    Any help will be appreciated.
    Best,

    Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago
    MarkZimmerman, Dec 13, 2004

  2. MarkZimmerman

    unclejr Guest

    MarkZimmerman wrote:
    > I've enjoyed the first 2 but was wondering about the latest one

    that's on DVD.
    It's the best movie of the three so far IMHO.

    HTH,

    -Junior
    unclejr, Dec 13, 2004

  3. MarkZimmerman

    Rich Clark Guest

    "MarkZimmerman" <> wrote in message
    > I've enjoyed the first 2 but was wondering about the latest one that's on
    > DVD.

    I think it's easily the best of the three. But see what all the critics
    thought at www.rottentomatoes.com.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Dec 13, 2004
  4. MarkZimmerman

    Mike Kohary Guest

    MarkZimmerman wrote:
    > I've enjoyed the first 2 but was wondering about the latest one
    > that's on DVD.

    In my opinion, it's the best of the three.

    Mike Kohary, Dec 13, 2004
  5. MarkZimmerman

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Mike Kohary, Dec 13, 2004
  6. MarkZimmerman

    Biz Guest

    have you been reading the books? I believe most people that read the books
    and watch the movies think the 3rd is the bst so far.

    Biz, Dec 13, 2004
  7. MarkZimmerman

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    > I've enjoyed the first 2 but was wondering about the latest one that's
    > on DVD.

    Of the movies, it's the only of the three that's any good.
    Joshua Zyber, Dec 13, 2004
  8. MarkZimmerman

    kaydigi Guest

    > I've enjoyed the first 2 but was wondering about the latest one that's on
    > DVD.
    >
    > Any help will be appreciated.
    > Best,
    >
    > Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

    Solid, but the left out 2 important things from the book. But if you never
    read the book then don't worry.
    kaydigi, Dec 13, 2004
  9. unclejr wrote:

    > MarkZimmerman wrote:
    >
    >>I've enjoyed the first 2 but was wondering about the latest one

    > that's on DVD.
    > It's the best movie of the three so far IMHO.

    It's the one that started the idea of "What would the HP's look like if
    Chris Columbus WASN'T directing them?", that Warner plans to follow for
    the next two--
    Among other answers, we get a more streamlined plot, more atmosphere,
    and a pacing that tries to be a movie and *doesn't* worry about
    archiving every single word and scene from the book...

    (Should get interesting from here on, as we now start to get into the
    600-700 page books from here, that Warner has decided to condense into
    single films each--
    Don't know how that'll affect Book 4, but Book 5 might finally be
    actually watchable, with a few tons less baggage....)

    Derek Janssen (a Herculean task, nonetheless)
    Derek Janssen, Dec 13, 2004
  10. MarkZimmerman

    Awesoman Guest

    >I've enjoyed the first 2 but was wondering about the latest one that's on
    >DVD.
    >
    >Any help will be appreciated.
    >Best,
    >
    >Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

    Read the book instead.

    Awesoman's Awesome Page of Awesomeness!!!
    http://members.aol.com/awesoman/
    Because good websites suck.
    Awesoman, Dec 13, 2004
  11. MarkZimmerman

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    kaydigi wrote:
    > "MarkZimmerman" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I've enjoyed the first 2 but was wondering about the latest one that's on
    >>DVD.
    >>
    >>Any help will be appreciated.
    >>Best,
    >>
    >>Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

    > Solid, but the left out 2 important things from the book. But if you never
    > read the book then don't worry.

    What two important things were left out?

    dick
    -- imho, the quiddich stuff wasn't that important.
    Dick Sidbury, Dec 13, 2004
  12. MarkZimmerman

    kaydigi Guest

    Re: Latest Harry Potter any good? (spoilers)

    "Dick Sidbury" <> wrote in message
    > kaydigi wrote:
    >> "MarkZimmerman" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I've enjoyed the first 2 but was wondering about the latest one that's on
    >>>DVD.
    >>>
    >>>Any help will be appreciated.
    >>>Best,
    >>>
    >>>Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

    >> Solid, but the left out 2 important things from the book. But if you
    >> never read the book then don't worry.

    > What two important things were left out?
    >
    > dick
    > -- imho, the quiddich stuff wasn't that important.

    In the book Harry got a permission slip to go to honey dukes next year since
    Sirius (sp?) is a legal guardian instead of the firebolt.

    The book went in to greater detail explaining his fathers involement with
    the map and Harry's Protonum (sp?) spell. It also gave a little bit of more
    insight about Harry's father and relationships between Lupin and Snape. The
    whole scene when Snape came crashing in the house took about 4 minutes in
    movie time. While the book it was about 3 chapters. So much backstory was
    left out.

    I don't like the POA at all. I wished I would have watched it first then
    read the book. I hope GOF isn't butchered. It's my favorite book out of all
    of them.

    It's been a while since I read POA maybe someone else will be able to
    explain it better.
    kaydigi, Dec 13, 2004
  13. MarkZimmerman

    Mike Jackson Guest

    >> Solid, but the left out 2 important things from the book. But if you
    >> never read the book then don't worry.

    > What two important things were left out?

    The most egregious omission was not explaining who the makers of the map
    were. I supposed someone could read between the lines and figure out who
    Prongs, Padfoot, etc. were, but it really should've been explained.

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com
    Mike Jackson, Dec 13, 2004
  14. MarkZimmerman

    Mike Jackson Guest

    Re: Latest Harry Potter any good? (spoilers)

    > In the book Harry got a permission slip to go to honey dukes next year
    > since Sirius (sp?) is a legal guardian instead of the firebolt.

    I thought the Firebolt came much earlier in the book than the end, and are
    you sure about the permission slip? I know he went to town in "Goblet of
    Fire," but Black didn't come right off as Harry's guardian that soon after
    his escape, did he?

    > I don't like the POA at all. I wished I would have watched it first then
    > read the book. I hope GOF isn't butchered. It's my favorite book out of
    > all of them.

    With a book that long, it's inevitable that some things are going to be cut.
    I'd much rather see the Quidditch World Cup be cut than anything else later
    on...

    Mike Jackson, Dec 13, 2004
  15. MarkZimmerman

    "Mike Jackson" <-dog.net> wrote in message
    >> In the book Harry got a permission slip to go to honey dukes next year
    >> since Sirius (sp?) is a legal guardian instead of the firebolt.

    > I thought the Firebolt came much earlier in the book than the end, and are
    > you sure about the permission slip? I know he went to town in "Goblet of
    > Fire," but Black didn't come right off as Harry's guardian that soon after
    > his escape, did he?

    I'm about 95% sure that Harry got a permission slip at the end of the book.
    On the way back from the haunted house Sirius told Harry to come live with
    him next summer and he wouldn't have to stay with the Dursley's. Harry got
    so excited but then wormtail escaped and ruined everything

    >> I don't like the POA at all. I wished I would have watched it first then
    >> read the book. I hope GOF isn't butchered. It's my favorite book out of
    >> all of them.

    > With a book that long, it's inevitable that some things are going to be
    > cut. I'd much rather see the Quidditch World Cup be cut than anything else
    > later on...

    I think the Dursley scene has been dropped from GOF, I hope not since they
    become so important in Book 5.
    kaydigi, Dec 13, 2004
  16. MarkZimmerman

    kaydigi Guest

    Re: Latest Harry Potter any good? (spoilers)

    > (And like I said, their new plot-economy drive can only *help* Mira
    > Nair's version of Book 5--
    > "Order of the Phoenix" was just TOO MUCH of a bad thing, and could use a
    > little creative slimming down and de-repetizing to just the bare plot
    > highlights...This time, might even look as if something happened in it!)

    As long as the last battle scene and character development remains fully
    intact i'm all for trimming the rest.
    kaydigi, Dec 13, 2004
  17. MarkZimmerman

    Mark McGee Guest

    When I saw it initially, I hated it because of the differences in a lot of
    the things around the school, but the more I think about it, and watching it
    again, I realize that this version is closest to what Ms. Rowling's vision
    of Harry Potter is. Hopefully all of the remaining films will keep this
    vision. Of course, with the books starting to be much darker with Book 3,
    it's only natural that the films will be, too.

    Mark McGee, Dec 13, 2004
  18. Re: Latest Harry Potter any good? (spoilers)

    Mike Jackson wrote:

    >>I don't like the POA at all. I wished I would have watched it first then
    >>read the book. I hope GOF isn't butchered. It's my favorite book out of
    >>all of them.

    > With a book that long, it's inevitable that some things are going to be cut.
    > I'd much rather see the Quidditch World Cup be cut than anything else later
    > on...

    Warner's original idea was to do a two-part movie, "Matrix" and "Kill
    Bill" style--
    What happened to that idea?...Well, "Matrix" and "Kill Bill". :)

    Now they're seeing what they CAN do with trimming Book 4 down to
    two-and-a-half-hour fighting weight, and it's another creative step--
    Between keeping the QWC and the Dursleys scenes, the Cup's already won out.

    (And like I said, their new plot-economy drive can only *help* Mira
    Nair's version of Book 5--
    "Order of the Phoenix" was just TOO MUCH of a bad thing, and could use a
    little creative slimming down and de-repetizing to just the bare plot
    highlights...This time, might even look as if something happened in it!)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Dec 13, 2004
  19. MarkZimmerman

    Jay Moseley Guest

    Re: Latest Harry Potter any good? (spoilers)

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:06:59 -0800, "Mike Jackson"
    <-dog.net> wrote:

    >> In the book Harry got a permission slip to go to honey dukes next year
    >> since Sirius (sp?) is a legal guardian instead of the firebolt.

    >I thought the Firebolt came much earlier in the book than the end, and are
    >you sure about the permission slip? I know he went to town in "Goblet of
    >Fire," but Black didn't come right off as Harry's guardian that soon after
    >his escape, did he?

    The Firebolt was delivered in the book right after Harry is injured
    and his broom was destroyed. Not only that, in the book Harry had seen
    the new firebolt in a display window in Diagon Alley during the
    extended period of time he is staying alone in London before his
    friends arrive and they all head back to Hogwarts. The plot element of
    the gift Firebolt extends for many chapters as it is "confiscated" as
    a possible danger, resulting in a tiff between Hermione and Ron.

    Not only did Harry receive a permission slip from Sirius at the end of
    the book, it was delivered by a small owl that becomes Ron's new pet,
    now that Scabbers is out of the picture. How do they plan to explain
    the owl in the coming movies?
    Jay Moseley, Dec 13, 2004
  20. MarkZimmerman

    George Guest

    The movie is great with lots of wonderful special effects. I wish they'd
    used the old set for the school, though. The "new" Hogwarts looks nothing
    like the old, and Hagrid's house has been moved to the side of a huge bare
    (scottish) hillside. The dark forest is nowhere to be seen. This is a bit
    confusing if you don't realise that there is a completely new director, and
    I think it interferes with the continuity of the series, sort of like
    turning on a Star Wars movie and finding the storm troopers dressed in
    purple. Also the kids are all running around the school wearing jeans,
    which just wouldn't happen in an English public school.

    If you lay aside the authenticity, however, it is a great movie.
    George

    George, Dec 13, 2004