latest virus going the rounds

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Jim Watt, Feb 26, 2005.

  1. Jim Watt

    Jim Watt Guest

    I see theres one today claiming to be from the FBI and including a
    'checked for virus's line customised to your XYZ named ISP

    <quote>
    Dear Sir/Madam,

    we have logged your IP-address on more than 40 illegal Websites.

    Important: Please answer our questions!
    The list of questions are attached.

    Yours faithfully,
    M. John Stellford

    ++-++ Federal Bureau of Investigation -FBI-
    ++-++ 935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Room 2130
    ++-++ Washington, DC 20535
    ++-++ (202) 324-3000

    *-* AntiVirus: Found to be clean
    *-* "XYZ" Anti-Virus Service
    *-* http://www.xyz.net
    </unquote>

    Anyone know what its called? mine are all defused by a real AV
    program. Hope they take the time to trace the author.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Feb 26, 2005

  2. Jim Watt

    Ken Russell Guest

    Apart from a news report, I can't see it mentioned anywhere else, let alone
    in virus alerts.

    --
    Ken Russell

    Remove yourhat to reply by e-mail
    ..

    Ken Russell, Feb 26, 2005

  3. "Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    > I see theres one today claiming to be from the FBI and including a
    > 'checked for virus's line customised to your XYZ named ISP
    >
    > <quote>
    > Dear Sir/Madam,
    >
    > we have logged your IP-address on more than 40 illegal Websites.

    > Anyone know what its called? mine are all defused by a real AV
    > program. Hope they take the time to trace the author.

    Yadda, yadda ;o)

    I might be "lucky", but these all started about six weeks ago. All of mine
    have also an attachment (didn't check to see /which/ virus, though)

    All are, of course, bogus.

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Feb 27, 2005
  4. Jim Watt

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:28:48 GMT, "Hairy One Kenobi"
    <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

    <snip>

    >All are, of course, bogus.

    No, really :)

    However its quite well done.

    I even got an original variation on the Nigerian letter last week,
    but the six year old kid with cancer collecting cards seems to
    have passed on.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Feb 28, 2005
  5. "Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:28:48 GMT, "Hairy One Kenobi"
    > <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > >All are, of course, bogus.

    > No, really :)
    >
    > However its quite well done.
    >
    > I even got an original variation on the Nigerian letter last week,
    > but the six year old kid with cancer collecting cards seems to
    > have passed on.

    Had a similar one only this morning - a 419 for a cancer victim seeking to
    move $1m....

    H1K

    Hairy One Kenobi, Feb 28, 2005
  6. Jim Watt

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 14:44:43 GMT, "Hairy One Kenobi"
    <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

    >"Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:28:48 GMT, "Hairy One Kenobi"
    >> <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> >All are, of course, bogus.

    >> No, really :)
    >>
    >> However its quite well done.
    >>
    >> I even got an original variation on the Nigerian letter last week,
    >> but the six year old kid with cancer collecting cards seems to
    >> have passed on.

    >Had a similar one only this morning - a 419 for a cancer victim seeking to
    >move $1m....

    I meant the 'craig shergold' variety;

    But this was the creative one I liked:

    "My name is Michael Doherty i am an American soldier, I am serving in
    the military of the 1st Armoured Division in Iraq, we have just been
    posted to leave Iraq and go back to Germany.

    I am now in Kuwait at the mean time, I and my superior moved funds
    belonging to Saddam Hussein, the total is $25,000,000.00 (Twenty Five
    million US dollars) this money is being kept safe in a security
    company."

    However, the point about the original spam is the act of impersonating
    the FBI is actually illegal in the US.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Feb 28, 2005
  7. Jim Watt

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 02:22:28 +0100, Jim Watt <_way>
    wrote:

    <snip>

    At the risk of being accused of replying to myself ...

    http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_fbi_virus.htm

    describes the virus and the FBI reaction.

    However, it also indicates the speed of propagation of
    these things, as the (genuine) FBI warning about the hoax
    was dated 22nd. and the localised sample was dated 25th.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Feb 28, 2005