    been announced?

    Thanks,

    Bob

    Bob Moke, Dec 9, 2003

  2. On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Bob Moke wrote:

    > As the 1944 classic was rumored to be issued in early November (and a
    > picture of the DVD version can be seen on some sites), all I come up
    > with in various listings are "unavailable," "back-ordered," or
    > "discontinued."
    >
    > Does anyone know what the delay may be or if a revised issue date has
    > been announced?

    I haven't heard about Laura (possibly some new archival material or
    commentary participants coming to light), but I finally got my Sunrise DVD
    yesterday after waiting for three months.

    Is that about par for the course for everyone else who sent away for it?

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Dec 9, 2003

  3. Bob Moke

    jayembee Guest

    Stephen Cooke <> wrote:

    >Bob Moke wrote:
    >
    >>As the 1944 classic was rumored to be issued in early November (and
    >>a picture of the DVD version can be seen on some sites), all I come
    >>up with in various listings are "unavailable," "back-ordered," or
    >>"discontinued."
    >>
    >>Does anyone know what the delay may be or if a revised issue date
    >>has been announced?

    I don't believe that Fox has given an official explanation for the
    delay, but the general belief is that, like THE GRAPES OF WRATH, some
    better source material has been found.

    There's currently no new release date set. But it'll be May at the
    earliest, as Fox has already set the Studio Classics release list for
    January through April:

    My Darling Clementine (Jan 6th)
    The Diary of Anne Frank (Feb 3rd)
    Peyton Place (Mar 2nd)
    The Grapes of Wrath (April 6th

    >I haven't heard about Laura (possibly some new archival material or
    >commentary participants coming to light), but I finally got my Sunrise DVD
    >yesterday after waiting for three months.
    >
    >Is that about par for the course for everyone else who sent away for it?

    Mine took about six weeks, if memory serves. But then, I sent away for
    mine right at the beginning.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Dec 10, 2003
  4. On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 02:51:46 GMT, jayembee
    <> wrote:

    >Stephen Cooke <> wrote:
    >
    >>Bob Moke wrote:
    >>
    >>>As the 1944 classic was rumored to be issued in early November (and
    >>>a picture of the DVD version can be seen on some sites), all I come
    >>>up with in various listings are "unavailable," "back-ordered," or
    >>>"discontinued."
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone know what the delay may be or if a revised issue date
    >>>has been announced?

    >I don't believe that Fox has given an official explanation for the
    >delay, but the general belief is that, like THE GRAPES OF WRATH, some
    >better source material has been found.

    I'm sorry I don't have the link, but the story is that the discs for
    "Laura" were already authored, pressed, and due for release when the
    better film elements turned up. So it's a complete redo just to get
    things right. That's Fox for you, unlike some other distributors such
    as (Ahem) Universal.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Dec 10, 2003
  5. Bob Moke

    gardibolt Guest

    jayembee <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Stephen Cooke <> wrote:
    >
    > >Bob Moke wrote:
    > >
    > >>As the 1944 classic was rumored to be issued in early November (and
    > >>a picture of the DVD version can be seen on some sites), all I come
    > >>up with in various listings are "unavailable," "back-ordered," or
    > >>"discontinued."
    > >>
    > >>Does anyone know what the delay may be or if a revised issue date
    > >>has been announced?

    > I don't believe that Fox has given an official explanation for the
    > delay, but the general belief is that, like THE GRAPES OF WRATH, some
    > better source material has been found.

    Could be, but Laura was also in rights hell for many years before it
    finally came out on VHS (possibly the theme song? not sure on the
    details). I hope and pray that's not the case again since I really
    want this on DVD.

    gardibolt, Dec 10, 2003
  6. Bob Moke

    Bob Moke Guest

    On 10 Dec 2003 10:08:57 -0800, (gardibolt) wrote:

    >jayembee <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> Stephen Cooke <> wrote:

    >> I don't believe that Fox has given an official explanation for the
    >> delay, but the general belief is that, like THE GRAPES OF WRATH, some
    >> better source material has been found.
    >>

    >Could be, but Laura was also in rights hell for many years before it
    >finally came out on VHS (possibly the theme song? not sure on the
    >details). I hope and pray that's not the case again since I really
    >want this on DVD.

    Thanks jayembee, JazzHunter Steve, and gardibolt for your responses.

    And though details are now fuzzy, I seem to recall that back in the
    80s when I was building a classic movie library by obsessively taping
    from cable 24/7 on my first VCR machine ;-), my first taping of
    "Laura" from a commercial station ran about 3 or 4 minutes longer than
    the later uninterrupted upgrade taped from a premium channel as well
    as the VHS version I have.

    The rights issue you mention was brought up at the time, and I thought
    it was in regard to a piece of music (not the famous theme) used in
    the soundtrack which had been excised from all versions since.

    There may be an explanation posted somewhere out there but I haven't
    gone searching.

    Bob

    Bob Moke, Dec 10, 2003