    With modern zoom lenses, this is THE single easiest thing to
    do to improve results.

    Doug McDonald
    Doug McDonald, Aug 21, 2006

  2. Doug McDonald wrote:
    > The most infuriating (to me) lens aberration is lateral chromatic. With
    > digital cameras which send files to a computer, removing the obvious
    > color blur is a near trivial
    > operation. But I don't see any easy way to do in with any common
    > software, like Photoshop. Is there software ... preferably freeware, or
    > a Photoshop plugin, that does this?
    >
    > Ideally it would have a table of values of correction for
    > each of your lenses, and for each zoom lens, the focal length you used.
    > The files my camera produces have this
    > info (lens name and focal length used) in them for the camera maker's
    > lenses.
    >
    > I can and will reinvent the wheel of necessary myself.
    >
    > With modern zoom lenses, this is THE single easiest thing to
    > do to improve results.

    Could you kindly post a URL to a photo which clearly demonstrates this
    aberration?

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Aug 21, 2006

  3. John McWilliams wrote:
    > Doug McDonald wrote:
    >> The most infuriating (to me) lens aberration is lateral chromatic.
    >> With digital cameras which send files to a computer, removing the
    >> obvious color blur is a near trivial
    >> operation. But I don't see any easy way to do in with any common
    >> software, like Photoshop. Is there software ... preferably freeware,
    >> or a Photoshop plugin, that does this?
    >>
    >> Ideally it would have a table of values of correction for
    >> each of your lenses, and for each zoom lens, the focal length you
    >> used. The files my camera produces have this
    >> info (lens name and focal length used) in them for the camera maker's
    >> lenses.
    >>
    >> I can and will reinvent the wheel of necessary myself.
    >>
    >> With modern zoom lenses, this is THE single easiest thing to
    >> do to improve results.
    >>

    > Could you kindly post a URL to a photo which clearly demonstrates this
    > aberration?

    certainly:

    http://polaris.scs.uiuc.edu/~mcdonald/IMG_0104b.JPG

    capitalization matters

    This is made by a Canon 30D camera and the cheapie 18-55
    zoom that comes with it, at 18 mm. It was saved as raw (CR2)
    format, and converted to jpg with NO sharpness enhancement
    and a modest contrast enhancement.

    Look ... at high magnification ... at the line at the bottom
    of the (portrait orientation) page. Note the pink (magenta)
    and green fringes. This is the effect. Note that these don't
    appear at the center. If you rescale the green image so that
    it is slightly (perhaps 0.1%) smaller, the fringes would go
    away and you would have a much nicer picture.

    Doug McDonald
    Doug McDonald, Aug 21, 2006
  4. Doug McDonald

    bugbear Guest

    Doug McDonald wrote:
    >> Could you kindly post a URL to a photo which clearly demonstrates this
    >> aberration?
    >>

    > certainly:
    >
    > http://polaris.scs.uiuc.edu/~mcdonald/IMG_0104b.JPG
    >
    > capitalization matters
    >
    > This is made by a Canon 30D camera and the cheapie 18-55
    > zoom that comes with it, at 18 mm. It was saved as raw (CR2)
    > format, and converted to jpg with NO sharpness enhancement
    > and a modest contrast enhancement.
    >
    > Look ... at high magnification ... at the line at the bottom of the
    > (portrait orientation) page. Note the pink (magenta)
    > and green fringes. This is the effect. Note that these don't appear at
    > the center. If you rescale the green image so that it is slightly
    > (perhaps 0.1%) smaller, the fringes would go away and you would have a
    > much nicer picture.

    http://www.camerasunderwater.info/optics/lenscorrect.html
    http://www.panotools.info/mediawiki/index.php?title=Lens_correction_model

    BugBear
    bugbear, Aug 21, 2006
  5. Doug McDonald

    bugbear Guest

  6. bugbear wrote:

    > http://www.camerasunderwater.info/optics/lenscorrect.html

    Thanks! That's what one needs for Photoshop.

    Works fine.

    Still, it would be good to have a standalone program that
    gets the necessary paramaters from the data file and
    a file with parameters for your lenses.

    The camera/lens people should supply this. In fact,
    it should be an automatic part of their processing!

    Doug McDonald
    Doug McDonald, Aug 21, 2006
  7. Doug McDonald

    ColinD Guest

    Doug McDonald wrote:
    > The most infuriating (to me) lens aberration is lateral chromatic. With
    > digital cameras which send files to a computer, removing the obvious
    > color blur is a near trivial
    > operation. But I don't see any easy way to do in with any common
    > software, like Photoshop. Is there software ... preferably freeware, or
    > a Photoshop plugin, that does this?
    >
    > Ideally it would have a table of values of correction for
    > each of your lenses, and for each zoom lens, the focal length you used.
    > The files my camera produces have this
    > info (lens name and focal length used) in them for the camera maker's
    > lenses.
    >
    > I can and will reinvent the wheel of necessary myself.
    >
    > With modern zoom lenses, this is THE single easiest thing to
    > do to improve results.
    >
    > Doug McDonald

    Well, there is, but it's not free. Try http://www.dxo.com

    Having said that, DxO reduces and nearly eliminates not only CA, but
    barrel/pincushion and other lens distortions almost universal with zoom
    lenses. You can set it to maximize highlight recovery if the shot is
    partly blown, among a lot of other features.

    It has correction files for many slr lenses and camera bodies, and a few
    high-end compacts as well.

    It will correct direct from RAW or jpg files, outputting the results as
    either jpg, tif, or DNG files, your choice, and it runs automatically.
    Just point it at your source folder, name your destination folder, set
    up your required parameters, and hit the go button.

    I use it with my 300D and 17-85 USM IS lens, with incredible results.
    The 17-85 by itself isn't too hot at the wide end, with barrel
    distortion and CA, but DxO makes it look like an 'L' lens.

    A satisfied user,

    Colin D.

    ColinD, Aug 23, 2006