    result of poor DVD manufacture or of a poor DVD player? Or is it something
    that we just have to live with? I still see it happen on new DVD's (Corpse
    Bride) and I bought a player this past year so what gives?

    JMayer, Feb 14, 2006

  2. On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:00:45 -0500, "JMayer" <>
    wrote:

    >Why aren't layer changes any better? I'm wondering why in this age of
    >'perfect picture and sound' that consumers demand we don't complain about
    >the pause/hiccup that occurs during a layer change. Is this problem a
    >result of poor DVD manufacture or of a poor DVD player? Or is it something
    >that we just have to live with? I still see it happen on new DVD's (Corpse
    >Bride) and I bought a player this past year so what gives?

    Must be the player's fault. I never have a layer-change glitch.

    Kimba W. Lion, Feb 14, 2006

  3. JMayer

    Biz Guest

    There are only a few dozen players or so made that virtually eliminate the
    layer change. IF you know how a layer change actually works, the laser has
    to refocus on the other layer instantaneously, you would see its not a
    compltetly trivial process to eliminate...

    If you go to the Secrets benchmark, you can see all the players that have no
    visible layer change, as its one of the things they test for.

    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi

    You didnt mention what player you bought last year, but I cant tell you that
    unless you spent in most cases well over $100, you are just about guarenteed
    that the player you bought isnt going to have no visible layer change....

    Biz, Feb 14, 2006
  4. JMayer

    Alpha Guest

    "JMayer" <> wrote in message
    > Why aren't layer changes any better? I'm wondering why in this age of
    > 'perfect picture and sound' that consumers demand we don't complain about
    > the pause/hiccup that occurs during a layer change. Is this problem a
    > result of poor DVD manufacture or of a poor DVD player? Or is it
    > something
    > that we just have to live with? I still see it happen on new DVD's
    > (Corpse
    > Bride) and I bought a player this past year so what gives?

    Pay $200 for an Oppo player...it does rather stunning upconversions to
    plasma resolutions as well.

    Alpha, Feb 15, 2006
  5. JMayer

    3W Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message
    > There are only a few dozen players or so made that virtually eliminate the
    > layer change. IF you know how a layer change actually works, the laser

    has
    > to refocus on the other layer instantaneously, you would see its not a
    > compltetly trivial process to eliminate...

    Nothing a little buffering can't handle. That's what's puzzling.

    3W, Feb 16, 2006