Laugh - I'm such a sucker!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by aum, May 30, 2006.

  1. aum

    aum Guest

    Hi,

    I'm kicking myself after buying a set of new cartridges for my HP colour
    laserjet 2550L, which I paid $580 for.

    Black $123
    Colours (full) $146 * 3
    Total: $562

    and I've still got a drum which is down to 53% and will cost $263 to
    replace.

    For $580, the new printer comes with:

    Drum $263
    Black $123
    Colours (half) $146 * 3 / 2
    Total $596

    So, in effect, HP pays you $18 to take away an empty printer.

    Economically, it works out that the HP 2550 series printers are
    disposable, since the consumables cost less when purchased with a printer.

    Bummer too that nobody here seems to have refills or compatible cartridges
    for this printer.

    Worse yet, the printer's internal microcode has logic like:

    if (printer has just been powered on) {
    eat_lots_of_toner();
    }
    ..
    if (no pages have been printed for over 3 hours) {
    eat_lots_of_toner();
    }

    Why, oh why, didn't I just buy a new 2600 color laserjet
    and leave this one out for inorganic collection, or better yet, find a
    colour laser printer where the replacement consumables don't cost more
    than the printer itself?

    I've made some smart PC purchases in my time, but this definitely hasn't
    been one of them.

    Luckily it's a pretty decent printer overall, it works nicely in Linux and
    has met my needs well. I just hope the cartridge remanufacturers can come
    up with compatible cartridges before these new ones run out.

    --

    Cheers
    aum

    aum, May 30, 2006

  2. aum

    Jo Guest

    "aum" <> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm kicking myself after buying a set of new cartridges for my HP colour
    > laserjet 2550L, which I paid $580 for.
    >
    > Black $123
    > Colours (full) $146 * 3
    > Total: $562
    >
    > and I've still got a drum which is down to 53% and will cost $263 to
    > replace.
    >
    > For $580, the new printer comes with:
    >
    > Drum $263
    > Black $123
    > Colours (half) $146 * 3 / 2
    > Total $596
    >
    > So, in effect, HP pays you $18 to take away an empty printer.

    I had a similar situation with an old deskjet, it cost more to replace the
    ink than to replace it with a canon pictbridge scanner/printer which uses
    less ink and the replacement cartridges are both under $20

    Jo, May 30, 2006

  3. aum

    thingy Guest

    Jo wrote:
    > "aum" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I'm kicking myself after buying a set of new cartridges for my HP colour
    >>laserjet 2550L, which I paid $580 for.
    >>
    >> Black $123
    >> Colours (full) $146 * 3
    >> Total: $562
    >>
    >>and I've still got a drum which is down to 53% and will cost $263 to
    >>replace.
    >>
    >>For $580, the new printer comes with:
    >>
    >> Drum $263
    >> Black $123
    >> Colours (half) $146 * 3 / 2
    >> Total $596
    >>
    >>So, in effect, HP pays you $18 to take away an empty printer.
    >>

    > I had a similar situation with an old deskjet, it cost more to replace the
    > ink than to replace it with a canon pictbridge scanner/printer which uses
    > less ink and the replacement cartridges are both under $20

    yep, and Brother's are little better, I bought a HL1250 for $900, I need
    a new toner cartridge circa $250 about the price of a new printer these
    days.....

    P*ssed or what.....

    regards

    thing

    thingy, May 30, 2006
  4. aum

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    aum wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm kicking myself after buying a set of new cartridges for my HP
    > colour laserjet 2550L, which I paid $580 for.

    *snip*
    > Economically, it works out that the HP 2550 series printers are
    > disposable, since the consumables cost less when purchased with a
    > printer.

    *snip*
    > Why, oh why, didn't I just buy a new 2600 color laserjet
    > and leave this one out for inorganic collection, or better yet, find a
    > colour laser printer where the replacement consumables don't cost more
    > than the printer itself?

    I have a great HP printer at home (forget the model number) that's less than
    two years old, prints very good quality photos, reasonable scanner built in,
    and it's much the same, a full set of ink cartridges will cost me more than
    replacing the whole thing. It's a shame really.

    Nik Coughlin, May 30, 2006
  5. aum

    s.te.v.e. Guest

    aum wrote:

    > Economically, it works out that the HP 2550 series printers are
    > disposable, since the consumables cost less when purchased with a printer.

    Tells you there is FAR too much margin in the price of the consumables.

    s.te.v.e., May 30, 2006
  6. aum

    Guest

    Printer companies sell their models at a loss. They make the money from
    the ink/toner. A bit like console companies sell their units at a loss,
    but make the money from the games.

    aum wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm kicking myself after buying a set of new cartridges for my HP colour
    > laserjet 2550L, which I paid $580 for.
    >
    > Black $123
    > Colours (full) $146 * 3
    > Total: $562
    >
    > and I've still got a drum which is down to 53% and will cost $263 to
    > replace.
    >
    > For $580, the new printer comes with:
    >
    > Drum $263
    > Black $123
    > Colours (half) $146 * 3 / 2
    > Total $596
    >
    > So, in effect, HP pays you $18 to take away an empty printer.
    >
    > Economically, it works out that the HP 2550 series printers are
    > disposable, since the consumables cost less when purchased with a printer.
    >
    > Bummer too that nobody here seems to have refills or compatible cartridges
    > for this printer.
    >
    > Worse yet, the printer's internal microcode has logic like:
    >
    > if (printer has just been powered on) {
    > eat_lots_of_toner();
    > }
    > ..
    > if (no pages have been printed for over 3 hours) {
    > eat_lots_of_toner();
    > }
    >
    > Why, oh why, didn't I just buy a new 2600 color laserjet
    > and leave this one out for inorganic collection, or better yet, find a
    > colour laser printer where the replacement consumables don't cost more
    > than the printer itself?
    >
    > I've made some smart PC purchases in my time, but this definitely hasn't
    > been one of them.
    >
    > Luckily it's a pretty decent printer overall, it works nicely in Linux and
    > has met my needs well. I just hope the cartridge remanufacturers can come
    > up with compatible cartridges before these new ones run out.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Cheers
    > aum

    , May 30, 2006
  7. On Tue, 30 May 2006 16:45:01 +1200, thingy wrote:

    > yep, and Brother's are little better, I bought a HL1250 for $900, I need
    > a new toner cartridge circa $250 about the price of a new printer these
    > days.....

    The printer manufacturers make the most dosh from selling consumables.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 30, 2006
  8. aum

    aum Guest

    On Tue, 30 May 2006 19:57:59 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 May 2006 16:45:01 +1200, thingy wrote:
    >
    >> yep, and Brother's are little better, I bought a HL1250 for $900, I need
    >> a new toner cartridge circa $250 about the price of a new printer these
    >> days.....

    > The printer manufacturers make the most dosh from selling consumables.

    They need to make a fair bit to cover the cost of the R&D that's gone into
    making the cartridges difficult to clone.

    Cheers
    aum

    aum, May 30, 2006
  9. aum

    Peter Nield Guest

    "aum" <> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm kicking myself after buying a set of new cartridges for my HP colour
    > laserjet 2550L, which I paid $580 for.
    >
    > Black $123
    > Colours (full) $146 * 3
    > Total: $562
    >
    > and I've still got a drum which is down to 53% and will cost $263 to
    > replace.

    You can get a complete set of toners refills from
    http://www.inkredibleinks.com.au for A$300, (Say NZ$365) including shipping
    to NZ.

    (look at
    http://www.inkredibleinks.com.au/all.asp?brand=Toner Refills Color -
    A$75 for each toner, free shipping to NZ for orders on A$150)

    I'm not sure how good the refills are, though...

    btw, how many pages did you get out of the first set of toners? and were the
    toners cartridges full when the printer was new?

    At Warehouse Stationary, they've got the Xerox "Personal" color printer on
    special at the moment - and it's network ready...

    Peter Nield, May 30, 2006
  10. On 2006-05-30 19:57:59 +1200, Have A Nice Cup of Tea <> said:

    > On Tue, 30 May 2006 16:45:01 +1200, thingy wrote:
    >
    >> yep, and Brother's are little better, I bought a HL1250 for $900, I
    >> need a new toner cartridge circa $250 about the price of a new printer
    >> these days.....

    > The printer manufacturers make the most dosh from selling consumables.

    Except they're now pricing the consumable at such a high level that
    they cost more than the printer. As an example I'm looking at buying a
    Brother HL2040 laser printer for home use.

    Brother's recommended retail prices:

    printer $199.00
    toner $95.00
    drum $159.99

    It would never, ever be economical to replace the drum on that printer.
    By the time the drum is worn out you would be far better to toss the
    printer and for slightly more than the cost of a drum get a new printer
    with a new drum and new toner cartridge.

    Alternatively maybe I should buy a few of these printers, sell off the
    toner cartridges and drums, and throw the printers away. I should be
    able to make a nice profit doing that.

    --
    * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac

    Roger Johnstone, May 30, 2006
  11. aum

    a_l_p Guest

    Ping Jo, was Re: Laugh - I'm such a sucker!

    Hi Jo,

    This post of yours turned up just fine for me. Have you changed anything since
    earlier on nz.general?

    A L P

    a_l_p, May 30, 2006
  12. aum

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2006-05-30, s.te.v.e. <s.te.v.e> wrote:
    > aum wrote:
    >
    >> Economically, it works out that the HP 2550 series printers are
    >> disposable, since the consumables cost less when purchased with a printer.

    > Tells you there is FAR too much margin in the price of the consumables.

    In 1997 I purchased 500ml of black ink for my printer from "the house of ink"

    the pricing was something like this.

    20ml was $15 50ml was $25 100 was 35 , 200 was $50 and 500 was $65

    I've replaced the print head once (it was leaking, that day k-mart had 15%
    of everything :) ) I've still got half of the ink left.

    I don't use the printer a whole lot, maybe 15 pages in a busy week.
    once a month or so the tank runs dry and I get my hands dirty syringing some
    more ink into the padding (best done in a stainless steel sink)

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, May 30, 2006
  13. aum

    MarkH Guest

    aum <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm kicking myself after buying a set of new cartridges for my HP
    > colour laserjet 2550L, which I paid $580 for.
    >
    > Black $123
    > Colours (full) $146 * 3
    > Total: $562
    >
    > and I've still got a drum which is down to 53% and will cost $263 to
    > replace.
    >
    > For $580, the new printer comes with:
    >
    > Drum $263
    > Black $123
    > Colours (half) $146 * 3 / 2
    > Total $596

    <snip>
    > Luckily it's a pretty decent printer overall, it works nicely in Linux
    > and has met my needs well. I just hope the cartridge remanufacturers
    > can come up with compatible cartridges before these new ones run out.

    The purchase of new cartridges does not look too bad, at least you have 3
    full colour toners.

    Once you wear out the drum though, that's the time to bin the printer and
    buy a new one.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, May 31, 2006
  14. aum

    aum Guest

    On Wed, 31 May 2006 00:29:22 +0000, MarkH wrote:

    > The purchase of new cartridges does not look too bad, at least you have 3
    > full colour toners.
    >
    > Once you wear out the drum though, that's the time to bin the printer and
    > buy a new one.

    Agreed.

    Also, I strongly suspect that the drum is also used for storage of toner
    which gets 'eaten' during the frequent (and unsolicited) 'colour
    calibration procedures' the printer executes every couple of hours, and
    when it's turned on.

    --

    Cheers
    aum

    aum, May 31, 2006
  15. aum

    KewlKiwi Guest

    KewlKiwi, May 31, 2006
  16. On Tue, 30 May 2006 23:22:28 +1200, Roger Johnstone wrote:

    >> The printer manufacturers make the most dosh from selling consumables.

    > Except they're now pricing the consumable at such a high level that
    > they cost more than the printer.

    I think you'll find that you've just said the same as what I said.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 31, 2006
  17. aum

    MarkH Guest

    aum <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 31 May 2006 00:29:22 +0000, MarkH wrote:
    >
    >> The purchase of new cartridges does not look too bad, at least you
    >> have 3 full colour toners.
    >>
    >> Once you wear out the drum though, that's the time to bin the printer
    >> and buy a new one.

    > Agreed.
    >
    > Also, I strongly suspect that the drum is also used for storage of
    > toner which gets 'eaten' during the frequent (and unsolicited) 'colour
    > calibration procedures' the printer executes every couple of hours,
    > and when it's turned on.

    That sounds like a big con. I have noticed that almost all inkjet printers
    now perform a jet cleaning procedure on a regular basis which uses ink -
    also a big con. I had a customer that bought a fax that was also a colour
    inkjet printer, they never printed in colour but ran out of all three
    colour inks - the printer refused to work even with black until the empty
    cartridges were replaced.

    At the moment I am sticking with my HP Deskjet 895Cxi printer that I bought
    in 1999, the cost/page is not good but it does not waste ink to clean the
    heads and does not seem to clog even after several weeks of not being used.

    For the best value for money at higher print volumes I think the B&W laser
    printers are the way to go - though I would check toner prices and drum
    life before buying one.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, May 31, 2006
  18. aum

    Chris Lim Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 May 2006 23:22:28 +1200, Roger Johnstone wrote:
    > > Except they're now pricing the consumable at such a high level that
    > > they cost more than the printer.

    > I think you'll find that you've just said the same as what I said.

    I think Roger's point was that since the consumables cost more than a
    new printer, it would be better for a consumer to buy a new printer
    instead of replacing the ink/toner.

    Surely that can't be ecomical for the printer manufacturers, or is it
    that people haven't figured this out yet and still buy the ink/toners?

    Chris Lim, May 31, 2006
  19. aum

    Kent Smith Guest

    "MarkH" <> wrote in message

    > Once you wear out the drum though, that's the time to bin the printer and
    > buy a new one.

    Also, you should get a few bucks for it back from trademe if you sell it as
    parts.

    Wonder if cars will get that way. $5000 for a brand new V8 sedan with a
    tank of gas. Petrol $100 per L :)

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, May 31, 2006
  20. aum

    Jo Guest

    Re: Ping Jo, was Re: Laugh - I'm such a sucker!

    "a_l_p" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Jo,
    >
    > This post of yours turned up just fine for me. Have you changed anything
    > since earlier on nz.general?
    >
    > A L P

    It was my side, the kids had been playing fish tycoon on my notebook and had
    been adjusting the time to cheat, since I still use a paper diary and a cell
    phone is for calls I didnt notice.

    Jo, Jun 1, 2006