    shown at a slightly faster speed than normal. I wrote to Kino but got a
    terse reply that if I thought there was a defect with the disc I should
    return it. Did anyone else notice a problem with the sound?

    Robert Kass, Aug 12, 2004

  2. Robert Kass

    Bill Coleman Guest

    It was from a European master and has PAL speedup.
    It's still apparently a much better print than any
    other circulating on DVD. I have a number of European
    Kinowelt European DVDs, and the slight speedup does not
    bother me, though I know some people are more sensitive
    to it. At any rate, it is not a defective disc, that was
    the way it was mastered.

    Bill Coleman

    ===============================

    Bill Coleman, Aug 12, 2004

  3. "Bill Coleman" <> wrote in message
    > It was from a European master and has PAL speedup.
    > It's still apparently a much better print than any
    > other circulating on DVD. I have a number of European
    > Kinowelt European DVDs, and the slight speedup does not
    > bother me, though I know some people are more sensitive
    > to it. At any rate, it is not a defective disc, that was
    > the way it was mastered.

    Hello. I know the issue about the Pal speedup, and I believe Kino just used
    the European work as it was released on dvd. But why could'nt they
    (assuming they acquired the rights), have just gone back to the original
    film elements? surely European films are 24fps just like the U.S. standard,
    correct? Or are there other issues?

    Bernie Woodham, Aug 17, 2004
  4. Robert Kass

    Bill Coleman Guest

    Apparently it's too expensive on this limited audience items....

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=

    Bill Coleman, Aug 17, 2004
  5. Robert Kass

    drsd2kill Guest

    Perhaps the restoration was done on video, so they had to use the PAL source.
    Many other companies have had to do likewise when the "restoration" is only
    done on video and not on film so as to facilitate a new transfer.

    drsd2kill, Aug 18, 2004