    cable. The processing delay of the equipment at each end of the cable
    is a seperate issue.

    , Jun 19, 2006

  2. J Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I recently had one of my non-technical colleagues ask me an interesting
    > questing - how fast is ethernet data transmitted over a UTP cable? So
    > what he was really asking is "what is the average latency of an
    > electrical signal over copper cabling?". I've done some googling but
    > can't find a definitive answer to this. I know that as a rule of thumb
    > the speed of light is reduced to around 0.66c in a fibre, so you could
    > say that the signal travels through the fibre at 2/3 the speed of
    > light. What is the equivalent for an electrical signal in copper?
    >

    > Thanks.
    >

    > Ash.
    >

    > ...note that I'm only asking about the signal propagation time in the
    > cable. The processing delay of the equipment at each end of the cable
    > is a seperate issue.

    I highly recommend getting a copy of "Ethernet: The Definitive Guide"
    by O'Reilly.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...f=pd_bbs_1/102-4026344-9788109?_encoding=UTF8

    The discussion about Ethernet specifications, specifically minimum and
    maximum cable lengths explains the round-trip propogation delay in
    detail. If memory serves me correctly I want to say that the maximum
    time between any two devices in a broadcast domain is something like
    26.5 micro-seconds for a maximum round-trip time of 53 micro-seconds.
    I think it's something like that but frankly I can't recall with any
    degree of certainty. I recommend the book to everyone in networking.
    I've found that the concepts it outlines are applicable in everything I
    do in networking every day.

    J, Jun 19, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I recently had one of my non-technical colleagues ask me an interesting
    > questing - how fast is ethernet data transmitted over a UTP cable? So
    > what he was really asking is "what is the average latency of an
    > electrical signal over copper cabling?". I've done some googling but
    > can't find a definitive answer to this. I know that as a rule of thumb
    > the speed of light is reduced to around 0.66c in a fibre, so you could
    > say that the signal travels through the fibre at 2/3 the speed of
    > light. What is the equivalent for an electrical signal in copper?

    About 75%, for UTP. The difference usually only becomes significant for
    long distances (km) at which point moving significant bandwidth over UTP
    becomes challenging.

    Michael Newbery, Jun 19, 2006