Latest Gallery Addition

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Vindrew, Dec 18, 2003.

  1. Vindrew

    Vindrew Guest

    Vindrew, Dec 18, 2003

  2. Vindrew

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:38:49 -0500, "Vindrew" <>
    wrote:

    >Latest picture added to my gallery for your kind review.
    >http://www.pbase.com/image/24248372.jpg
    >
    >~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    >
    >Please visit my photography gallery:
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/vincentvalle
    >
    >Vincent Valle
    >Proud Supporter of pbase.com
    >
    >~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

    Nice picture. To me, still lifes like this are a bit of a
    cliche---nonetheless, it is very well done
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".
    Mark Herring, Dec 18, 2003

  3. Vindrew

    Joe Guest

    Joe, Dec 18, 2003
  4. Vindrew

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that Mark Herring <> stated that:

    >On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:38:49 -0500, "Vindrew" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Latest picture added to my gallery for your kind review.
    >>http://www.pbase.com/image/24248372.jpg

    Dunno about 'kind', but I'll give it a shot. Technically, the shot looks
    fine to me, but IMO, it has lots of artistic problems:
    (1) IMO, the red background clashes horribly with most of the fruit.
    (2) The sideboard or table is very distracting. Try putting it on
    something bigger, & perhaps use a nice tablecloth.
    (3) The lack of variety in the fruit makes for a fairly boring set of
    colours. How about adding some bananas & purple grapes, to give it some
    some colour?
    (4) The tray badly needs polishing. Bright silver & the resulting
    reflections would probably add interest to the picture as well.

    Lionel, Dec 19, 2003
  5. "Vindrew" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Latest picture added to my gallery for your kind review.
    > http://www.pbase.com/image/24248372.jpg
    >
    > ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    >
    > Please visit my photography gallery:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/vincentvalle
    >
    > Vincent Valle
    > Proud Supporter of pbase.com
    >
    > ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

    Afraid to confront people with your camera? Why so many of people's
    backsides? Be brave!
    Michael Scarpitti, Dec 19, 2003
  6. With apologies, I don't like this picture much, for the following
    reasons:

    o The lighting is a bit bland. I think single light source images
    have to be stronger in order to be effective. I would have
    preferred an additional light source or reflector to provide
    some fill in the shadow areas to the left side of the image.

    o The exposure isn't optimal -- the highlights on the fruit are
    a bit washed out, and there is no detail in the shadow
    areas.

    o I'm not sure that the placement of the light source is
    optimal either.

    o Unlike other viewers, I don't mind the red background,
    but it is flat & uninteresting. I would have preferred some
    more things going on, like some draped fabric or the
    corner of a picture or something.

    o The composition is totally random and is not very interesting
    to me. I think a more careful arrangement of objects would
    have been called for. There's no "story" here, meaning that
    I get no sense of space or lifestyle or ambience.

    o Your choice of lenses is a bit questionable: the top tier of
    the servicing piece is photographed edge on, but the
    bottom tier is a bit from above and appears more oval than
    the top tier. I would think that if you are going to photograph
    that serving dish edge on, I would have used a telephoto
    lens from a greater distance.

    Still life studies look simple & easy but in reality are very
    difficult. It's difficult to arrange your objects in a meaningful
    manner. There is no excuse for not having precise lighting &
    composition.

    I most definitely applaud your interest & willingness to try, and I
    encourage you to continue your explorations. Most especially, I
    congratulate you on your willingness to obtain feedback from strangers
    like me (who may or may not be qualified). Please continue. My
    suggestions:

    o Take your time in arranging your composition.
    o Carefully craft your lighting. Light & shadows are
    important in suggesting a third dimension to your
    objects, but every shadow should be complimented
    with a highlight or an edge.

    Carry on.

    This Guy Here, Dec 19, 2003
  7. Vindrew

    R Guest

    I feel that the image has been over-sharpened (as can be seen around the
    very top of the tray) and I'm finding it very difficult to see where it's
    actually in focus?
    Just my viewpoint, but you did ask for comments!
    Richard

    R, Dec 19, 2003
  8. Vindrew

    casey Guest

    I wish I could get critiques like this on my nature pictures.

    casey, Dec 21, 2003
  9. Vindrew

    Vindrew Guest

    Thanks all for your feedback. I need these constructive, if not blunt,
    commentary. I appreciate your time!

    Vincent

    Vindrew, Dec 23, 2003
  10. Vindrew

    Vindrew Guest

    Casey-
    Have you tried posting a picture? I took a chance and as a beginner, I
    welcome this wonderful feedback. It is like taking my own private course.
    Thanks again everyone! I will be taking this guidance and coming back with
    more if you can bare it! ;o)

    Vincent Valle

    Vindrew, Dec 23, 2003
  11. Vindrew

    Vindrew Guest

    Michael-
    Point taken, please tell me more about how you confront your subjects. I am
    open to suggestions.

    Vincent Valle

    Vindrew, Dec 23, 2003
  12. "Vindrew" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Michael-
    > Point taken, please tell me more about how you confront your subjects. I am
    > open to suggestions.
    >
    > Vincent Valle

    You can either put on your 'photpgrapher' personna and make pictures
    regardless of the feelings of others, as I often have done, or you can
    put the feelings of others first and get less desireable photos. It's
    a personal choice. How valuable are the stranger's feelings? Are you
    ever going to see this person again? This is a balance that must be
    calculated anew each time you take pictures. You have to adjust your
    senstivity level at times, depending on the situation.
    Michael Scarpitti, Dec 23, 2003
  13. Vindrew

    Mystic Guest

    Michael Scarpitti wrote:

    > "Vindrew" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Michael-
    > > Point taken, please tell me more about how you confront your subjects. I am
    > > open to suggestions.
    > >
    > > Vincent Valle
    > >

    > You can either put on your 'photpgrapher' personna and make pictures
    > regardless of the feelings of others, as I often have done, or you can
    > put the feelings of others first and get less desireable photos. It's
    > a personal choice. How valuable are the stranger's feelings? Are you
    > ever going to see this person again? This is a balance that must be
    > calculated anew each time you take pictures. You have to adjust your
    > senstivity level at times, depending on the situation.

    The best way to confront your subject is with honesty. If you want to take a picture of someone,
    and not have it candid, just ask them. Most will be flattered some will say no. If you tell them
    WHY you want to take thier photo it will help. If you have taken a candid photo and the subject of
    the photo objects let them see the final result and let them decide if it is good or not. Give
    them your opinion.
    Mystic, Dec 25, 2003