Late to Digital, Leica Slow to Refocus

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Maurice Blanchard, Sep 23, 2008.

    1. Advertising

  1. Maurice Blanchard

    Guest

    In rec.photo.digital Maurice Blanchard <> wrote:

    | http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122152103387739231.html?mod=article-outset-box

    Leica needs to decide how many cameras they want to sell, then find the market
    level willing to buy that many. If they make $50,000 cameras, they may well be
    the very best camera in the world. But if they sell only 100, how is that
    going to pay for the R&D?

    Maybe they can make the kind of camera I've long wanted. That would be one
    with a continuous view through the electronic sensor, and viewed not via an
    LCD on the back, but through the traditional eyepiece. So the LCD screen
    would have to be inside. Add a feature which operates when a special button
    is pressed that takes the center portion of the sensor and expands it pixel
    for pixel to the LCD screen as a focusing aid. Taking the picture would be
    the expected steps: close the shutter, clear the sensor, open the shutter,
    wait the exposure time, close the shutter, store the image from the sensor.
    It's just that in this case, the shutter is not a focal plane shutter, but
    instead is in the lens just like a rangefinder. It's just opened also to do
    the composition.

    Or maybe someone can figure out how to make a sensor that can shift out the
    image by latching the image and transferring it through a non-exposed path,
    so that the sensor itself can be an electronic shutter.

    , Sep 23, 2008

    said:

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122152103387739231.html?mod=article-outset-box

    > HAHAHA! Talk about bad timing! The article comes out just as Leica
    > announces the S2. So much for Leica's lack of innovation.

    dumbest post ever about this subject, congratz !

    Maurice Blanchard, Sep 23, 2008
  3. Maurice Blanchard

    dj_nme Guest

    C J Campbell wrote:
    > On 2008-09-23 08:33:03 -0700, "Maurice Blanchard" <>
    > said:
    >

    >> "C J Campbell" <> a écrit dans le
    >> message de
    >>> On 2008-09-22 20:00:38 -0700, "Maurice Blanchard" <>

    >> said:
    >>>

    >> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122152103387739231.html?mod=article-outset-box
    >>

    >>> HAHAHA! Talk about bad timing! The article comes out just as Leica
    >>> announces the S2. So much for Leica's lack of innovation.

    >> dumbest post ever about this subject, congratz !

    > Give it time. There have only been 4 or 5 posts about this subject so far.

    I would describe the Leica S2 as a "brave" rather than "clever" move,
    considering that the market for MF digital is currently dominated by
    modular system cameras with removable/replaceable backs and viewfinders.
    My guess would also be that the top-end Canon and Nikon 24x36mm sensor
    DSLR cameras are also competing for the same market segment that the
    Leica S2 is aiming at.
    Only time will tell if the S2, combined with royalties from Panasonic
    licensing can really save Leica.
    I wouldn't count on the (barely) incremental improvements of the M8.2 to
    have much impact, considering that Leica seem to have given up on fixing
    the faulty IR filter used in the M8.

    dj_nme, Sep 24, 2008