Latest Paper from OSDL on SCO claims

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    steve, Feb 11, 2004

  2. steve

    Peter Guest

    steve wrote:
    > The Open Source Development Labs (where Linus Torvalds works) today
    > released an updated paper refuting SCO Group's as yet completely
    > unsubstantiated claims that Linux improperly contains unauthorised SCO
    > source code.
    > http://www.osdl.org/docs/osdl_eben_moglen_third_statement.pdf

    Doesn't look like the SCO licences are selling very well ...
    "The SCO Group has not sold a single intellectual property licence in
    Australia or New Zealand since they became available last month.
    Despite a strong warning from The SCO Group that Linux users who do not buy
    a licence can expect a tap on the shoulder with the Unix developer
    reserving the right to seek redress through the courts, Australian
    organisations have chosen not to act."
    http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=206151166&eid=-50

    And SCO _still_ hasn't been able to point to any actual infringing code in
    Linux. Surely this sorry saga must end soon.

    Peter

    Peter, Feb 11, 2004

  3. steve

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > Doesn't look like the SCO licences are selling very well ...
    > "The SCO Group has not sold a single intellectual property licence in
    > Australia or New Zealand since they became available last month.
    > Despite a strong warning from The SCO Group that Linux users who do not buy
    > a licence can expect a tap on the shoulder with the Unix developer
    > reserving the right to seek redress through the courts, Australian
    > organisations have chosen not to act."

    That's because the SCO web site is still down. It must be really hurting
    business.

    Roger_Nickel, Feb 11, 2004
  4. steve

    steve Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> The Open Source Development Labs (where Linus Torvalds works) today
    >> released an updated paper refuting SCO Group's as yet completely
    >> unsubstantiated claims that Linux improperly contains unauthorised SCO
    >> source code.
    >> http://www.osdl.org/docs/osdl_eben_moglen_third_statement.pdf

    > Doesn't look like the SCO licences are selling very well ...
    > "The SCO Group has not sold a single intellectual property licence in
    > Australia or New Zealand since they became available last month.
    > Despite a strong warning from The SCO Group that Linux users who do not
    > buy a licence can expect a tap on the shoulder with the Unix developer
    > reserving the right to seek redress through the courts, Australian
    > organisations have chosen not to act."
    > http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=206151166&eid=-50
    >
    > And SCO _still_ hasn't been able to point to any actual infringing code in
    > Linux. Surely this sorry saga must end soon.
    >
    > Peter

    If they were truly interested in protecting intellectual proprty, they would
    have presented their evidence, sought an injuction and it would have been
    over ages ago.

    As it is, they have no proof...and are instead being funded to disrupt and -
    if possible - hinder the adoption of Linux.

    The aim is probably to eat up the clock until Microsoft is able to release
    Longhorn in 2006.

    steve, Feb 11, 2004
  5. On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:43:23 +1300, Peter wrote:

    > Doesn't look like the SCO licences are selling very well ...
    > "The SCO Group has not sold a single intellectual property licence in
    > Australia or New Zealand since they became available last month.

    This is despite them claiming that several companies contacted them to
    check on terms, etc.

    I suspect it was more likely that they called to laugh in SCO's face.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Feb 11, 2004
  6. steve

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <4UnWb.23494$>,
    says...
    > Peter wrote:
    >
    > > steve wrote:
    > >> The Open Source Development Labs (where Linus Torvalds works) today
    > >> released an updated paper refuting SCO Group's as yet completely
    > >> unsubstantiated claims that Linux improperly contains unauthorised SCO
    > >> source code.
    > >> http://www.osdl.org/docs/osdl_eben_moglen_third_statement.pdf

    > > Doesn't look like the SCO licences are selling very well ...
    > > "The SCO Group has not sold a single intellectual property licence in
    > > Australia or New Zealand since they became available last month.
    > > Despite a strong warning from The SCO Group that Linux users who do not
    > > buy a licence can expect a tap on the shoulder with the Unix developer
    > > reserving the right to seek redress through the courts, Australian
    > > organisations have chosen not to act."
    > > http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=206151166&eid=-50
    > >
    > > And SCO _still_ hasn't been able to point to any actual infringing code in
    > > Linux. Surely this sorry saga must end soon.
    > >
    > > Peter

    > If they were truly interested in protecting intellectual proprty, they would
    > have presented their evidence, sought an injuction and it would have been
    > over ages ago.
    >
    > As it is, they have no proof...and are instead being funded to disrupt and -
    > if possible - hinder the adoption of Linux.

    No proof of that either

    > The aim is probably to eat up the clock until Microsoft is able to release
    > Longhorn in 2006.

    Bulldust, it hasn't slowed Linux development one iota

    Mainlander, Feb 12, 2004