Latest scam - a warning

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ragnar, Sep 23, 2010.

  1. Ragnar

    Ragnar Guest

    I had a call from 'John Smit' (he couldn't even pronounce his own alleged
    surname!) from 'Windows Support Services Department'. He said that they had
    detected a lot of error messages coming from my computer, implying that they
    were viruses or malware of some unspecified sort.

    He wanted me to go to the computer and he would help me look for the files
    responsible but I wasn't buying it and said I did not believe him, at which
    he hung up.

    Suprisingly his number was not withheld. If you want to contact him try
    0425 9982 750 (I am in the UK).

    I Googled for similar experiences and found that some people had paid for
    their expensive file-cleaning service (£185 UK) and been fleeced. Apparently
    they start by telling you to run Event Viewer and then expressing alarm at
    the huge number of Errors or Warnings.

    Afterwards I thought - hang on, how did 'John Smit' know my phone number? NO
    ONE whom I have ever contacted via email or internet has that information.

    I am used to email / internet scams but this is the first time on the
    telephone AFAIK.

    Be watchful!
    R.
    Ragnar, Sep 23, 2010

  2. Ragnar

    housetrained Guest

    Man walks into an off-licence booted and suited. He asks for a cheap bottle
    of vodka, pays and leaves. Within seconds he is back saying it's no good his
    wife insists on the best. The proprietor swaps over the bottles and charges
    him the difference. A few days later a regular customer comes into the shop
    complaining that the bottle of vodka he bought yesterday was just water.
    Shopkeepers beware!
    --
    John the West Ham fan

    <><

    housetrained, Sep 23, 2010

  3. "Ragnar" <> wrote in message
    >I had a call from 'John Smit' (he couldn't even pronounce his own alleged
    >surname!) from 'Windows Support Services Department'. He said that they
    >had detected a lot of error messages coming from my computer, implying that
    >they were viruses or malware of some unspecified sort.

    NOBODY WILL EVER report to you that you have a problem that they will fix.

    Well, that's not entirely true, scammers will do that but nobody of any
    repute will do it.
    Jeff Strickland, Sep 23, 2010
  4. Ragnar

    Baron Guest

    Ragnar Inscribed thus:

    > I had a call from 'John Smit' (he couldn't even pronounce his own
    > alleged
    > surname!) from 'Windows Support Services Department'. He said that
    > they had detected a lot of error messages coming from my computer,
    > implying that they were viruses or malware of some unspecified sort.
    >
    > He wanted me to go to the computer and he would help me look for the
    > files responsible but I wasn't buying it and said I did not believe
    > him, at which he hung up.
    >
    > Suprisingly his number was not withheld. If you want to contact him
    > try 0425 9982 750 (I am in the UK).
    >
    > I Googled for similar experiences and found that some people had paid
    > for their expensive file-cleaning service (£185 UK) and been fleeced.
    > Apparently they start by telling you to run Event Viewer and then
    > expressing alarm at the huge number of Errors or Warnings.
    >
    > Afterwards I thought - hang on, how did 'John Smit' know my phone
    > number? NO ONE whom I have ever contacted via email or internet has
    > that information.
    >
    > I am used to email / internet scams but this is the first time on the
    > telephone AFAIK.
    >
    > Be watchful!
    > R.

    Agreed ! I've had some of my clients scammed like that.
    They actually don't know what OS you are running. One of my clients
    said it was quite amusing when he got a call. He played along until
    the guy on the phone realised he didn't use M$. He reckons that they
    got his info from "Facebook".

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Sep 23, 2010
  5. Ragnar

    Baron Guest

    Jon Vincent Inscribed thus:

    > On 9/23/2010 10:06 AM, Ragnar wrote:
    >> I had a call from 'John Smit' (he couldn't even pronounce his own
    >> alleged
    >> surname!) from 'Windows Support Services Department'. He said that
    >> they had detected a lot of error messages coming from my computer,
    >> implying that they were viruses or malware of some unspecified sort.
    >>
    >> He wanted me to go to the computer and he would help me look for the
    >> files responsible but I wasn't buying it and said I did not believe
    >> him, at which he hung up.
    >>
    >> Suprisingly his number was not withheld. If you want to contact him
    >> try 0425 9982 750 (I am in the UK).
    >>
    >> I Googled for similar experiences and found that some people had paid
    >> for their expensive file-cleaning service (£185 UK) and been fleeced.
    >> Apparently they start by telling you to run Event Viewer and then
    >> expressing alarm at the huge number of Errors or Warnings.
    >>
    >> Afterwards I thought - hang on, how did 'John Smit' know my phone
    >> number? NO ONE whom I have ever contacted via email or internet has
    >> that information.
    >>
    >> I am used to email / internet scams but this is the first time on the
    >> telephone AFAIK.
    >>
    >> Be watchful!
    >> R.
    >>

    > "Windows Support Services Department"? I got that same call. 5 Minutes
    > after getting the call, I had the guy's address, and the exact person
    > he was. I don't remember the name, but he will be behind bars soon.
    >
    > --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

    Popular scam ! I've had about half a dozen clients report getting the
    same call. One had her credit card maxed.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Dec 4, 2010