Lawrence and Bruce's Puzzle Page

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 13, 2006.

  1. Here's a little puzzle presented in the form of a dialogue between
    two characters. The characters are fictional, but the situation really
    did happen. If you can guess the solution before reading to the end,
    award yourself the corresponding points listed on the right.

    Bruce: What are you doing?
    Lawrence: I'm converting this SuSE Linux machine to use software
    RAID.
    Bruce: Didn't that use to have a hardware RAID controller in it?
    Lawrence: Yes it did--a Promise FastTrak TX2000. But the driver was
    dropped from support in later kernels. I found some partial
    source code at the Promise Web site and tried building it,
    but it didn't work reliably, so I gave up.
    Bruce: Closed source can be a bitch, can't it?
    Lawrence: Yeah. But anyway, back to the job at hand, namely
    reformatting the OS partition on the 40GB drive as one half
    of a RAID-1 pair. The other half will come from the second
    40GB drive which was previously used for the hardware RAID.
    Bruce: You've got a place to back up the OS install, or are you
    going to reinstall?
    Lawrence: I'm going to temporarily copy it to another, 120GB, drive.
    This is Linux--why do a reinstall when you don't have to?
    I'll use this SuSE 9.3 boot CD as a "rescue disc" to boot
    the system from, so I can freely mess around with the hard
    disks. Then I use mdadm to turn the two 40GB partitions
    into a RAID-1 pair. Finally I'll copy the OS installation
    back again.
    Bruce: Don't forget to change the partition type from 82 hex
    (regular Linux filesystem) to FD hex (auto-detected Linux
    RAID partition).
    Lawrence: Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me about that.
    Bruce: Bad things can happen otherwise.
    Lawrence: All right, all right, I'm doing it already.

    (time passes)

    Lawrence: OK, I've set up the RAID-1 partitions, formatted the array
    as an ext3 filesystem, and copied the files back.
    Bruce: Does the kernel have the RAID drivers built-in? Otherwise
    how is it going to boot?
    Lawrence: This is SuSE, not Gentoo. We don't build a custom kernel
    to do things like that, we include the driver modules in
    the initial RAM disk (initrd). Let's see, the basic "md"
    RAID driver is built into the kernel, but the "raid1"
    configuration support is a separate kernel module. I edit
    my /etc/sysconfig/kernel file, look for the
    INITRD_MODULES symbol definition, and make sure the
    modules listed include raid1. Now I just run mkinitrd,
    and that's done.
    Bruce: Don't forget to the the root= kernel parameter in the boot
    loader settings. It currently says /dev/hda2, it should be
    /dev/md0.
    Lawrence: Done.
    Bruce: Same thing in /etc/fstab, where it says to mount the root
    filesystem from /dev/hda2, that should be /dev/md0 as well.
    Lawrence: OK, done. Anything else?
    Bruce: And don't forget to re-set-up the grub bootloader. OK, I
    think that's all the changes you have to make. Let's
    take out that boot CD and see if it starts up from the
    hard drive now...
    Lawrence: OK, there're the BIOS messages ... grub is coming up ...
    the choice of system to boot ... looking good ...
    Bugger. That didn't work, did it? 100
    Bruce: Let's see, there's the messages about autodetecting hda2
    and hdb2, and adding them to the md0 array.
    Lawrence: And right below that, where it tries to mount md0, it says
    the device wasn't found! 80
    Bruce: That's crazy. It goes through all the process of setting that
    device up, then it says it can't even find it.
    Lawrence: Hmmm... is it perhaps not setting up the entry for /dev/md0
    in the initrd?
    Bruce: The kernel root= parameter lets us specify the root device
    in a number of different ways. Besides the usual pathname
    form, we can also directly enter a device number. The
    device definitely is in the kernel, so using the number
    should let us get around any missing /dev/md0 name.
    Lawrence: /dev/md0 is major device 9, minor device 0. How do we enter
    that as one number?
    Bruce: Let's see, shift left, xor in the bits ... 2304.
    Lawrence: OK. The kernel boot line now says root=2304. Rebooting...
    Bruce: Interesting. Instead of a kernel panic like before, it has
    now left us in the initrd, looking at a shell prompt.
    Lawrence: Stuff this. Let's give up. The client is getting antsy
    about how long the machine's been down. I'm going to put it
    back the way it was, with the OS on /dev/hda2 and no RAID.
    Bruce: OK, change the partition type back to 82 hex, and reformat
    it directly as an ext3 filesystem.
    Lawrence: Hmm, it threw up an error about not being able to write back
    the modified partition table--must be because the RAID driver
    still thinks it's got control.
    Bruce: Oh well, a quick reboot will fix that.
    Lawrence: Right. As we were. OK, copy all the files back. Re-do
    the grub setup ... rebooting ...
    Bruce: Interesting. Now it says it can't find /dev/hda2. 60
    Lawrence: But that can't be! Not finding the RAID device I can
    (sort of) understand, but how can it fail to find a simple
    IDE disk!?
    Bruce: Unless...
    Lawrence: ...the message doesn't mean what it says it means? 40
    Bruce: You're formatting the OS partition as ext3, right?
    Lawrence: Yes. Previously it was reiserfs, but with all the doubts
    over the future of that, I thought I'd try ext3 instead.
    Bruce: Is ext3 built into the kernel, or is it loaded as a module? 20
    Lawrence: I thought it was built--no, hang on, it's not! It's a
    module!
    Bruce: There we go. That message saying "device not found" really 0
    means "I don't know how to mount this filesystem". You
    need to include the ext3 module in your initrd.
    Lawrence: *Sigh*. OK, let's go back and try setting up the software
    RAID again.

    (more time passes)

    Lawrence: OK, here we go, second try. Done the initrd, done the
    fstab and the bootloader, here we go...
    Bruce: You've done it. It's booting off the RAID.
    Lawrence: *Phew*. After all that time spent, it really was quite
    simple, wasn't it?
    Bruce: Just a little tricky with the misleading error message.
    Lawrence: Yeah.

    Your score:
    0 -- Stick to Microsoft Windows.
    20 -- By all means use GNOME or KDE, but stay away from
    anything resembling a command line.
    40 -- You can probably manage a few Shell commands and edit files
    with vi.
    60 -- You can probably manage a few Shell commands and edit files
    with emacs.
    80 -- You can tame balky Linux systems with one hand while
    throwing lightning bolts with the other.
    100 -- You rule. Other Linux mavens bow down before you. Feel free
    to write the next Puzzle Page. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 13, 2006

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Hank Guest

    < SNIP THE DREDGE>

    > Your score:
    > 0 -- Stick to Microsoft Windows. - TIME LOST - 1 HOUR
    > 20 -- By all means use GNOME or KDE, but stay away from
    > anything resembling a command line.
    > 40 -- You can probably manage a few Shell commands and edit files
    > with vi.
    > 60 -- You can probably manage a few Shell commands and edit files
    > with emacs.
    > 80 -- You can tame balky Linux systems with one hand while
    > throwing lightning bolts with the other.
    > 100 -- You rule. Other Linux mavens bow down before you. Feel free
    > to write the next Puzzle Page. :) - TIME LOST - 20 HOURS

    Haha, funny how linux nutters dont mind spending days fixing and
    building kernals while the smart windows users just install it and it
    works saving precious time that can be spent with family and friends.

    Enjoy your linux prison sentence.
    Hank, Nov 13, 2006

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Biggles Guest

    On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:57:48 -0800, Hank wrote:

    > < SNIP THE DREDGE>
    >>
    >> Your score:
    >> 0 -- Stick to Microsoft Windows. - TIME LOST - 1 HOUR
    >> 20 -- By all means use GNOME or KDE, but stay away from
    >> anything resembling a command line.
    >> 40 -- You can probably manage a few Shell commands and edit files
    >> with vi.
    >> 60 -- You can probably manage a few Shell commands and edit files
    >> with emacs.
    >> 80 -- You can tame balky Linux systems with one hand while
    >> throwing lightning bolts with the other.
    >> 100 -- You rule. Other Linux mavens bow down before you. Feel free
    >> to write the next Puzzle Page. :) - TIME LOST - 20 HOURS

    > Haha, funny how linux nutters dont mind spending days fixing and
    > building kernals while the smart windows users just install it and it
    > works saving precious time that can be spent with family and friends.
    >
    > Enjoy your linux prison sentence.

    Amen

    Jennings
    Biggles, Nov 13, 2006
  4. Hank wrote:
    > < SNIP THE DREDGE>
    >> Your score:
    >> 0 -- Stick to Microsoft Windows. - TIME LOST - 1 HOUR
    >> 20 -- By all means use GNOME or KDE, but stay away from
    >> anything resembling a command line.
    >> 40 -- You can probably manage a few Shell commands and edit files
    >> with vi.
    >> 60 -- You can probably manage a few Shell commands and edit files
    >> with emacs.
    >> 80 -- You can tame balky Linux systems with one hand while
    >> throwing lightning bolts with the other.
    >> 100 -- You rule. Other Linux mavens bow down before you. Feel free
    >> to write the next Puzzle Page. :) - TIME LOST - 20 HOURS

    > Haha, funny how linux nutters dont mind spending days fixing and
    > building kernals while the smart windows users just install it and it
    > works saving precious time that can be spent with family and friends.
    >
    > Enjoy your linux prison sentence.

    Thank you for your contribution Doctor Rumsfeld.
    Mark Robinson, Nov 13, 2006
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Jerry Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Here's a little puzzle presented in the form of a dialogue between
    > two characters. The characters are fictional, but the situation really
    > did happen. If you can guess the solution before reading to the end,
    > award yourself the corresponding points listed on the right.

    And you were complaining that it is possible to change the daylight
    savings time with a minor registry change, and that only if you didn't
    want to use the utility that will do it for you.

    Why do you suppose Linux is having trouble winning share from Windows?
    With Windows you just install it and it runs.

    If you ask in here about installing Linux you will get 10 conflicting
    answers about what distro to use. if it was as easy as Windows, then
    Microsoft would soon lose.
    Jerry, Nov 13, 2006
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Earl Grey Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Here's a little puzzle presented in the form of a dialogue between
    >> two characters. The characters are fictional, but the situation really
    >> did happen. If you can guess the solution before reading to the end,
    >> award yourself the corresponding points listed on the right.

    > And you were complaining that it is possible to change the daylight
    > savings time with a minor registry change, and that only if you didn't
    > want to use the utility that will do it for you.
    >
    > Why do you suppose Linux is having trouble winning share from Windows?
    > With Windows you just install it and it runs.
    >
    > If you ask in here about installing Linux you will get 10 conflicting
    > answers about what distro to use. if it was as easy as Windows, then
    > Microsoft would soon lose.

    99% of Windows users have never installed Windows.
    Its not that easy, you have a heap of cds, one for the operating system
    then one that came with the motherboard, then one that came in the box
    with each other piece of kit attached, then one for each application.
    You have to enter key numbers for the operating system and the applications.
    Most first timers have to ask for help.
    I've been thriugh the process with both operating systems, and I don't
    think Windows is a clear winner on ease of installation of a full
    working setup at all.
    Earl Grey, Nov 13, 2006
  7. In message <4558e365$>, Jerry wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Here's a little puzzle presented in the form of a dialogue between
    >> two characters. The characters are fictional, but the situation really
    >> did happen. If you can guess the solution before reading to the end,
    >> award yourself the corresponding points listed on the right.

    > And you were complaining that it is possible to change the daylight
    > savings time with a minor registry change, and that only if you didn't
    > want to use the utility that will do it for you.

    So what are the steps in Dimdows to convert a JBOD partition to software
    RAID without reinstalling?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 13, 2006
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Flintstone Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:
    > Jerry wrote:
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> Here's a little puzzle presented in the form of a dialogue between
    >>> two characters. The characters are fictional, but the situation really
    >>> did happen. If you can guess the solution before reading to the end,
    >>> award yourself the corresponding points listed on the right.

    >> And you were complaining that it is possible to change the daylight
    >> savings time with a minor registry change, and that only if you didn't
    >> want to use the utility that will do it for you.
    >>
    >> Why do you suppose Linux is having trouble winning share from Windows?
    >> With Windows you just install it and it runs.
    >>
    >> If you ask in here about installing Linux you will get 10 conflicting
    >> answers about what distro to use. if it was as easy as Windows, then
    >> Microsoft would soon lose.

    > 99% of Windows users have never installed Windows.
    > Its not that easy, you have a heap of cds, one for the operating system
    > then one that came with the motherboard, then one that came in the box
    > with each other piece of kit attached, then one for each application.
    > You have to enter key numbers for the operating system and the
    > applications.
    > Most first timers have to ask for help.
    > I've been thriugh the process with both operating systems, and I don't
    > think Windows is a clear winner on ease of installation of a full
    > working setup at all.

    I think Windows is dead easy. And I have installed various Linux distros
    and they are quite easy too. But I still prefer windows.
    Flintstone, Nov 13, 2006
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Bryce Utting Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >> And you were complaining that it is possible to change the daylight
    >> savings time with a minor registry change, and that only if you didn't
    >> want to use the utility that will do it for you.

    > So what are the steps in Dimdows to convert a JBOD partition to software
    > RAID without reinstalling?

    hire an MSCE to do it for you ;>

    okay, so it'll take some time. and a lot of money. and probably
    won't work anyway. but -- at -- least -- you're -- doing -- the --
    right -- thing!

    butting

    --
    I am very new to programming drivers so if I sound un-knowledgeable
    then it's because I am.
    Bryce Utting, Nov 14, 2006
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Shane Guest

    Biggles wrote:

    > On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:57:48 -0800, Hank wrote:
    >
    >> < SNIP THE DREDGE>
    >>>
    >>> Your score:
    >>> 0 -- Stick to Microsoft Windows. - TIME LOST - 1 HOUR
    >>> 20 -- By all means use GNOME or KDE, but stay away from
    >>> anything resembling a command line.
    >>> 40 -- You can probably manage a few Shell commands and edit files
    >>> with vi.
    >>> 60 -- You can probably manage a few Shell commands and edit files
    >>> with emacs.
    >>> 80 -- You can tame balky Linux systems with one hand while
    >>> throwing lightning bolts with the other.
    >>> 100 -- You rule. Other Linux mavens bow down before you. Feel free
    >>> to write the next Puzzle Page. :) - TIME LOST - 20 HOURS

    >> Haha, funny how linux nutters dont mind spending days fixing and
    >> building kernals while the smart windows users just install it and it
    >> works saving precious time that can be spent with family and friends.
    >>
    >> Enjoy your linux prison sentence.

    > Amen
    >

    > Jennings

    Does that also refer to your *vast* webserver experience you claim gives you
    credibility when talking about linux.
    Or (as is more likely) you are one of the [several] people who saw linux
    being used, in a dark room, as you rode past, in a bullet train, on a rainy
    night

    --
    Amy: Oh, no! My beautiful money!

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Nov 14, 2006
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Fran Guest

    Hank wrote:

    > < SNIP THE DREDGE>
    >>
    >> Your score:
    >> 0 -- Stick to Microsoft Windows. - TIME LOST - 1 HOUR
    >> 20 -- By all means use GNOME or KDE, but stay away from
    >> anything resembling a command line.
    >> 40 -- You can probably manage a few Shell commands and edit files
    >> with vi.
    >> 60 -- You can probably manage a few Shell commands and edit files
    >> with emacs.
    >> 80 -- You can tame balky Linux systems with one hand while
    >> throwing lightning bolts with the other.
    >> 100 -- You rule. Other Linux mavens bow down before you. Feel free
    >> to write the next Puzzle Page. :) - TIME LOST - 20 HOURS

    > Haha, funny how linux nutters dont mind spending days fixing and
    > building kernals while the smart windows users just install it and it
    > works saving precious time that can be spent with family and friends.
    >
    > Enjoy your linux prison sentence.

    Build kernal, install kernal, reboot.

    Once every couple of months if a new kernal is released.

    In the meantime it's up 24/7.

    Fran
    :):):)
    Fran, Nov 14, 2006
  12. In article <>, Fran <> wrote:
    >Hank wrote:
    >
    >> < SNIP THE DREDGE>
    >>>
    >>> Your score:
    >>> 0 -- Stick to Microsoft Windows. - TIME LOST - 1 HOUR
    >>> 20 -- By all means use GNOME or KDE, but stay away from
    >>> anything resembling a command line.
    >>> 40 -- You can probably manage a few Shell commands and edit files
    >>> with vi.
    >>> 60 -- You can probably manage a few Shell commands and edit files
    >>> with emacs.
    >>> 80 -- You can tame balky Linux systems with one hand while
    >>> throwing lightning bolts with the other.
    >>> 100 -- You rule. Other Linux mavens bow down before you. Feel free
    >>> to write the next Puzzle Page. :) - TIME LOST - 20 HOURS

    >> Haha, funny how linux nutters dont mind spending days fixing and
    >> building kernals while the smart windows users just install it and it
    >> works saving precious time that can be spent with family and friends.
    >>
    >> Enjoy your linux prison sentence.

    >Build kernal, install kernal, reboot.
    >
    >Once every couple of months if a new kernal is released.
    >
    >In the meantime it's up 24/7.

    <piccy on> .. isn't it "kernel" ?
    <piccy off>

    :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 14, 2006
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in news:ej9i9l
    $pri$:

    > Bruce: What are you doing?
    > Lawrence: I'm converting this SuSE Linux machine to use software
    > RAID.
    > Bruce: Didn't that use to have a hardware RAID controller in it?
    > Lawrence: Yes it did--a Promise FastTrak TX2000. But the driver was
    > dropped from support in later kernels. I found some partial
    > source code at the Promise Web site and tried building it,
    > but it didn't work reliably, so I gave up.
    > Bruce: Closed source can be a bitch, can't it?

    Sure, but so can software raid.
    I guess this controller doesn't have many features, like presenting a
    single physical disk to the OS? Or were you missing a feature like email
    alert if error detected?
    Why not spend the clients money on a decent 3ware controller instead of
    billable hours?

    I am just asking, I don't know much about this controller or linux software
    raid.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Nov 14, 2006
  14. In message <Xns987BC8CC97512daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>, Dave Taylor
    wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in
    > news:ej9i9l $pri$:
    >
    >> Bruce: What are you doing?
    >> Lawrence: I'm converting this SuSE Linux machine to use software
    >> RAID.
    >> Bruce: Didn't that use to have a hardware RAID controller in it?
    >> Lawrence: Yes it did--a Promise FastTrak TX2000. But the driver was
    >> dropped from support in later kernels. I found some partial
    >> source code at the Promise Web site and tried building it,
    >> but it didn't work reliably, so I gave up.
    >> Bruce: Closed source can be a bitch, can't it?

    > Sure, but so can software raid.

    Not in my experience. Admittedly that was only the third machine I'd set up
    with software RAID.

    > I guess this controller doesn't have many features, like presenting a
    > single physical disk to the OS? Or were you missing a feature like email
    > alert if error detected?

    The reasons are mentioned above.

    > Why not spend the clients money on a decent 3ware controller instead of
    > billable hours?

    I have had experience with several hardware RAID controllers in Linux so
    far, none of them entirely satisfactory. Another machine belonging to this
    client crashes randomly a couple of times a year, whereas an identical
    backup machine (lacking only the RAID controller) has stayed up
    continuously for over a year so far. A different RAID controller for
    another client seems to completely lack any kind of admin utility that lets
    me check on the health of the disks.

    That's why I'm settling on software RAID these days. It'll work with any
    hardware, and it comes with a full-featured admin utility as standard.

    Note that the fundamental problem of the misleading error message was
    nothing to do with the RAID software at all.

    By the way, this was a learning experience for me, so I reduced the client's
    billable hours accordingly.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 14, 2006
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 23:45:02 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> exclaimed:

    >Lawrence: OK, here we go, second try. Done the initrd, done the
    > fstab and the bootloader, here we go...
    >Bruce: You've done it. It's booting off the RAID.
    >Lawrence: *Phew*. After all that time spent, it really was quite
    > simple, wasn't it?
    >Bruce: Just a little tricky with the misleading error message.
    >Lawrence: Yeah.
    >
    >Your score:
    > 0 -- Stick to Microsoft Windows.
    > 20 -- By all means use GNOME or KDE, but stay away from
    > anything resembling a command line.
    > 40 -- You can probably manage a few Shell commands and edit files
    > with vi.
    > 60 -- You can probably manage a few Shell commands and edit files
    > with emacs.
    > 80 -- You can tame balky Linux systems with one hand while
    > throwing lightning bolts with the other.
    >100 -- You rule. Other Linux mavens bow down before you. Feel free
    > to write the next Puzzle Page. :)

    500 -- Stick to Windows, where you can rely on a proper hardware
    solution that just works, rather than moving to a crappy software
    RAID...
    Fred Dagg, Nov 14, 2006
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:46:06 +1300, Earl Grey <> exclaimed:

    >Jerry wrote:
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> Here's a little puzzle presented in the form of a dialogue between
    >>> two characters. The characters are fictional, but the situation really
    >>> did happen. If you can guess the solution before reading to the end,
    >>> award yourself the corresponding points listed on the right.

    >> And you were complaining that it is possible to change the daylight
    >> savings time with a minor registry change, and that only if you didn't
    >> want to use the utility that will do it for you.
    >>
    >> Why do you suppose Linux is having trouble winning share from Windows?
    >> With Windows you just install it and it runs.
    >>
    >> If you ask in here about installing Linux you will get 10 conflicting
    >> answers about what distro to use. if it was as easy as Windows, then
    >> Microsoft would soon lose.

    >99% of Windows users have never installed Windows.
    >Its not that easy, you have a heap of cds, one for the operating system
    >then one that came with the motherboard, then one that came in the box
    >with each other piece of kit attached, then one for each application.
    >You have to enter key numbers for the operating system and the applications.
    >Most first timers have to ask for help.
    >I've been thriugh the process with both operating systems, and I don't
    >think Windows is a clear winner on ease of installation of a full
    >working setup at all.

    Well, I can quite confidently tell you it is a clear winner, and I've
    installed literally hundreds (or more, sadly) of Windows and Linux
    boxes in my time.
    Fred Dagg, Nov 14, 2006
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 10:51:00 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> exclaimed:

    >In message <4558e365$>, Jerry wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> Here's a little puzzle presented in the form of a dialogue between
    >>> two characters. The characters are fictional, but the situation really
    >>> did happen. If you can guess the solution before reading to the end,
    >>> award yourself the corresponding points listed on the right.

    >> And you were complaining that it is possible to change the daylight
    >> savings time with a minor registry change, and that only if you didn't
    >> want to use the utility that will do it for you.

    >So what are the steps in Dimdows to convert a JBOD partition to software
    >RAID without reinstalling?

    Well, for a start, you wouldn't rely on shitty software RAID.

    And you'd ghost a backup (just in case), install the RAID drivers,
    shut down, plug it into the RAID card, start up, set the RAID to start
    rebuilding (you don't need to wait for it to finish with most RAID
    cards), restart, and you're done.

    It is a 15 minute process, and several orders of magnitude better than
    software RAID, even on a $30 RAID card (which probably wont work in
    Linux....)
    Fred Dagg, Nov 14, 2006
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:42:17 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> exclaimed:

    >By the way, this was a learning experience for me, so I reduced the client's
    >billable hours accordingly.

    My god, you charge clients to spend days setting up a software RAID?

    Do you explain that it is massively less reliable than a proper
    hardware solution, and doesn't provide the same performance bonus on
    reads?
    Fred Dagg, Nov 14, 2006
  19. In message <>, Fred Dagg wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:42:17 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> exclaimed:
    >

    >>By the way, this was a learning experience for me, so I reduced the
    >>client's billable hours accordingly.

    > My god, you charge clients to spend days setting up a software RAID?

    No.

    > Do you explain that it is massively less reliable than a proper
    > hardware solution, and doesn't provide the same performance bonus on
    > reads?

    No. I don't like to lie to my customers.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 14, 2006
  20. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 23:36:23 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> exclaimed:

    >In message <>, Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:42:17 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> exclaimed:
    >>

    >>>By the way, this was a learning experience for me, so I reduced the
    >>>client's billable hours accordingly.

    >> My god, you charge clients to spend days setting up a software RAID?

    >No.
    >
    >> Do you explain that it is massively less reliable than a proper
    >> hardware solution, and doesn't provide the same performance bonus on
    >> reads?

    >No. I don't like to lie to my customers.

    Sounds like you do, or at very least are remiss in not explaining the
    full story to them.

    Software RAID is crap. That's a fact. You simply should not be
    utilising a software RAID solution in a business environment, and by
    doing this instead of utilising a proper hardware RAID solution, you
    are not providing the best solution for your customers.
    Fred Dagg, Nov 14, 2006