    My system is already uptodate so I cant be sure

    TIA
    (ps I take back all those nasty things I said about debian people<G>)

    Shane, May 23, 2005

  2. Shane

    thing Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Ok as the title goes,
    > Im being lazy, I have looked over the man page for apt-get (Debian woody)
    > and am looking for a way to run apt-get upgrade via cron
    > The problem being apt-get upgrade requires input (its asking if you want
    > to download and install shit etc etc etc)
    > is this behaviour killed off with apt-get -m upgrade?
    > My system is already uptodate so I cant be sure
    >
    > TIA
    > (ps I take back all those nasty things I said about debian people<G>)

    you are being lazy.......

    ;]

    crontab -e

    00 2 * * * /usr/bin/apt-get -q update
    00 4 * * * /usr/bin/apt-get -s dist-upgrade | /bin/grep Inst

    At 2 am all my machines update, I allow 2 hours at 4am I ask each one to
    email on what is in need of patching.

    You could then add

    20 4 * * * /usr/bin/apt-get -y dist-upgrade

    To automatically patch if you want at 420am (or something).

    I often run this line to update and patch as a one liner,

    usr/bin/apt-get update ; /usr/bin/apt-get -y dist-upgrade

    regards

    thing

    thing, May 23, 2005

  3. Shane

    Shane Guest

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 14:07:14 +1200, thing wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> Ok as the title goes,
    >> Im being lazy, I have looked over the man page for apt-get (Debian woody)
    >> and am looking for a way to run apt-get upgrade via cron
    >> The problem being apt-get upgrade requires input (its asking if you want
    >> to download and install shit etc etc etc)
    >> is this behaviour killed off with apt-get -m upgrade?
    >> My system is already uptodate so I cant be sure
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> (ps I take back all those nasty things I said about debian people<G>)
    >>

    > you are being lazy.......
    >
    > ;]
    >
    > crontab -e
    >
    > 00 2 * * * /usr/bin/apt-get -q update
    > 00 4 * * * /usr/bin/apt-get -s dist-upgrade | /bin/grep Inst
    >
    > At 2 am all my machines update, I allow 2 hours at 4am I ask each one to
    > email on what is in need of patching.
    >
    > You could then add
    >
    > 20 4 * * * /usr/bin/apt-get -y dist-upgrade
    >
    > To automatically patch if you want at 420am (or something).
    >
    > I often run this line to update and patch as a one liner,
    >
    > usr/bin/apt-get update ; /usr/bin/apt-get -y dist-upgrade
    >
    > regards
    >
    > thing

    ohhh its the -y option
    ta muchly

    Shane, May 23, 2005
  4. Shane

    Gordon Smith Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Ok as the title goes,
    > Im being lazy, I have looked over the man page for apt-get (Debian woody)
    > and am looking for a way to run apt-get upgrade via cron
    > The problem being apt-get upgrade requires input (its asking if you want
    > to download and install shit etc etc etc)
    > is this behaviour killed off with apt-get -m upgrade?
    > My system is already uptodate so I cant be sure
    >
    > TIA
    > (ps I take back all those nasty things I said about debian people<G>)

    man apt-get
    it is in there -> -y option

    Gordon Smith, May 23, 2005
  5. Shane

    Shane Guest

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 14:46:33 +1200, Gordon Smith wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> Ok as the title goes,
    >> Im being lazy, I have looked over the man page for apt-get (Debian woody)
    >> and am looking for a way to run apt-get upgrade via cron
    >> The problem being apt-get upgrade requires input (its asking if you want
    >> to download and install shit etc etc etc)
    >> is this behaviour killed off with apt-get -m upgrade?
    >> My system is already uptodate so I cant be sure
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> (ps I take back all those nasty things I said about debian people<G>)
    >>

    > man apt-get
    > it is in there -> -y option

    heh.. straight after I get told, the damn thing is glaring at me in the
    man page
    /me is not very impressed with myself

    (Thanking you)

    Shane, May 23, 2005