    times the scan carries on as normal but never finds anything. The drives I
    have selected for Ad-aware to scan does not include the D: drive, which is
    my CD drive. Can someone please help me resolve this problem?

    *****General, Nov 4, 2004

  2. *****General

    Freddy Guest

    Delete and reinstall.

    Freddy, Nov 4, 2004

  3. *****General

    *****General Guest

    D'oh! "Sometimes the simplest of solutions are right in front our closed
    eyes". Thanks.
    But just out of curiosity and wanting it to not happen again, what caused
    this problem?

    *****General, Nov 4, 2004
  4. *****General

    trout Guest

    *****General wrote:

    > D'oh! "Sometimes the simplest of solutions are right in front our
    > closed eyes". Thanks.
    > But just out of curiosity and wanting it to not happen again, what
    > caused this problem?

    *Quite likely*, your system or browser just got a bit fidgety (to
    use the technical term) and a download got corrupted. It can happen from
    time to time. This is why I update my programs after a reboot, when the
    system resources aren't distracted by bits of things running in the
    background.

    > "Freddy" <> wrote in message
    >> Delete and reinstall.
    >>
    >> "*****General" <*****> wrote in message
    >>> I have recently started getting problems while running Lavasoft
    >>> Ad-Aware 6. When I start the application I get an error message
    >>> saying: "Error while loading the Ad-aware reference file".

    [snip]
    --
    "You've now run out of things to read here."

    trout, Nov 5, 2004
  5. *****General

    *****General Guest

    Seems to be a hell of a lot of people have been getting this problem. I have
    Ad-Aware and encountered the same problem. I uninstalled and re-installed
    and everything worked fine for a little while. Then all of a sudden it
    happened again for no reason. I could open up Ad-Aware and have it work
    fine. Close it and open it again straight away and it won't work. Also I
    kept getting an old reference file from 2003. I also uncovered a startling
    thing in my registry while searching for references to Ad-Aware:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings\ZoneMap\Domains. This led me to:
    http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.cdt.html
    I deleted all of these entries in my registry (how the hell did they all get
    there without SpyBot warning me of a registry change I will never know) and
    all other references to Adware or Ad-Aware. I then got the latest Ad-Ware
    download (Ad-Ware SE) and installed it from the Lavasoft website. Everything
    seems to be working fine now as I have discovered 45 new critical objects.
    *fingers crossed* Hope this helps.

    *****General, Nov 5, 2004
  6. *****General

    trout Guest

    *****General wrote:

    > Seems to be a hell of a lot of people have been getting this problem.
    > I have Ad-Aware and encountered the same problem. I uninstalled and
    > re-installed and everything worked fine for a little while. Then all
    > of a sudden it happened again for no reason. I could open up Ad-Aware
    > and have it work fine. Close it and open it again straight away and
    > it won't work. Also I kept getting an old reference file from 2003. I
    > also uncovered a startling thing in my registry while searching for
    > references to Ad-Aware:
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    > Settings\ZoneMap\Domains. This led me to:
    > http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.cdt.html

    Are you saying that you actually found "adware.cdt" (which is
    spyware, of course), or this Symantec (A/V) page *about* it?

    > I deleted all of these entries in my registry (how the hell did they
    > all get there without SpyBot warning me of a registry change I will
    > never know) and all other references to Adware or Ad-Aware. I then
    > got the latest Ad-Ware download (Ad-Ware SE) and installed it from
    > the Lavasoft website. Everything seems to be working fine now as I
    > have discovered 45 new critical objects.
    > *fingers crossed* Hope this helps.

    Remember also, that AdAware will sometimes report finding elements
    of Spybot S&D, like virus definitions or Hosts file entries. Have a good
    look at items before you delete them.

    trout, Nov 5, 2004
  7. *****General

    *****General Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    > *****General wrote:
    >
    > > Seems to be a hell of a lot of people have been getting this problem.
    > > I have Ad-Aware and encountered the same problem. I uninstalled and
    > > re-installed and everything worked fine for a little while. Then all
    > > of a sudden it happened again for no reason. I could open up Ad-Aware
    > > and have it work fine. Close it and open it again straight away and
    > > it won't work. Also I kept getting an old reference file from 2003. I
    > > also uncovered a startling thing in my registry while searching for
    > > references to Ad-Aware:
    > > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    > > Settings\ZoneMap\Domains. This led me to:
    > > http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.cdt.html

    > Are you saying that you actually found "adware.cdt" (which is
    > spyware, of course), or this Symantec (A/V) page *about* it?

    I found the webpage. Thankfully I did not find adware.cdt.

    > > I deleted all of these entries in my registry (how the hell did they
    > > all get there without SpyBot warning me of a registry change I will
    > > never know) and all other references to Adware or Ad-Aware. I then
    > > got the latest Ad-Ware download (Ad-Ware SE) and installed it from
    > > the Lavasoft website. Everything seems to be working fine now as I
    > > have discovered 45 new critical objects.
    > > *fingers crossed* Hope this helps.

    > Remember also, that AdAware will sometimes report finding elements
    > of Spybot S&D, like virus definitions or Hosts file entries. Have a good
    > look at items before you delete them.

    Thanks. Everything works fine now.

    *****General, Nov 6, 2004