    DVD writer standard

    Any help would be much appreciated

    Julian

    Julian Glass, Sep 26, 2004

  2. Julian Glass

    JK Guest

    Julian Glass wrote:

    > I'm preparing to buy a new PC. I'm not lookking for a killer spec but I want
    > to ensure I maximise my upgrade path so:

    How much extra are you willing to pay for that? For example, an Athlon 64
    3000+ (socket 754) with a motherboard is only around $240. If you want
    to go with a socket 939 one, it will cost you at least $300. Is it worth
    spending
    $60 more? Perhaps next time you want to upgrade(if it is a few years from now?)
    there will be much higher performing motherboards, or socket 939 won't
    be the latest socket. Usually when it is time to replace the cpu it is also
    a good time to get a new motherboard.

    JK, Sep 26, 2004

  3. Julian Glass

    chilimac Guest

    You said that you are preparing to buy a new computer. Are you
    upgrading what you have ?

    Everyone seems to have their own opinions about what is the best and
    most stable. I research review sites for at least a couple of weeks
    before I order the first component. My suggestion to chack out the
    following, then decide what you want. After finding out what you want
    go to www.pricewatch.com and start checking out the prices.

    Some of these sites recommend components if you want a value or an
    extreme computer.

    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/

    http://www.gamingin3d.com/

    http://www2.sharkyextreme.com/

    http://www.tomshardware.com/

    http://anandtech.com/

    http://www.technicalcorner.com/

    This is only a partial list of review sites. My advice, get the
    most stable motherboad that you can for the processor you choose.

    processor AMD 64 or P-4

    motherboard depends on the processor

    Graphics cards AGP or PCI express

    ATI or Nvidia

    Decide what your budget is, you can build a $1,000 or a $4,000 system.
    Do you plan to game, if not you can build a much cheaper computer.

    Good Luck
    Chilimac

    chilimac, Sep 26, 2004