Latest from the Format Wars

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by John Savard, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. John Savard

    John Savard Guest

    I see that Toshiba's HD-DVD format has been the one approved by the
    DVD Consortium; today's Register has the news.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/

    This is a competitor to Sony's Blu-Ray format; however, the version of
    Toshiba's format that was approved also uses blue laser technology for
    a 15 GB disk capacity, rather than being on existing DVD media.

    An earlier news story there noted that a company in China, On2,
    developed its own HD-DVD type format, but based on a new codec, VP2,
    claimed to have performance even better than Windows Media 9, recently
    noted in this group as having capabilities beyond MPEG-4, and MPEG-4,
    as is well known, compresses considerably better than MPEG-2, enough
    to make HDTV on a DVD-sized disk at least appear plausible. This
    format is termed EVD, for Enhanced Video Disk.

    John Savard

    John Savard, Nov 28, 2003

  2. John Savard

    Mark Spatny Guest

    John Savard, says...
    > I see that Toshiba's HD-DVD format has been the one approved by the
    > DVD Consortium; today's Register has the news.

    Thanks for the update. Looking forward to seeing some movies on my HDTV
    soon.

    Mark Spatny, Nov 30, 2003