    allows the use of DOS, if you do not change the format of the
    drive....and is an option when you install....

    Thank you for any help.....sno

    sno, Oct 21, 2004

  2. sno

    Wizard Guest

    All versions of Windoz allow the running of Dos programs. (if that's
    what you are talking about)

    Wizard, Oct 21, 2004

  3. sno

    bmoag Guest

    Actually XP cannot run many older DOS programs that directly access
    hardware.

    Also there are specialty Windows programs crafted for 9x versions that will
    not run on XP. Specifically there are a number of specialized commercial
    business programs that use data base engines that are incompatible with
    WinXP (like the one that runs my business!!!).

    bmoag, Oct 21, 2004
  4. sno

    HF Guest

    Last one was Millenium.

    "sno" <> wrote in message news:...

    > I am thinking of updating my Win98 to a newer version....
    > I have a number of DOS programs that I am used to and
    > still use.....
    >
    > I was wondering what the last program was that is DOS based...
    > and allows DOS to be used...??
    >
    > Understand there is one program.....the last one..???....that
    > allows the use of DOS, if you do not change the format of the
    > drive....and is an option when you install....
    >
    > Thank you for any help.....sno

    ---

    HF, Oct 21, 2004
  5. sno

    Robert Baer Guest

    bmoag wrote:

    > Actually XP cannot run many older DOS programs that directly access
    > hardware.
    >
    > Also there are specialty Windows programs crafted for 9x versions that will
    > not run on XP. Specifically there are a number of specialized commercial
    > business programs that use data base engines that are incompatible with
    > WinXP (like the one that runs my business!!!).

    Please name the database engines that are incompatible; i am very
    interested.
    Also, if you know of one or two that aer compatible with XP and the
    others, please mention them.

    Robert Baer, Oct 22, 2004
  6. sno

    Robert Baer Guest

    HF wrote:

    > Last one was Millenium.
    >
    > "sno" <> wrote in message news:...
    > >
    > > I am thinking of updating my Win98 to a newer version....
    > > I have a number of DOS programs that I am used to and
    > > still use.....
    > >
    > > I was wondering what the last program was that is DOS based...
    > > and allows DOS to be used...??
    > >
    > > Understand there is one program.....the last one..???....that
    > > allows the use of DOS, if you do not change the format of the
    > > drive....and is an option when you install....
    > >
    > > Thank you for any help.....sno

    > ---

    WinME was after Win2K??
    Most, but not all DOS programs will run in Win3.x, Win9x, WinME and
    Win2K.
    Those that do not work, use direct access to hardware (eg: video, hard
    drives, I/O).

    Robert Baer, Oct 22, 2004
  7. sno

    derek / nul Guest

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:41:00 GMT, Robert Baer <> wrote:

    > WinME was after Win2K??
    > Most, but not all DOS programs will run in Win3.x, Win9x, WinME and
    >Win2K.
    > Those that do not work, use direct access to hardware (eg: video, hard
    >drives, I/O).

    W2k does not have dos as a base though?

    derek / nul, Oct 22, 2004
  8. sno

    Wizard Guest

    Nonsense. There are ways around everyone of those issues. (that assumes
    you know what you are doing)

    I have been able to make RBase apps and DBase apps run just fine.

    Wizard, Oct 22, 2004
  9. sno

    Jerry G. Guest

    All the Windows versions will run most DOS software's. The exceptions
    are the ones that make direct calls to specific hardware functions. Win
    XP has immolation settings that can be applied to specific programs
    starting from Win 95 and up. Most of the problems are with the gaming
    softwares. This is a good reason to keep an older Win 98 machine around
    for your entertainment, and running older softwares.

    A good P III with 98 on it cannot be beat for some things. For serious
    business and general work, a descent P IV with XP is a good choice to
    use. There is a vast array of software's for it, and there is a lot of
    free support available.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Oct 22, 2004
  10. sno

    Jerry G. Guest

    Win 2000 is not DOS, but can immolate to run DOS softwares. I do it
    often. Some softwares can be tricky to set up, and those that access to
    direct hardware calls, may not be able to run.

    I found many business softwares, and older DOS applications to run on
    Win 2000 and XP. I am running some very old Dbase III DOS applications
    on Win 2000 at one location. I am also running the Dbase III programming
    software on the same machines. I have also use some very old spread
    sheet programs starting from the old Lotus series to run on Win 2000 and
    XP.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Oct 22, 2004
  11. sno

    VWWall Guest

    Jerry G. wrote:
    > Win 2000 is not DOS, but can immolate to run DOS softwares. I do it
    > often. Some softwares can be tricky to set up, and those that access to
    > direct hardware calls, may not be able to run.

    im-mo-late(def)--"to kill as a sacrificial victim" Good one! :)

    --
    Virg Wall

    VWWall, Oct 22, 2004
  12. sno

    Thor Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > Win 2000 is not DOS, but can immolate to run DOS softwares. I do it
    > often.

    So you set fire to your computer in order to run DOS programs?

    Sorry, couldn't resist. ;-)

    Thor, Oct 23, 2004