    these layers?

    If somebody has spent years installing networks, is it possible he
    isn't familiar with these layer models?
    Richard Fangnail, May 9, 2006

  2. Richard Fangnail

    x1134x Guest

    Richard Fangnail wrote:
    > I've read some books about computer networking and they always talk
    > about the seven layers of networking. Is it important to understand
    > these layers?

    Not really, unlesss you're going to be tested on it, or you're a
    programmer working with at team.

    > If somebody has spent years installing networks, is it possible he
    > isn't familiar with these layer models?

    Absolutely, most applications do not use all 7 layers anyway, its just
    a "idealistic framework" for networking, it's not an absolute.
    Technically the only layer necessary is the physical layer.
    x1134x, May 9, 2006

  3. Richard Fangnail

    why? Guest

    On 9 May 2006 09:24:02 -0700, Richard Fangnail wrote:

    >I've read some books about computer networking and they always talk
    >about the seven layers of networking. Is it important to understand
    >these layers?

    Not really -
    Maybe be aware of,
    Use in the exam(s).

    >If somebody has spent years installing networks, is it possible he
    >isn't familiar with these layer models?

    Yes, never used in day to day work except knowing the difference
    between.

    Layer 2 and 3 for fault finding.

    Depends a lot if you are into basic small LANs or MAN/WAN stuff and what
    type of device you manage / need to debug.

    Layer 1 is generally all done for you, just buy the kit and matching
    cables.

    Layer 4,5 is generally a status message / counter / LED on some device.

    Layer 6,7 is the application end of things, before it hits the wire.

    Me
    why?, May 9, 2006
  4. Richard Fangnail

    Flyer Guest

    "Richard Fangnail" <> wrote in message
    > I've read some books about computer networking and they always talk
    > about the seven layers of networking. Is it important to understand
    > these layers?
    >
    > If somebody has spent years installing networks, is it possible he
    > isn't familiar with these layer models?

    depends on what he does I guess, google for OSI Layers for more info.
    I've spent years doing networking, but have rarely had to resort to using
    that kind of info.
    But others will have different experiences.

    P.
    Flyer, May 9, 2006
  5. Richard Fangnail

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Richard Fangnail wrote:
    > I've read some books about computer networking and they always talk
    > about the seven layers of networking. Is it important to understand
    > these layers?

    I think it's helpful to understand what the FW(s)are looking at in the
    layers of the OSI model.

    http://www.more.net/technical/netserv/tcpip/firewalls/

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, May 9, 2006
  6. Richard Fangnail

    Dan Evans Guest

    > I've read some books about computer networking and they always talk
    > about the seven layers of networking. Is it important to understand
    > these layers?

    You don't need to understand exactly how they work, but a passing
    familiarity is a good idea.

    > If somebody has spent years installing networks, is it possible he
    > isn't familiar with these layer models?

    It's possible (normal) for a field engineer to not be able to explain
    exactly how they work and which bit does what, but he would be expected to
    know that the physical layer refers to cable, connections etc. If the
    installer is just a cable puller, then I wouldn't expect him to know
    anything - cable is cable and this bit goes there.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, May 9, 2006