work at night.

    Rudy Benner, Jan 6, 2005

  3. Kitty

    Eric Gill Guest

    "Kitty" <> wrote in news::

    > Hi,
    >
    > Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's on
    > the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of the
    > time.

    Years ago.

    http://www.hoodmanusa.com/

    Eric Gill, Jan 6, 2005
  4. Kitty

    Drifter Guest

    Drifter, Jan 6, 2005
  5. Kitty

    Ken Oaf Guest

    On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:01:20 -0600, "Kitty" <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's on
    > the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of the
    > time.

    Simple.

    Use the viewfinder.

    Ken Oaf, Jan 6, 2005
  6. Kitty

    Jerry G. Guest

    You would have to find a way to innovate some type of shade for it. Or, use
    the optical viewfinder, if the camera has one.

    --

    Yea... Turn off the sun! Don't forget to switch it back on again when you
    go indoors.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Jan 6, 2005
  7. Kitty wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's
    > on the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of
    > the time.
    >
    > Thanks, Kit

    Avoid buying a camera without a viewfinder - I now tend to use the EVF
    (electronic view-finder) much of the time. Cameras with more recent LCDs
    may not suffer as badly as older models.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 6, 2005
  8. Kitty

    Skip M Guest

    Yeah, the rest of us might want to use it! <G>

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Jan 6, 2005
  9. Kitty

    Owamanga Guest

    On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:01:20 -0600, "Kitty" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's on
    >the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of the
    >time.
    >
    >Thanks, Kit

    Move to England.

    --
    Owamanga!

    Owamanga, Jan 6, 2005
  10. Kitty

    Robert Strom Guest

    On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:01:20 -0600, "Kitty" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's on
    >the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of the
    >time.
    >
    >Thanks, Kit

    I have gone back to the beginings of photography.
    I carry a square yard of black fabric with me and drape it over my
    head and camera when I want to review the pics in sunlight. Then I
    use a slide viewing loupe to magnify the image.

    Some things never go out of style!

    Robert Strom

    Robert Strom, Jan 6, 2005
  11. Kitty

    ZONED! Guest

    On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:26:38 GMT, Owamanga <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:01:20 -0600, "Kitty" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's on
    >>the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of the
    >>time.
    >>
    >>Thanks, Kit

    >Move to England.
    >
    >--
    >Owamanga!

    Dang! I hate when an idea of mine is posted before I get a chance.
    LOL!
    However it seems to not affect many posters who repost same info as if
    they only read the OP and no replies before posting ;o)
    All aside if you are in USA it will be a lot cheaper to move to the
    Seattle area.

    ZONED!, Jan 6, 2005
  12. Kitty

    Ron Wong Guest

    In article <>, "Kitty" <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's on
    > the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of the
    > time.

    There were a number of individuals who make a product to address this
    problem. It's nothing more than a plastic viewing hood with a low-power
    eyepiece that can either carried around one's neck via the usual
    neckstrap, temporarily secured to the LCD screen via velcro, or more
    permanently attached (temporarily) using a mounting bracket that is
    secured to the camera via the tripod socket on the bottom of the camera.

    Use Google and "lcd viewer camera" (quotes and all) as a search item and
    see what comes up.

    I've used mine only on occasion - I hate carrying around more gadgets than
    I have to - and it has proved to be very useful when called upon.

    Happy hunting.

    ron

    Ron Wong, Jan 6, 2005
  13. Kitty

    Frank ess Guest

    Robert Strom wrote:
    > On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:01:20 -0600, "Kitty" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see
    >> what's on the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is
    >> most of the time.
    >>
    >> Thanks, Kit

    > I have gone back to the beginings of photography.
    > I carry a square yard of black fabric with me and drape it over my
    > head and camera when I want to review the pics in sunlight. Then I
    > use a slide viewing loupe to magnify the image.
    >
    > Some things never go out of style!

    Ain't it the truth. The fabric idea has been percolating over here for a
    while.

    My previous solution was: get a slide viewer ($3.95 or less), remove the
    translucent screen is intended to back a slide and distribute light
    evenly. The now-open end is a fair fit for most LCD monitors. I used a
    Sharpie® black marker to darken the sides. Works good, and if you don't
    like it, you're out not-very-much money. I never got around to adding a
    couple Velcro® dots to hold it in place.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Jan 6, 2005
  14. Kitty

    Frank ess Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Kitty wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's
    >> on the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of
    >> the time.
    >>
    >> Thanks, Kit

    > Avoid buying a camera without a viewfinder - I now tend to use the EVF
    > (electronic view-finder) much of the time. Cameras with more recent
    > LCDs may not suffer as badly as older models.

    I don't know how they did it, but the LCD monitor on the CP8700 is
    leagues better than the CP5700's.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Jan 6, 2005
  15. Kitty

    Robert Strom Guest

    I use a modified slide viewer too, but find the magnification is a
    little too powerful which makes the LCD pixels distracting. I aminly
    use it when I want the client to see the image so they don't have to
    fool around witha getting the loupe distance correct.

    I found a nice low power loupe (5x?) that is about 2" in diamter and
    has glass lenses. I carry it in a small pouch on my belt so it is
    always handy.

    robert Strom

    Robert Strom, Jan 8, 2005
  16. Kitty

    stewy Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's on
    > the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of the
    > time.

    Some cameras have electronic viewfinders which simply repeat the LCD
    display. Others are simpy optical viewfinders. The latter are useless for
    close-ups. DSLRs use a mirror and pentaprism for the viewfinder like the
    dinosaur SLRs. Choose the camera according to the viewfinder you prefer. The
    only option in your present situation would be to increase the LCD
    brightness to maximum or try to make 'hood' for the screen - rather like a
    square cone - about 100-150mm long.

    stewy, Jan 21, 2005
  17. Kitty

    Tom Scales Guest

    "stewy" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Has anyone come up with a workaround for not being able to see what's on
    >> the LCD screen when working in the sunshine ... which is most of the
    >> time.
    >>

    > Some cameras have electronic viewfinders which simply repeat the LCD
    > display. Others are simpy optical viewfinders. The latter are useless for
    > close-ups. DSLRs use a mirror and pentaprism for the viewfinder like the
    > dinosaur SLRs. Choose the camera according to the viewfinder you prefer.
    > The
    > only option in your present situation would be to increase the LCD
    > brightness to maximum or try to make 'hood' for the screen - rather like a
    > square cone - about 100-150mm long.

    You're kidding, right? An EVF is better than the optical viewfinder on a
    Dslr and you can't focus on a dslr with an optical viewpoint.

    Best laugh I've had all day!

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jan 21, 2005
  18. Kitty