    Any advice is much appreciated.

    Thanks - RWH

    , May 30, 2005

  2. Paul Furman Guest

    wrote:

    > As a relative newcomer to photoshop I'd appreciate some advice on the
    > best way to use layers etc to compose the following image.
    > I'd like to select and isolate a central figure in the image and whilst
    > keeping that figure in colour,desaturate the background into
    > black/white while at the same time bluring it to make the central image
    > stand out more.
    > Once I have selected the central image using the lasso tool is it best
    > to next create a layer before moving onto the next stage ?
    > It will probably take me a while to select my central figure and my
    > concern is that once I have done this I would like to save the
    > selection so I can always revert to this stage should I make a mistake
    > later on.
    > Any advice is much appreciated.

    If it's simple, duplicate the layer, adjust and erase out to reveal the
    subject. If it's fussy, look into layer masks.
    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net/1

    Paul Furman, May 30, 2005

  3. birdman Guest

    After you create a duplicate layer of the image you can decide if it would
    be easier to paint in the color or to paint out the color in your central
    subject: the nature of the edges of the object will dictate which method is
    easier. If the shape is complex or has indistinct feathery edges one way or
    the other may be easier to accomplish.
    Usually it is not necessary to resort to any elaborate masking to select out
    the subject you want to keep in color, but that is a matter of choice.
    It is a convenient thing to remember that with adjustment layers you
    generally can choose to paint in or paint out the adjustment to any
    particular region of the image by setting the mask properties to reveal all
    or to hide all. This is a very good way for controlling regional contrast,
    color, etc. within the image. By painting on the mask with black or white
    you can reverse the change you just made non-destructively.

    birdman, May 30, 2005
  4. Guest

    Hi - Thanks for replying to my post concerning the image I am trying to
    create.
    Basically what I have is a picture taken at a football match, and I'd
    like to isolate the central figure by blurring and desaturating the
    background.
    I have had problems trying to select the player using the lasso
    function but wonder if your suggestion is the easier option.
    I'd appreciate if you could just clarify a little more for me as I am
    relatively new at using photoshop.
    Is the best option to -
    1/ Open the original image desaturate and apply blur.
    2/ Create a duplicate layer
    3/ Overlay the original colour picture
    4/ Erase the colour background by using the background eraser tool

    I think I can see basis of the idea but to be honest i'm a little
    unsure as to the type of layer / tools etc to use in order to complete
    the image as I have yet to use layers etc in making a composition of
    this nature.
    I'm sure it is something that will drop into place once I get used to
    it, but at this stage I am still trying to grasp some of the basic
    principles of photoshop and any help is much appreciated.

    Rob.

  5. Stacey Guest

    wrote:

    > As a relative newcomer to photoshop I'd appreciate some advice on the
    > best way to use layers etc to compose the following image.
    > I'd like to select and isolate a central figure in the image and whilst
    > keeping that figure in colour,desaturate the background into
    > black/white while at the same time bluring it to make the central image
    > stand out more.
    > Once I have selected the central image using the lasso tool is it best
    > to next create a layer before moving onto the next stage ?
    > It will probably take me a while to select my central figure and my
    > concern is that once I have done this I would like to save the
    > selection so I can always revert to this stage should I make a mistake
    > later on.

    Create a duplicate layer before you do ANYTHING. Then do you selection on
    this layer, erase outside the layer so the base shows through, then do your
    desaturation/blur to the base layer and flatten. I'd use a blury eraser
    tool so you don't have such a hard edge between the subject and the PS'd
    background.

    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, May 30, 2005
  6. Paul Mitchum Guest

    <> wrote:

    > As a relative newcomer to photoshop I'd appreciate some advice on the
    > best way to use layers etc to compose the following image.
    > I'd like to select and isolate a central figure in the image and whilst
    > keeping that figure in colour,desaturate the background into
    > black/white while at the same time bluring it to make the central image
    > stand out more.

    Here's how to desaturate the background:

    1) Make a backup of your original file. Work on a copy. Safety first!
    :)

    2) Create an effects layer for 'Hue/Saturation.' Adjust the saturation
    slider until the whole image is black and white.

    3) Make sure the effects layer mask is selected (select that layer, and
    it should work).

    4) Select the paintbrush and a black color. Paint over the central
    figure. You will be painting the color back into this area.

    You can blur the image layer however you want.

    Paul Mitchum, May 31, 2005
  7. Tony Guest

    Always save any selection to a separate layer - it is the only way. If you
    do not, as soon as you remove the mask it is lost (of course you can use the
    history tool but not for long) and the mask is not saved with the file. If
    you close it, the mask is gone forever.
    You could save the mask as a channel, but it is a PITA and has been
    superseeded by layers for about 10 years now.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, May 31, 2005
  8. Don Stauffer Guest

    wrote:
    > As a relative newcomer to photoshop I'd appreciate some advice on the
    > best way to use layers etc to compose the following image.
    > I'd like to select and isolate a central figure in the image and whilst
    > keeping that figure in colour,desaturate the background into
    > black/white while at the same time bluring it to make the central image
    > stand out more.
    > Once I have selected the central image using the lasso tool is it best
    > to next create a layer before moving onto the next stage ?
    > It will probably take me a while to select my central figure and my
    > concern is that once I have done this I would like to save the
    > selection so I can always revert to this stage should I make a mistake
    > later on.
    > Any advice is much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks - RWH

    While it is possible to do this without using layers, I do prefer to do
    something like this in layers, for reasons you mention.

    Don Stauffer, May 31, 2005