    sort alphabetically with all the folders first then individual sites not in
    any folder as it always did in the past?

    Thanks in advance... Bob

    Bob Newman, Mar 29, 2007

  2. Bob Newman

    Rom Guest

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:38:01 -0400, Bob Newman wrote:

    > Firefox 2.0.0.
    >
    > I told Firefox to sort my bookmarks alphabetically & it did it with no
    > regard to whether it was a folder or an individual site. How do I get it to
    > sort alphabetically with all the folders first then individual sites not in
    > any folder as it always did in the past?

    Don't know what you've tried previously:
    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Sorting_bookmarks_alphabetically>

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Mar 29, 2007

  3. Bob Newman

    Bob Newman Guest

    It doesn't look like that will put them all back in one command. I have
    dozens of folders & you must do one at a time, it screwed them up all at
    once. This seems to be one thing that IE6/7 has it all over Firefox on.

    Bob

    Bob Newman, Mar 29, 2007
  4. Bob Newman

    Charani Guest

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:38:01 -0400, Bob Newman wrote:

    > I told Firefox to sort my bookmarks alphabetically & it did it with no
    > regard to whether it was a folder or an individual site. How do I get it to
    > sort alphabetically with all the folders first then individual sites not in
    > any folder as it always did in the past?

    If it won't do it automatically, do it manually. Yes, it's a faff but
    better that than dump Firefox.

    Alternatively put all the individual sites into a folder called Misc
    or General, then tell Firefox to sort the folders.

    Charani, Mar 29, 2007
  5. Bob Newman

    elaich Guest

    "Bob Newman" <> wrote in

    > I told Firefox to sort my bookmarks alphabetically & it did it with no
    > regard to whether it was a folder or an individual site. How do I get
    > it to sort alphabetically with all the folders first then individual
    > sites not in any folder as it always did in the past?

    Maybe nobody understands the problem, because you are the only one who
    seems to have it.

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

    elaich, Mar 30, 2007
  6. Bob Newman

    Charani Guest

    On 30 Mar 2007 00:26:48 GMT, elaich wrote:

    > Maybe nobody understands the problem, because you are the only one who
    > seems to have it.

    My husband found the same thing happened when he tried Firefox.

    Charani, Mar 30, 2007
  7. Bob Newman

    Rom Guest

    On 30 Mar 2007 00:26:48 GMT, elaich wrote:

    > "Bob Newman" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I told Firefox to sort my bookmarks alphabetically & it did it with no
    >> regard to whether it was a folder or an individual site. How do I get
    >> it to sort alphabetically with all the folders first then individual
    >> sites not in any folder as it always did in the past?

    > Maybe nobody understands the problem, because you are the only one who
    > seems to have it.

    Don't think so. Bookmarks is one area that is in need of improvement,
    including the sorting mentioned by the OP. I don't use alphabetical
    sorting, but understand the problem, and started using Firefox from
    0.4 when it was called Phoenix.

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Mar 30, 2007
  8. Bob Newman

    Chalky Guest

    Rom <> wrote in news::

    > On 30 Mar 2007 00:26:48 GMT, elaich wrote:
    >
    >> "Bob Newman" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I told Firefox to sort my bookmarks alphabetically & it did it with no
    >>> regard to whether it was a folder or an individual site. How do I get
    >>> it to sort alphabetically with all the folders first then individual
    >>> sites not in any folder as it always did in the past?

    >> Maybe nobody understands the problem, because you are the only one who
    >> seems to have it.

    > Don't think so. Bookmarks is one area that is in need of improvement,
    > including the sorting mentioned by the OP. I don't use alphabetical
    > sorting, but understand the problem, and started using Firefox from
    > 0.4 when it was called Phoenix.

    The simple answer is to go to Manage Bookmarks, right click on any item an
    sort by name. This works perfectly.

    Chalky, Mar 30, 2007
  9. Bob Newman

    Rom Guest

    On 30 Mar 2007 10:31:42 GMT, Chalky wrote:

    > Rom <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> On 30 Mar 2007 00:26:48 GMT, elaich wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Bob Newman" <> wrote in

    >>> Maybe nobody understands the problem, because you are the only one who
    >>> seems to have it.

    >> Don't think so. Bookmarks is one area that is in need of improvement,
    >> including the sorting mentioned by the OP. I don't use alphabetical
    >> sorting, but understand the problem, and started using Firefox from
    >> 0.4 when it was called Phoenix.

    > The simple answer is to go to Manage Bookmarks, right click on any item an
    > sort by name. This works perfectly.

    Btw, I didn't ask. And your simple answer does not work very well, let
    alone perfectly.

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Mar 30, 2007
  10. Bob Newman

    Chalky Guest

    Rom <> wrote in

    > On 30 Mar 2007 10:31:42 GMT, Chalky wrote:
    >
    >> Rom <> wrote in

    >>> Don't think so. Bookmarks is one area that is in need of improvement,
    >>> including the sorting mentioned by the OP. I don't use alphabetical
    >>> sorting, but understand the problem, and started using Firefox from
    >>> 0.4 when it was called Phoenix.

    >> The simple answer is to go to Manage Bookmarks, right click on any
    >> item an sort by name. This works perfectly.

    > Btw, I didn't ask. And your simple answer does not work very well, let
    > alone perfectly.

    Well it works perfectly on my system.

    Chalky, Mar 31, 2007
  11. Bob Newman

    Rom Guest

    On 31 Mar 2007 05:08:39 GMT, Chalky wrote:

    > Rom <> wrote in
    >
    >> On 30 Mar 2007 10:31:42 GMT, Chalky wrote:

    [...]
    >>> The simple answer is to go to Manage Bookmarks, right click on any
    >>> item an sort by name. This works perfectly.

    >> Btw, I didn't ask. And your simple answer does not work very well, let
    >> alone perfectly.
    >>

    > Well it works perfectly on my system.

    Do you have folders?
    Sort By Name on the context menu does not sort all folders.

    Sorting by name in Windows Explorer or All Programs list of Windows
    Start menu can sort all folders. This would be the expected behaviour.

    What should be simple and intuitive to (new) users has instructions,
    an extension and an app to sort alphabetically in Firefox:

    Rom, Mar 31, 2007