Layer 2 traffic policing

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by flamer die.spam@hotmail.com, Feb 23, 2009.

  1. flamer

    flamer Guest

    Can anyone recommend the best way to do traffic policing at layer 2?
    We have several models of switches, 450x 650x, 3500, 3400 and would
    like a method that is the same on all platforms.

    On the 45/65xx's I use a vlan interface such as:

    interface Vlan1234
    bandwidth 10000
    service-policy input 10MB

    where the service policy is a policy map named 10MB, with a policer,
    which matches an access list, and the access list says permit ip any
    any. (problem is we arent using any layer 3)

    the above method doesn't work on 3500's so on those I use:

    mac access-list extended catch_all
    permit any any

    class-map match-all Got-all
    match access-group name catch_all

    policy-map 2MB
    class Got-all
    police 3000000 16384 exceed-action drop

    interface fa0/5
    service-policy input 2MB

    which doesn't work on the 4500+

    I know they work as I can do load testing on the ports. cisco don't
    seem to have a recommended way of doing this, does anyone have a
    preferred method?

    Flamer.

    flamer , Feb 23, 2009

  2. "flamer " <> writes:
    >Can anyone recommend the best way to do traffic policing at layer 2?
    >We have several models of switches, 450x 650x, 3500, 3400 and would
    >like a method that is the same on all platforms.

    Not possible. Cisco has implemented that so different on every switch
    platform they have.

    Doug McIntyre, Feb 23, 2009