    Thanks,

    Dave
    , Dec 2, 2004

  2. Ben Guest

    wrote:
    > Hey all, I've been looking into a 3550 layer 3 switch for it's policy
    > based routing functionality. I was wondering if any of you knew if
    > juniper or any other company offers a comprable product.
    >
    > Or maybe you know another way to solve my problem....
    >
    > I want all frames on a switch to be forwarded to a specific port to a
    > linux box. The linux box will then broute the packets and then send
    > them to their destination. SPAN just sends a copy of the frame which
    > isn't what I want.
    >
    > Any advice?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave

    Hmmm, are you talking about only 'intercepting' traffic to or from a
    certain port, or are you talking about rewriting packet headers as they
    transit the switch?

    I am not exactly sure of your requirements, please provide some more
    detail on the scenario
    Ben, Dec 2, 2004

  3. Brad Reese Guest

    "" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hey all, I've been looking into a 3550 layer 3 switch for it's policy
    > based routing functionality. I was wondering if any of you knew if
    > juniper or any other company offers a comprable product.

    Dave,

    You may want to investigate the Tolly Group Layer 3 Switch Competitive
    Evaluations:

    http://www.tollygroup.com/TS/2002/T...pact vs Cisco/TollyTS202109aTelcoT4R02May.pdf

    and

    http://www.tollygroup.com/TS/2002/T...mpact vs Cisco/TollyTS202109bBATMT4R02May.pdf

    As well as Extreme Networks Summit Series Switches:

    http://www.extremenetworks.com/products/summit/Default.asp

    and the 3Com SuperStack 3 Switch 4900

    http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3C17700-US

    Sincerely,