    all dual nic teamed.

    Just curious if anyone else is having this delima and how they figured
    out how to make it into a reliable design.
    crackerman6969, Jul 23, 2009

  2. crackerman6969

    Trendkill Guest

    On Jul 22, 10:11 pm, crackerman6969 <> wrote:
    > I am stumped on designing a layer 2 redundant design for our data
    > center. Right now we are the 3 tier Cisco model, core, dist, access
    > and the vmware servers are located on 2 trunked access layer switches
    > each with routed uplinks to the distribution switches. We need to add
    > 2 more switches to the same vlans for vmware vmotion to work properly,
    > i.e. trunk those vlans over to 2 other switches. Do I turn the
    > distribution switches into layer 2 or add more switches? I am unable
    > to come up with a bullet proof design. Everything except using vss or
    > a nexus 7000 vpc has at least one point of failure. The servers are
    > all dual nic teamed.
    >
    > Just curious if anyone else is having this delima and how they figured
    > out how to make it into a reliable design.

    Doesn't the current version of VM support vmotion over layer
    3....thought I read that somewhere. Other than that, your options are
    limited. Keep the existing model and extend fiber between the two
    access pairs for that one private vlan is probably the least
    intrusive, as starting to run spanning-tree defeats your distributed
    layer 3 model. Long term, vss/vpc will be the answer. Or move some
    of the non vmotion connections to the second pair, freeing up
    individual ports for vmotion that you can run back to the original
    pair. Of course this gets tough if you have structured cabling.
    Trendkill, Jul 23, 2009

  3. On Jul 23, 5:53 am, Trendkill <> wrote:
    > On Jul 22, 10:11 pm, crackerman6969 <> wrote:
    >
    > > I am stumped on designing a layer 2 redundant design for our data
    > > center. Right now we are the 3 tier Cisco model, core, dist, access
    > > and the vmware servers are located on 2 trunked access layer switches
    > > each with routed uplinks to the distribution switches. We need to add
    > > 2 more switches to the same vlans for vmware vmotion to work properly,
    > > i.e. trunk those vlans over to 2 other switches. Do I turn the
    > > distribution switches into layer 2 or add more switches? I am unable
    > > to come up with a bullet proof design. Everything except using vss or
    > > a nexus 7000 vpc has at least one point of failure. The servers are
    > > all dual nic teamed.

    > > Just curious if anyone else is having this delima and how they figured
    > > out how to make it into a reliable design.

    > Doesn't the current version of VM support vmotion over layer
    > 3....thought I read that somewhere.  Other than that, your options are
    > limited.  Keep the existing model and extend fiber between the two
    > access pairs for that one private vlan is probably the least
    > intrusive, as starting to run spanning-tree defeats your distributed
    > layer 3 model.  Long term, vss/vpc will be the answer.  Or move some
    > of the non vmotion connections to the second pair, freeing up
    > individual ports for vmotion that you can run back to the original
    > pair.  Of course this gets tough if you have structured cabling.

    vmotion is a layer 2 protocol only. This is primarily why cisco is
    preaching vpc's.
    crackerman6969, Aug 27, 2009