    Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 20:42:12 +0000
    From: Westpac New Zealand <>
    Subject: Official information from Westpac New Zealand
    Sender: Westpac New Zealand <>
    To: Craigshore <>

    Dear valued Customer!

    As part of our continuing commitment to
    protect your account and to reduce the instance
    of fraud on our website, we are undertaking a
    period review of our member accounts. You are
    requested to visit our site by following the link
    given below. This is required for us to continue
    to offer you a safe and risk free environment to
    send and receive money online, and maintain the
    Westpac New Zealand Experience. After verification
    you will be redirected to the Westpac New Zealand
    home page. Thank you.
    https://sec.westpactrust.co.nz/IOLB/newSession

    We appreciate your business. It's truly our pleasure to serve you.

    Westpac New Zealand Customer Care

    Craig Shore, Jul 6, 2004

  2. Craig Shore

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > I got yet another of those emails pretending to be from Westpac yesterday,

    but
    > this one was targeted at New Zealand Westpac users.

    <snip>

    Personally, I think anyone that is stupid enough to fall for these scams
    deserves to loose everything they've got. I mean, it's not like it hasn't
    been overly publicised already. Maybe, these same stupid fools would like a
    hook-up with the Nigerian bank account dudes? Or, maybe I could sell them my
    shares in the Auckland harbour bridge.

    Just proves Darwin's theory to be true!

    RJ out.

    Ryan Jacobs, Jul 6, 2004

  3. Craig Shore

    David Butler Guest

    Especially if you are not a westpac customer like me, we have received this
    email quite a few times lately.

    David Butler, Jul 6, 2004
  4. Craig Shore

    TomV Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:27:56 +1200, Craig Shore
    <> wrote:

    >I got yet another of those emails pretending to be from Westpac yesterday, but
    >this one was targeted at New Zealand Westpac users.
    >
    >I thought i'd click on the link to see what the fake www site looked like, and
    >was quite suprised to see that it automatically redirected to an official
    >Westpac site informing you of the fraud and telling you to call their 0800
    >number if you had disclosed your information.

    Bloody good. Excellent to see how quickly it was dealt with.

    ....tom

    TomV, Jul 6, 2004
  5. Craig Shore

    JB Guest

    > "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > > I got yet another of those emails pretending to be from Westpac

    yesterday,
    > but
    > > this one was targeted at New Zealand Westpac users.
    > >

    > <snip>
    >
    > Personally, I think anyone that is stupid enough to fall for these scams
    > deserves to loose everything they've got. I mean, it's not like it hasn't
    > been overly publicised already. Maybe, these same stupid fools would like

    > hook-up with the Nigerian bank account dudes? Or, maybe I could sell them

    my
    > shares in the Auckland harbour bridge.
    >
    > Just proves Darwin's theory to be true!
    >

    > RJ out.

    Don't forget that many people are "NEW" users of the WWW / E-mail etc. They
    have yet to benefit from the accumulated knowledge that many of us already
    have about Internet Safety, scams, viruses spyware etc. Perhaps computer
    sales companies should emark on an education program for all new PC
    purchasers, especially for more mature people - Kids get a lot of this ICT
    education in schools now, and are very becoming savvy - I spend a lot of
    time at my parents friends' places giving them tuition in PC security etc.
    Doesn't take a lot to get them to realize that a few simple steps can make
    you safe and secure on the net.

    Cheers

    JB

    JB, Jul 6, 2004
  6. Craig Shore

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "JB" <_REMOVE> wrote in message

    > "Ryan Jacobs" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > > > I got yet another of those emails pretending to be from Westpac

    > yesterday,
    > > but
    > > > this one was targeted at New Zealand Westpac users.
    > > >

    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > Personally, I think anyone that is stupid enough to fall for these scams
    > > deserves to loose everything they've got. I mean, it's not like it

    hasn't
    > > been overly publicised already. Maybe, these same stupid fools would

    like
    > > hook-up with the Nigerian bank account dudes? Or, maybe I could sell

    them
    > my
    > > shares in the Auckland harbour bridge.
    > >
    > > Just proves Darwin's theory to be true!
    > >

    > > RJ out.
    > >

    > Don't forget that many people are "NEW" users of the WWW / E-mail etc.

    They
    > have yet to benefit from the accumulated knowledge that many of us already
    > have about Internet Safety, scams, viruses spyware etc. Perhaps computer
    > sales companies should emark on an education program for all new PC
    > purchasers, especially for more mature people - Kids get a lot of this ICT
    > education in schools now, and are very becoming savvy - I spend a lot of
    > time at my parents friends' places giving them tuition in PC security etc.
    > Doesn't take a lot to get them to realize that a few simple steps can make
    > you safe and secure on the net.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > JB

    Fair point, but, as I stated earlier - "it's not like it hasn't been overly
    publicised".

    These "newbies" read newspapers/magazines? They watch TV? They listen to the
    radio? They listen to their friends who got scammed?

    Come on, stop making excuses for the terminally stupid. I for one am getting
    sick of hearing the news reports of yet another idiot bleeting about how
    they got scammed. FFS, there's still people getting sucked in by the
    Nigerian bank account scam - some 20 years AFTER the first reported case.

    The old adage - "if it sounds to good to be true - it probably isn't true"
    seems to desert idiots when the greed of $$$$$ takes control.

    BTW, my share of the Auckland harbour bridge is now on the market. I have a
    35% ownership and I've decided to sell it for a mere $1000 - any takers?

    RJ out.

    Ryan Jacobs, Jul 6, 2004
  7. Craig Shore

    Max Burke Guest

    > Craig Shore scribbled:
    > I got yet another of those emails pretending to be from Westpac
    > yesterday, but this one was targeted at New Zealand Westpac users.

    > I thought i'd click on the link to see what the fake www site looked
    > like, and was quite suprised to see that it automatically redirected
    > to an official Westpac site informing you of the fraud and telling
    > you to call their 0800 number if you had disclosed your information.

    I trust you have checked to make sure the original website didn't download
    any 'nasties' on it's way to the legit website?

    (1) MODERATE: Multiple Browsers Frame Injection Vulnerability
    Affected:
    Internet Explorer versions 5, 5.01 and 6
    Opera version 7.5x
    Mozilla version 1.6
    Mozilla Firebird versions 0.7 and 0.8
    Netscape version 7.1
    Safari version 1.2.2

    browsers including the widely used Internet Explorer. This vulnerability
    permits a malicious website to inject a "frame" into the browser window
    of another website. For example, the content from
    http://www.malicious.com can be loaded into another window displaying
    the content from http://www.msdn.com. The flaw can be exploited by a
    malicious webpage to spoof its identity as a trusted site. This may lead
    to stealing sensitive user information such as passwords, or further
    compromise of the user system. Proof-of-concept exploit has been
    publicly posted.

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Jul 6, 2004
  8. Craig Shore

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Craig Shore said the following on 6/07/2004 20:27:

    > I got yet another of those emails pretending to be from Westpac yesterday, but
    > this one was targeted at New Zealand Westpac users.
    >
    > I thought i'd click on the link to see what the fake www site looked like, and
    > was quite suprised to see that it automatically redirected to an official
    > Westpac site informing you of the fraud and telling you to call their 0800
    > number if you had disclosed your information.
    >
    > Westpac site
    > http://www.westpac.co.nz/olcontent/olcontent.nsf/Content/Probable fraud
    >
    > Original link
    > http://222.96.156.154/net/.o/wz/bnak.html
    >
    > Original email...
    >

    > Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 20:42:12 +0000
    > From: Westpac New Zealand <>
    > Subject: Official information from Westpac New Zealand
    > Sender: Westpac New Zealand <>
    > To: Craigshore <>
    >
    > Dear valued Customer!
    >
    > As part of our continuing commitment to
    > protect your account and to reduce the instance
    > of fraud on our website, we are undertaking a
    > period review of our member accounts. You are
    > requested to visit our site by following the link
    > given below. This is required for us to continue
    > to offer you a safe and risk free environment to
    > send and receive money online, and maintain the
    > Westpac New Zealand Experience. After verification
    > you will be redirected to the Westpac New Zealand
    > home page. Thank you.
    > https://sec.westpactrust.co.nz/IOLB/newSession
    >
    > We appreciate your business. It's truly our pleasure to serve you.
    >
    > Westpac New Zealand Customer Care

    Had to laugh this am, my spam box had three westpac scammers in it all
    addressedn to my old websites spam trap addresses. They are using a spammers
    rom of addresses

    Collector_NZ, Jul 6, 2004
  9. > Personally, I think anyone that is stupid enough to fall for these
    > scams deserves to loose everything they've got. I mean, it's not like
    > it hasn't been overly publicised already. Maybe, these same stupid
    > fools would like a hook-up with the Nigerian bank account dudes? Or,
    > maybe I could sell them my shares in the Auckland harbour bridge.

    So, following your logic (people who don't know deserve what they get),
    anyone who doesn't know personal self defence is entitled to get the shit
    beaten out of them ?

    Have a computer = must not be scammed ?? Yeah, right.

    The people who are targetted by these scams generally do NOT know about
    newsgroups (unlike us computer nerdy types), so you might find it requires a
    different level of thinking.

    Oh and my example of personal self defence - surely, because you walk around
    and mingle with the public, you MUST know self defence right ? A mawashi
    geri might change your mind.

    Millhouse: "We started out liek Romeo and Juliet but it ended in tragedy."

    Waylon Smithers, Jul 6, 2004
  10. In article <SovGc.6685$>,
    "Max Burke" <> wrote:

    > I trust you have checked to make sure the original website didn't download
    > any 'nasties' on it's way to the legit website?
    >

    > (1) MODERATE: Multiple Browsers Frame Injection Vulnerability
    > Affected:
    > Internet Explorer versions 5, 5.01 and 6
    > Opera version 7.5x
    > Mozilla version 1.6
    > Mozilla Firebird versions 0.7 and 0.8
    > Netscape version 7.1
    > Safari version 1.2.2

    This would be an interesting twist on it,
    the scammers send you to your real bank's site,
    with a knife in your back....

    J.Random Luser, Jul 6, 2004
  11. Craig Shore

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:38:22 +1200, Ryan Jacobs wrote:

    > Just proves Darwin's theory to be true!

    Are you sure?

    If Darwin was right, all the idiots should've died out by now :)

    But they seem to breed faster than the smarter ones.

    (Cue comment pointing out that society has overridden evolution...)

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jul 6, 2004
  12. Craig Shore

    theseus Guest

    "AD." <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:38:22 +1200, Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    >
    > > Just proves Darwin's theory to be true!

    > Are you sure?
    >
    > If Darwin was right, all the idiots should've died out by now :)
    >
    > But they seem to breed faster than the smarter ones.
    >
    > (Cue comment pointing out that society has overridden evolution...)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    OTOH, unsuccessful memes (like giving your password to everyone so you don't
    have to remember it) tend to die out by themselves.
    The die off is asymtotic though because there is always a residual number of
    diehard contrarian idiots.

    theseus, Jul 6, 2004