latest Picture of Supercomputer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by bloggging, Aug 25, 2007.

  1. bloggging

    bloggging Guest

    bloggging, Aug 25, 2007

  2. bloggging

    Brian Guest

    So does a super computer run windows, mac, linux, or what??

    How does it compute and do tasks? Are there special programs just for super
    computers like there are programs made for windows and programs made for
    mac?

    Brian, Aug 26, 2007

  3. On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 00:18:37 -1000, "Brian" <>
    wrote:

    >So does a super computer run windows, mac, linux, or what??

    The individual processors usually will have there own variety of UNIX.

    >How does it compute and do tasks? Are there special programs just for super
    >computers like there are programs made for windows and programs made for
    >mac?

    Look up MIMD on the web. You will find lots of information on how
    current supercomputers work. Some supercomputers have been built to do
    specific tasks so that could be described as a "special program".

    The term supercomputer has been around since the days of tabulators.
    It is really just a name for whatever is the current fastest computing
    machine rather than a certain type of computer. TOP500 is a list of
    the currently fastest machines.

    Steve

    --
    Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

    http://www.easynn.com

    Steve Wolstenholme, Aug 26, 2007
  4. It was on, or about, Sun, 26 Aug 2007 00:18:37 -1000, that as I was
    halfway through a large jam doughnut, Brian wrote:

    > So does a super computer run windows, mac, linux, or what??

    Linux. From http://www.top500.org/stats

    The top 500 supercomputers:-

    Linux - 389 - 77.8%
    Unix - 60 - 12%
    Mixed - 42 - 8.4%
    BSD based - 4 - 0.8%
    MAC OS - 3 - 0.06%
    M$ Windows - 2 - 0.04%

    The fastest is the BlueGene/L System development by IBM and DOE’s
    National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) and installed at DOE’s
    Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, Calif., & running
    linux.

    FYI the windoze ones are the *slowest*.

    > How does it compute and do tasks? Are there special programs just for
    > super computers like there are programs made for windows and programs
    > made for mac?
    >
    > "bloggging" <> wrote in message
    >>A supercomputer is a mighty computer used for very complex tasks. The
    >> fastest supercomputers can carry out trillions of calculations per
    >> second....
    >> http://cometo.know.googlepages.com/a_picture_of_supercomputer

    --
    Surely you are not comparing the non-existent Linux (at that time) with
    98? - Hadron aka Hadron Quark, Hans Schneider, & Damian O'Leary

    William Poaster, Aug 26, 2007
  5. William Poaster wrote:
    > It was on, or about, Sun, 26 Aug 2007 00:18:37 -1000, that as I was
    > halfway through a large jam doughnut, Brian wrote:
    >
    >> So does a super computer run windows, mac, linux, or what??

    > Linux. From http://www.top500.org/stats
    >
    > The top 500 supercomputers:-
    >
    > Linux - 389 - 77.8%
    > Unix - 60 - 12%
    > Mixed - 42 - 8.4%
    > BSD based - 4 - 0.8%
    > MAC OS - 3 - 0.06%
    > M$ Windows - 2 - 0.04%
    >
    > The fastest is the BlueGene/L System development by IBM and DOE’s
    > National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) and installed at DOE’s
    > Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, Calif., & running
    > linux.
    >
    > FYI the windoze ones are the *slowest*.

    But why does this guy's pictures of a "supercomputer" look more like a
    wine rack or DVD stand?

    =?UTF-8?B?UsO0Z8Oqcg==?=, Aug 26, 2007
  6. It was on, or about, Sun, 26 Aug 2007 12:26:45 -0400, that as I was
    halfway through a large jam doughnut, Rôgêr wrote:

    > William Poaster wrote:
    >> It was on, or about, Sun, 26 Aug 2007 00:18:37 -1000, that as I was
    >> halfway through a large jam doughnut, Brian wrote:
    >>
    >>> So does a super computer run windows, mac, linux, or what??

    >> Linux. From http://www.top500.org/stats
    >>
    >> The top 500 supercomputers:-
    >>
    >> Linux - 389 - 77.8%
    >> Unix - 60 - 12%
    >> Mixed - 42 - 8.4%
    >> BSD based - 4 - 0.8%
    >> MAC OS - 3 - 0.06%
    >> M$ Windows - 2 - 0.04%
    >>
    >> The fastest is the BlueGene/L System development by IBM and DOE’s
    >> National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) and installed at DOE’s
    >> Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, Calif., & running
    >> linux.
    >>
    >> FYI the windoze ones are the *slowest*.

    > But why does this guy's pictures of a "supercomputer" look more like a
    > wine rack or DVD stand?

    Here is one disguised as a double deck bus!
    http://bus-photos.fpic.co.uk/p15448337.html

    William Poaster, Aug 26, 2007
  7. bloggging

    thanatoid Guest

    =?UTF-8?B?UsO0Z8Oqcg==?= <> wrote in

    > William Poaster wrote:
    >> It was on, or about, Sun, 26 Aug 2007 00:18:37 -1000,
    >> that as I was halfway through a large jam doughnut, Brian
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> So does a super computer run windows, mac, linux, or
    >>> what??

    >> Linux. From http://www.top500.org/stats
    >>
    >> The top 500 supercomputers:-
    >>
    >> Linux - 389 - 77.8%
    >> Unix - 60 - 12%
    >> Mixed - 42 - 8.4%
    >> BSD based - 4 - 0.8%
    >> MAC OS - 3 - 0.06%
    >> M$ Windows - 2 - 0.04%
    >>
    >> The fastest is the BlueGene/L System development by IBM
    >> and DOE’s National Nuclear Security Administration
    >> (NNSA) and installed at DOE’s Lawrence Livermore
    >> National Laboratory in Livermore, Calif., & running linux.
    >>
    >> FYI the windoze ones are the *slowest*.

    > But why does this guy's pictures of a "supercomputer" look
    > more like a wine rack or DVD stand?

    Those things are about 7 feet tall. Design is VERY different in
    and out. Also, if I'm not mistaken, that is a very old picture
    of a Cray supercomputer from about 20 or more years ago,
    although the new ones look just as "strange".

    --
    "This is not nuclear. This is just a test."
    - illyria

    thanatoid, Aug 26, 2007
  8. bloggging

    Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >William Poaster wrote:
    >> It was on, or about, Sun, 26 Aug 2007 00:18:37 -1000, that as I was
    >> halfway through a large jam doughnut, Brian wrote:

    http://cometo.know.googlepages.com/a_picture_of_supercomputer

    >>> So does a super computer run windows, mac, linux, or what??

    Linux. From http://www.top500.org/stats

    >But why does this guy's pictures of a "supercomputer" look more like a
    >wine rack or DVD stand?

    Never seen a Cray computer?

    I thought it was a round couch when I first saw one
    http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~comp201/07-spring/lectures/lec02/cray.jpg
    (this one has sections in plexiglass, working ones were covered).

    I used to talk AmigA on the phone with a guy who maintained one. He
    had a special switch on the phone, so when he talked it would filter
    out the refrigeration unit's noise.

    --

    hummingbird
    http://www.dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=562519

    , Aug 26, 2007
  9. bloggging

    thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > I thought it was a round couch when I first saw one

    I think the couches (VERY nice looking overall BTW) were
    thoughtfully provided by the designers so people could have a
    sandwich or a coffee while waiting for the world's fastest
    supercomputer to do something... ;-)

    Someone should get a bunch of old Crays and convert the boxes
    into super stereo speaker towers WITH the couches left as they
    were. Now THAT would be cool.

    thanatoid, Aug 26, 2007
  10. bloggging

    Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote:

    > wrote in
    >
    ><SNIP>
    >
    >> I thought it was a round couch when I first saw one

    >I think the couches (VERY nice looking overall BTW) were
    >thoughtfully provided by the designers so people could have a
    >sandwich or a coffee while waiting for the world's fastest
    >supercomputer to do something... ;-)
    >
    >Someone should get a bunch of old Crays and convert the boxes
    >into super stereo speaker towers WITH the couches left as they
    >were. Now THAT would be cool.

    I had a box that a super computer came in :)
    It was a very nice box, plywood, hinges at the top, so the front
    flipped up. - the box was made so the computer could roll out.

    Don't know anything about the computer, other than it cost a couple
    million $'s, but I was going to turn the box into a tree house for
    the kids, couldn't get it over the fence so. ended up using it as
    storage.

    --

    Ohio flood aftermath
    http://sevenels.net/flood/07flood.html