LAURA

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Stan Brown, Apr 2, 2005.

  1. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    What a beautiful DVD. The print is gorgeous,(*) with no color
    artifacts as I sometimes see on my TV in B&W films. The extras are
    quite nice: one commentary track by a film professor and the film's
    Oscar-nominated composer(**), another commentary by a film
    historian, A&E 45-minute biographies of Tierney and Price, and the
    choice of seeing the theatrical version or the slightly longer
    director's version,(***) which had scenes of Waldo taking Laura to
    the couturier's, to fancy balls, and to El Morocco.

    At $10 give or take, this disc is an incredible bargain.

    (*) The included theatrical trailer has really dreadful scratches.
    It makes you think how much effort must go into restoring a 60-
    year-old movie.

    (**) Apparently they weren't in the same room, because several
    times one of them makes a point that the other one just made. The
    commentary did point out some things I had never noticed before,
    and gave some titbits of the history of how the movie got made.

    (***) TCM broadcast this version, IIRC, because I've seen it before
    and that's the only place I can remember seeing the movie.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown, Apr 2, 2005

  2. Stan Brown

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Stan Brown wrote:
    > What a beautiful DVD. The print is gorgeous,(*) with no color
    > artifacts as I sometimes see on my TV in B&W films. The extras are
    > quite nice: one commentary track by a film professor and the film's
    > Oscar-nominated composer(**), another commentary by a film
    > historian, A&E 45-minute biographies of Tierney and Price, and the
    > choice of seeing the theatrical version or the slightly longer
    > director's version,(***) which had scenes of Waldo taking Laura to
    > the couturier's, to fancy balls, and to El Morocco.
    >
    > At $10 give or take, this disc is an incredible bargain.

    In general me too posts don't serve much use, but I had to say that I
    absolutely agree about almost everything Stan said. (I haven't seen the
    Price bio yet). If you're a fan of this kind of movie, go out and buy
    it NOW.

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Apr 2, 2005

  3. Stan Brown

    Einstine Guest

    STAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Einstine, Apr 2, 2005
  4. Stan Brown

    Alpha Guest

    "Dick Sidbury" <> wrote in message
    > Stan Brown wrote:
    >> What a beautiful DVD. The print is gorgeous,(*) with no color artifacts
    >> as I sometimes see on my TV in B&W films. The extras are quite nice: one
    >> commentary track by a film professor and the film's Oscar-nominated
    >> composer(**), another commentary by a film historian, A&E 45-minute
    >> biographies of Tierney and Price, and the choice of seeing the theatrical
    >> version or the slightly longer director's version,(***) which had scenes
    >> of Waldo taking Laura to the couturier's, to fancy balls, and to El
    >> Morocco.
    >>
    >> At $10 give or take, this disc is an incredible bargain.
    >>

    > In general me too posts don't serve much use, but I had to say that I
    > absolutely agree about almost everything Stan said. (I haven't seen the
    > Price bio yet). If you're a fan of this kind of movie, go out and buy it
    > NOW.
    >
    > dick

    The commentary by Raksin is minimal and near worthless, but otherwise I
    agree.

    Alpha, Apr 2, 2005
  5. Dick Sidbury wrote:

    > Stan Brown wrote:
    >
    >> What a beautiful DVD. The print is gorgeous,(*) with no color
    >> artifacts as I sometimes see on my TV in B&W films. The extras are
    >> quite nice: one commentary track by a film professor and the film's
    >> Oscar-nominated composer(**), another commentary by a film historian,
    >> A&E 45-minute biographies of Tierney and Price, and the choice of
    >> seeing the theatrical version or the slightly longer director's
    >> version,(***) which had scenes of Waldo taking Laura to the
    >> couturier's, to fancy balls, and to El Morocco.
    >>
    >> At $10 give or take, this disc is an incredible bargain.
    >>

    > In general me too posts don't serve much use, but I had to say that I
    > absolutely agree about almost everything Stan said. (I haven't seen the
    > Price bio yet). If you're a fan of this kind of movie, go out and buy
    > it NOW.

    And Costco has it as a package with PANIC IN THE STREETS and CALL
    NORTHSIDE 777 for $17.99.

    --
    Evelyn C. Leeper
    http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper

    Evelyn C. Leeper, Apr 3, 2005
  6. Stan Brown

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Evelyn C. Leeper wrote:
    > Dick Sidbury wrote:
    >
    >> Stan Brown wrote:
    >>
    >>> What a beautiful DVD. The print is gorgeous,(*) with no color
    >>> artifacts as I sometimes see on my TV in B&W films. The extras are
    >>> quite nice: one commentary track by a film professor and the film's
    >>> Oscar-nominated composer(**), another commentary by a film historian,
    >>> A&E 45-minute biographies of Tierney and Price, and the choice of
    >>> seeing the theatrical version or the slightly longer director's
    >>> version,(***) which had scenes of Waldo taking Laura to the
    >>> couturier's, to fancy balls, and to El Morocco.
    >>>
    >>> At $10 give or take, this disc is an incredible bargain.
    >>>

    >> In general me too posts don't serve much use, but I had to say that I
    >> absolutely agree about almost everything Stan said. (I haven't seen
    >> the Price bio yet). If you're a fan of this kind of movie, go out and
    >> buy it NOW.

    > And Costco has it as a package with PANIC IN THE STREETS and CALL
    > NORTHSIDE 777 for $17.99.

    Sam's club has a similar price too.

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Apr 3, 2005