    From:
    Doctor Richards <>
    Add to Contacts

    I'm getting ready to catch a flight to Boston and couldn't pass this
    jewel up. What a piece of work Scottie. You just keep putting one foot
    in your mouth and the other in your ass. What a jerk.

    Doc

    --- On Sat, 11/28/09, Scottie_L <> wrote:

    From: Scottie_L <>
    Subject: [California_Jam] Latest on nation's hottest Super 8s
    Date: Saturday, November 28, 2009, 7:40 AM

    The 4 second clip- (WAY TOO LONG)

    Thank you for reading and for trying to help. (WHAT ARE YOU TALKING
    ABOUT)So what is the content of the 4 second clip?(THAT'S ALL YOU
    DESERVE) It's just a closeup of me doing an Egyptian dance (SOUNDS A BIT
    FOO-FOO TO ME) and someone with a still camera walking right in front of
    me (HOW EXCITING) from off camera-left to off-camera
    right.(EARTHSHAKING) That's it! (THAT'S ENOUGH) And you know the film is
    the summer of 1973 at our 200 acre summer sleep-away camp.

    Some of the other clips go on for nearly a minute.(UNBELIEVABLE) Still
    others show me wearing denim and other shorts. (HOT PANTS I'M SURE)

    There are lots of boys dancing- (I BET THERE WERE)

    Flailing their arms...I lived on boy's campus not girls! (I TRULY
    BELIEVE YOU) Lol. Both campuses were equally as large. There are a lot
    of campers jumping for joy (HURRAY!! HURRAY!!) on the 1973 film.

    Everyone likes to ham it up for a camera, (WHAT ELSE WAS PHOTOGRAPHED) I
    guess. Especially a movie
    camera. Don't forget I was the only one there with one.(I BET YOU HAD A
    GREAT TIME FILMING DANCING YOUNG BOYS WITH THEIR ARMS FLAILING IN THEIR
    SHORT-SHORTS)

    Does anyone know what usages are going to come out of these films? (I
    WOULD BET...NOTHING) I'd rather have usages than sausages. (I WOULDN'T
    USE THAT TERM IF I WAS YOU)

    Some of them are adorable. ( OH YEAH BABY..JUST ADORABLE) There's
    awlways lots of usages for adorable children,(I BET YOU WOULD KNOW ALL
    ABOUT THAT KIND OF STUFF) perhaps even moreso for 1973 children. (IS
    THAT A YEAR OR HOW MANY YOUNG BOYS YOU HAVE..."FILMED") In the scene I'm
    watching now (WATCH IT...BOTH HAND ABOVE THE TABLE) I appear with two
    other counselors facing the camera. (INCREDIBLE..JUST INCREDIBLE) In the
    beginning the one on the left starts talking, and you can make out the
    words and body language. (YEAH BABY...CHECK OUT THE BODY LANGUAGE) He's
    just joking when he says to the other counselor besides me, "I'm gonna
    punch you" (NOT SO SURE ABOUT THAT BEING A JOKE. MAYBE HE THOUGHT YOU
    LIKE THAT KIND OF RUFF STUFF) and balls his fist into an uppercut. But
    you gotta understand he's doing it to Alan M, (WHAT ELSE DID THEY DO TO
    ALAN) who is the Counselor God. I'm second in command to Alan (I GUESS
    THAT MAKES YOU THE ONE ON THE BOTTOM) as far as camp lore goes. I'm
    standing in the middle between Alan and Jeff H, (A HUMAN SANDWICH!) and
    me and Alan are sort of making fun of redhead Jeff's slight overbite.
    (REAL COOL) Kids are cruel, man. We're 15 y.o. in the scene. (ONCE
    AGAIN..WHO CARES)

    Awlso appearing in the scene is a group of excited campers. (MAYBE THAT
    WAS JUST A GUN IN THEIR PANTS, BUT I BET YOU CHECKED IT OUT) There's one
    particular camper dancing there with Alan (I HEAR YA BABY..DANCE WITH
    ME..NICE AND CLOSE) who is particularly adorable, (JEALOUS?) I think.
    And he's hanging on Alan's arm. (NOW I'M SURE YOUR JEALOUS) Then he uses
    Alan's arm as a catapult and jumps up high right in front of the
    camera.(FANTASTIC. WHAT A MOVE)

    What I'm wondering about is, (WE ALL WONDER ABOUT YOU, AND YOUR FRIENDS)
    what commercial usage does this film has? (NONE WHAT SO EVER. BUT I'M
    SURE YOU CAN CALL IT ART AND SHARE THE FILM IN PRIVATE WITH SOME OF YOUR
    MORALLY QUESTIONABLE FRIENDS) Please keep in mind it's pretty brilliant
    footage (WRONG) as far as the lighting and the format goes. DigiBeta is
    still the way to go today, awlthough these Super 8s were transferred to
    their current format in July of 2001. My research (MADE UP INFORMATION
    FOR SURE) is telling me that lighting was a particlurly important
    element in the making of these telecines. Thankfully I had good to
    excellent lighting for everything, particularly these outdoor summer
    camp shots. (WOULDN'T WANT TO HAVE MISSED ALL OF THE GOOD PARTS)
    Remember in
    awl the shooting I did, (WHO CARES) I never shot at night. (I THOUGHT
    THAT'S WHEN YOU COCKROACHES CAME OUT) Which in hindsight may have been a
    good thing to do.

    I think I had a light, and it was a very strong light. (PICK UP ON ALL
    THE DETAILS, FOR SURE) For most of the indoor scenes. (DARK SMOKE FILLED
    ROOMS) I didn't shoot at awl indoors at the camp. If I had a light I
    certainly didn't bring it with me.

    There's no sound though, damn! (WANTED TO HEAR A LITTLE MOANING OR
    SOMETHING?) There was no way to accrue sound back "in the day," At least
    I as the filmmaker (WRONG. YOU WERE A TEENAGE BOY WITH HOT PANTS AND A
    CAMERA)) didn't know how to capture sound, except what I did less than a
    year later at the 1974 California Jam (WRONG AGAIN. YOU WERE NEVER
    THERE) to capture and create nearly "the only sound that matters" at
    that Gig. (IN YOUR MIND) And I don't want or need a membership card. (I
    THINK YOU CARY A NAMBLA CARD..RIGHT)Don't worry. The sound will be
    compensated for during the commercial releases. (NEVER HAPPEN) You won't
    know a thing about it. (WE NEVER DO)

    You know what I think I am going to do? (NOBODY CARES) I am going to
    search youtube for "Super 8." (BLACK AND WHITE "ART FILMS")I can tell
    you right now 99% of youtube's Super 8 films, and I think there are less
    than 200...I think it's a slim to none chance none of them are bumped up
    to DigiBeta. You can't believe how much of a difference that makes. (WHO
    CARES) It has increased the quality of the finished product by at least
    1000% percent. (WHO CARES..YOUR LIVING IN THE PAST)

    Heck, (GEE GOLLY WIZ) I may even appear on the cover of every filmmaking
    magazine in the world with these films.. (MAYBE "BOYS LIFE UNCOVERED" OR
    SOMETHING OF THAT VANE)

    Yours truly,

    Scott
    California_Jam
    --
    "Scott Lifshine is the biggest joke on the Internet" -Desk Rabbit
    ®o|o®
    Wooff.e2z, Nov 30, 2009