    Does anyone know if they are having a problem with their definition
    update server?

    gary
    Gary, Mar 28, 2007

  2. Gary

    Tx2 Guest

    In article <%IxOh.18803$>,
    says...

    > Does anyone know if they are having a problem with their definition
    > update server?

    No problem here, but please, if you wish to post to more than one group,
    cross-post correctly.
    Tx2, Mar 28, 2007

  3. Gary

    Zilbandy Guest

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:10:04 +0100, Tx2
    <> wrote:

    >but please, if you wish to post to more than one group,
    >cross-post correctly.

    The correct way to crosspost/multipost is not an open and shut case. I
    see many groups where people tell others to multipost and other groups
    where they are told to crosspost. I guess it depends on the
    individuals' preference. Personally, I tend to post in just one group
    and wait a couple days for a reply. If none, it's off to a different
    group.

    --
    Zilbandy
    Zilbandy, Mar 28, 2007
  4. Gary

    Tx2 Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > The correct way to crosspost/multipost is not an open and shut case.

    I cite a 'popular' source for your perusal

    and then see the section "Etiquette" at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_posting

    There are others. A Google search will provide references.

    > I see many groups where people tell others to multipost and other groups
    > where they are told to crosspost. I guess it depends on the
    > individuals' preference.

    Usenet is not based on "individual preference", it is based on a set of
    suggested guidelines that have been tried and tested in excess of 2
    decades. Unfortunately, there are those who wish to do things 'their
    way', which breaks the 'system' somewhat.

    > Personally, I tend to post in just one group and wait a couple days
    > for a reply. If none, it's off to a different group.

    The exact same message was posted to at least 2 groups I use, more or
    less at the same time which is clearly multi-posting.

    However, do see
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html...

    ....particularly the section entitled
    "Why not send again to a different group?"

    HTH
    Tx2, Mar 28, 2007
  5. Gary

    Zilbandy Guest

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:17:42 +0100, Tx2
    <> wrote:

    >> The correct way to crosspost/multipost is not an open and shut case.

    >I cite a 'popular' source for your perusal
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting
    >
    >and then see the section "Etiquette" at
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_posting
    >
    >There are others. A Google search will provide references.

    Wikipedia, you say. Hmmm, I wonder what they say about which
    automobile is the best one for people to drive. I looked at
    generalmotors.com, ford.com, and toyota.com, and they all seem to
    think they have the best answer. Like I said, it's not an open and
    shut case, Wikipedia not withstanding.

    --
    Zilbandy
    Zilbandy, Mar 28, 2007
  6. Gary

    Zilbandy Guest

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:26:07 -0700, Zilbandy
    <> wrote:

    > Like I said, it's not an open and
    >shut case, Wikipedia not withstanding.

    Maybe I should restate this. Some groups I frequent do not like
    crossposts. I think one should try to conform with the norm for the
    group. Now, I personally don't like to multipost or cross post, but I
    do have a crosspost filter on my Usenet client and I do use it. Also,
    when I reply to a crossposted message, my Usenet client is set to
    respond only to the group I'm reading. All these options can make
    crossposting just as frustrating as multiposting. My advice... do
    neither.

    --
    Zilbandy
    Zilbandy, Mar 28, 2007
  7. Gary

    Tx2 Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Wikipedia, you say. Hmmm, I wonder what they say about which
    > automobile is the best one for people to drive. I looked at
    > generalmotors.com, ford.com, and toyota.com, and they all seem to
    > think they have the best answer. Like I said, it's not an open and
    > shut case, Wikipedia not withstanding.

    ....and like I said, a Google search will provide other references.

    Wikipedia is respected enough - and certainly so in this instance - to
    provide accurate information. If you choose to doubt it, then by your
    own admission, you would benefit from further research in order to add
    foundation to that which Wikipedia has already provided.

    Car (automobile) analogies, whilst widely used, rarely work on Usenet by
    the way.

    I wasn't suggesting Wikipedia had the best answer, merely that it was
    one of several which all agreed with the others.
    Tx2, Mar 28, 2007