    device. How do I identify which IOS supports an ENET WIC?

    thanks

    Mark

    Mark Brown, Apr 27, 2004

  2. "Mark Brown" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    > I'm getting lost going round and round in circles. The Cisco software
    > configurator doesn't seem to support the 1720 series.
    >
    > The current IOS is c1700-o3y-mz.121-5.yb4. I thought that
    > c1700-o3y-mz.122-23a would provide the same options, but when the second
    > file is installed the router boots correctly but there is no Ethernet0
    > device. How do I identify which IOS supports an ENET WIC?

    Try have look at this:
    http://shor.ter.dk/806086050

    The requirement is 12.2(2)XJ or later.

    --
    Best regards
    Martin Kiefer

    Martin Kiefer, Apr 27, 2004

  3. Mark Brown

    L C Guest

    Hello guys,

    I am having the same issue a few posts ago. I have version IOS (tm) C1700
    Software (C1700-SY-M), Version 12.2(16a), RELEASE SOFTWARE
    (fc2)
    and I can't get my Enet to work either. Isn't 12.2(16) newer than 12.2(4)

    Larry C

    L C, Apr 27, 2004
  4. Mark Brown

    Jerry Bacon Guest

    "Mark Brown" <> wrote in news:408dfb44$0
    $47049$:

    > I'm getting lost going round and round in circles. The Cisco software
    > configurator doesn't seem to support the 1720 series.
    >
    > The current IOS is c1700-o3y-mz.121-5.yb4. I thought that
    > c1700-o3y-mz.122-23a would provide the same options, but when the second
    > file is installed the router boots correctly but there is no Ethernet0
    > device. How do I identify which IOS supports an ENET WIC?

    I had a similar problem, and after some research at Cisco and some help
    from this group found that c1700-y-mz.122-11.T10.bin is the one you want.
    It actually supports two WIC-1ENET cards. If you need additional features,
    there should be other variants of the same base code.

    Jerry Bacon, Apr 27, 2004
  5. "L C" <> writes:
    >I am having the same issue a few posts ago. I have version IOS (tm) C1700
    >Software (C1700-SY-M), Version 12.2(16a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
    > and I can't get my Enet to work either. Isn't 12.2(16) newer than 12.2(4)

    >> The requirement is 12.2(2)XJ or later.

    Cisco doesn't have a linear train of code release. It branches all the
    time, which is why when you want to search for features and supported
    items, you really need to get familure with Feature Navigator big time.
    (www.cisco.com/go/fn).

    In this case, you are running the train 12.2(16a) with no letters, but the
    requirement is to be running the XJ branch train.

    No, 12.2(16a) doesn't automaticaly include anything in the XJ train.
    But 12.3(x) probably does, but you'd have to check the FN.

    Whenever Cisco introduces new features, or new hardware, they
    generally branch off a new train to support the new whatever, while
    they continue to fix bugs on the other trains. This leads to much more
    stable code releases overall, as bugs introduced by new features/new hardware
    can be fixed and isolated in their own trains, while the mainline
    trains keep stable.

    Thus, 12.2(16a) while might be newer than 12.2(2)XJ, doesn't have the
    feature sets built into the XJ train. They are different code
    branches, and if you need an XJ branch, then having 12.2(16a) is not
    sufficient.

    For the extreme opposite case, look at companies like Ascend. Their
    code release schedule was extremely linear. Every new major release had a
    new feature or new hardware support. Every new release had major bugs
    that didn't necessarily get fixed because they were too busy putting
    in new features. You'd have to go up and down the code tree
    trying out releases to live with the bugs that release had and
    minimize the bugs in the feature sets that you really wanted to use.
    --
    Doug McIntyre
    Network Engineer/Jack of All Trades

    Doug McIntyre, Apr 27, 2004