Last plea...just incase

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Isildur, Jan 20, 2004.

  1. Isildur

    Isildur Guest

    Problem: for some mysterious reason, any hard drive i put into my computer
    starts to make a clicking noise after a certain amount of time, could notice
    it after a few days, sometimes it's a month (insanely irritating).
    It all started nearly a year ago with my 40gig maxtor and it gradually got
    too un stable to use my operating system.
    To cut long stories short i put it in another PC, (working fine and is still
    there now)
    I thought i'd try a western digital (not brand new, but used it in another
    pc, never a problem) - sure you can guess, after a month or two of use i
    notice 'the noise'.
    Now this WD hard drive had never been in my pc before, and was fine.
    Sod it i think, i'll buy a brand new 80gig maxtor, it starts clicking after
    a few weeks!
    So i think is XP to blame? installed Win2000, and it's just started
    clicking!

    Now i know you are going to say 'change this' or 'your mobo is dodgy'

    Now here is what i've replaced (all new)

    motherboard: (this was what the 'computer shop' suggested, replaced an ECS
    (which now works fine in another pc) with a new ASrock

    cpu: upgraded a 1600+ to a 2600+ athlon XP

    hd: tried wd 40gig, bought maxtor 80gig

    psu: bought a 400w power supply unit to replace the probably fine 300w

    Ide: bought a new ide cable

    cdrom: got a brand new cd burner (of course tried running with no cdrom
    drives in though)

    GFX card: replaced geforce2 with a g4 (also tried running the mobo's onboard
    graphics)

    sound: tried using the on board, still made the noise, so i use a
    soundblaster live 5.1.

    The noise has happened anytime, but when i'm loading a game and it's heavily
    'in use' like starting a game or program etc it's 99% of the time going to
    happen.
    'it's just a noise' you say, well i'd agree but after the experience with
    the first maxtor it only gets worse until my pc is a mess.

    I've also contacted MAXTOR directly, they advised me to do a low level
    format, i did, no change. (also it passed every test on the maxtor utility)

    After everything i've tried it's just amusing now, i'll just wait until it
    finally dies or something.
    there is no way three seperate drives would all have the same issue (plus
    they work fine in another PC!)

    HERE IS THE NOISE: i've even recorded it!, this is a typical example loading
    something and it'll 'click', it doesn't affect what i'm doing but like i say
    i know it'll get worse.

    http://www.michaelharper01.btinternet.co.uk/noise.mp3 (it's on the ninth
    second, to be precise!)

    thanks in advance
    Michael.....
    Isildur, Jan 20, 2004

  2. Isildur

    Trent© Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 03:30:08 +0000 (UTC), "Isildur"
    <> wrote:

    >Problem: for some mysterious reason, any hard drive i put into my computer
    >starts to make a clicking noise after a certain amount of time, could notice
    >it after a few days, sometimes it's a month (insanely irritating).
    >It all started nearly a year ago with my 40gig maxtor and it gradually got
    >too un stable to use my operating system.

    What do you mean by 'unstable'?

    >To cut long stories short i put it in another PC, (working fine and is still
    >there now)

    Did you transfer it with the operating system (xp)?...or did you put
    it in the other machine and re-install an os?

    >I thought i'd try a western digital (not brand new, but used it in another
    >pc, never a problem) - sure you can guess, after a month or two of use i
    >notice 'the noise'.
    >Now this WD hard drive had never been in my pc before, and was fine.
    >Sod it i think, i'll buy a brand new 80gig maxtor, it starts clicking after
    >a few weeks!

    Are you running SMART in the BIOS?

    >So i think is XP to blame? installed Win2000, and it's just started
    >clicking!

    Could be SMART...or some other diagnostic. Did you try a CAD?...to
    see what processes are running? Are you running any real-time
    anti-virus? Make sure Diskeeper isn't running in the background.

    >Ide: bought a new ide cable

    This is often the culprit...but not often after a replacement. Is
    there any hesitation when this happens? Did you check your event
    viewer?

    >The noise has happened anytime, but when i'm loading a game and it's heavily
    >'in use' like starting a game or program etc it's 99% of the time going to
    >happen.
    >'it's just a noise' you say, well i'd agree but after the experience with
    >the first maxtor it only gets worse until my pc is a mess.

    What do you mean...'a mess'? Are you running any of Norton's junk?

    >After everything i've tried it's just amusing now, i'll just wait until it
    >finally dies or something.
    >there is no way three seperate drives would all have the same issue (plus
    >they work fine in another PC!)

    It sounds like a software problem...something running in the
    background that's trying to optimize the drive.

    How often do you do a defrag and scandisk? Shud be done at least once
    a week. Have you compacted OE?...emptied out your IE temp files?

    Good luck...let us know.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    If the cheese isn't yours...its Nacho cheese, man!
    Trent©, Jan 20, 2004

  3. Isildur

    Brightspark Guest

    Correct me if I'm wrong but the only thing you didn't replace was the case,
    so if everything but the case is brand new and you're still hearing this
    noise what does that leave you? Maybe try taking the hdd out of its bay and
    gently stand it freely, the cables should hold it secure as long as you
    don't move the case around or bump it. If the sound recurs then you will
    just have to go to your local shaman or witch woman to remove the curse that
    some malignant soul has obviously placed upon you ;-).

    Just my two-cents,

    Brightspark

    Brightspark, Jan 20, 2004
  4. Isildur

    G Smith Guest

    Since you have replaced everything inside and the parts run fine in other
    machines it would seem that the only other thing is the case or hard drive
    mounting. Is there any chance that the drive is moving and causing a noise
    within its mounting or is a fan near the drive? It sounds like you have
    built a whole new system minus the case I am no detective but when you
    eliminate the obvious and the only thing left may seem impossible it is
    still the only thing left.

    G Smith, Jan 20, 2004
  5. Isildur

    Isildur Guest

    I used to think it could be norton, so everytime i install an OS now i don't
    run it at all.
    As for what happens to my PC, it would freeze when the click happened, or
    blue screen etc, what is most annoying about this issue is it only starts
    after a month or whatever for no specific reason.
    I *think* smart is usually disabled in bios
    Also i ran a software util called active smart and when the noise started it
    said this....
    http://www.michaelharper01.btinternet.co.uk/harddrive.JPG

    Hope you know what it means!
    Isildur, Jan 20, 2004
  6. Isildur

    George Guest

    I assume the power supply is being lumped in with the case??? Sounds like
    it could be a noisy power supply...ripple tends to destroy boards and spikes
    (not too high) tend to cause erratic behavior as they frequently couple to
    signal/control lines. Good brands for power supplies include: PC Power &
    Cooling (the best, but you pay for it), Antec, and Enermax. Sparkle is OK,
    too.

    Oh, something else that might be the cause of your clicking (and drive
    destruction): mounting screws that are too long or too tight...sometimes
    they can inhibit servo motor movement and that can mean clicking when they
    hit the screws and heat when it has its movement stopped and heat means
    ultimately failure.

    George, Jan 20, 2004
  7. Isildur

    mike Guest

    Yes I agree you have pretty much reasond it down to two possible causes
    1 the system case and the way the drive is mounted in it including screws
    try mounting (screwing) the drive on one side only and if you can try
    changing the bay

    2 Well I suppose that you changed the cables each time you put new drive in
    but you never said that so if you have not change the cable

    Lastly and you hve to be careful with this one just let the drive hang of
    course making sure the pcb will not short to any part of the frame or mobo
    mike, Jan 20, 2004
  8. Isildur

    Trent© Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:38:12 +0000 (UTC), "Isildur"
    <> wrote:

    >I used to think it could be norton, so everytime i install an OS now i don't
    >run it at all.
    >As for what happens to my PC, it would freeze when the click happened, or
    >blue screen etc, what is most annoying about this issue is it only starts
    >after a month or whatever for no specific reason.
    >I *think* smart is usually disabled in bios

    What has that got to do with anything? lol Check it.

    >Also i ran a software util called active smart and when the noise started it
    >said this....
    >http://www.michaelharper01.btinternet.co.uk/harddrive.JPG
    >
    >Hope you know what it means!

    Have you always been running this program? If so, that's your
    problem.

    Does your ATA settings for the drive correspond to the ATA settings
    for the mb controller? Get the proper disc from your drive's site and
    check that.

    I'd still suspect a diagnostic slow down...or a bad IDE cable. Try
    another BRAND NEW cable.

    Good luck.

    Trent©, Jan 20, 2004
  9. Isildur

    bmoag Guest

    I had a similar problem with an 80gb Maxtor. It passed all the same tests.
    Maxtor refused to replace it.
    It killed me to find out they were right.
    Guess what: it was the power supply. When the output becomes unstable surges
    or dropouts cause the hard drive to behave exactly as you describe.
    Get a new power supply, at least 350 watts.
    bmoag, Jan 20, 2004
  10. Isildur

    Thor Guest

    "George" <> wrote in message
    > I assume the power supply is being lumped in with the case??? Sounds like
    > it could be a noisy power supply...ripple tends to destroy boards and

    spikes
    > (not too high) tend to cause erratic behavior as they frequently couple to
    > signal/control lines. Good brands for power supplies include: PC Power &
    > Cooling (the best, but you pay for it), Antec, and Enermax. Sparkle is

    OK,
    > too.
    >
    > Oh, something else that might be the cause of your clicking (and drive
    > destruction): mounting screws that are too long or too tight...sometimes
    > they can inhibit servo motor movement and that can mean clicking when they
    > hit the screws and heat when it has its movement stopped and heat means
    > ultimately failure.

    No mounting screw can penetrate the drive's platter compartment, so the
    servo arm cannot possibly come into contact with it. The drive housings
    simply aren't designed that way.
    Thor, Jan 20, 2004
  11. Isildur

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Isildur" <> wrote in news:bui7c0$8fm$1
    @sparta.btinternet.com:

    > psu: bought a 400w power supply unit to replace the probably fine 300w

    Replacing a crappy 300w unit with a crappy 400w unit will do no good. Did
    you replace it with a high quality 400w supply, or another $25 PS?

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Jan 20, 2004
  12. Isildur

    Isildur Guest

    > @sparta.btinternet.com:
    >
    > > psu: bought a 400w power supply unit to replace the probably fine 300w
    > >

    > Replacing a crappy 300w unit with a crappy 400w unit will do no good. Did
    > you replace it with a high quality 400w supply, or another $25 PS?

    It wasn't an expensive one no, so you are saying the original 300watt went
    crappy and the new one was too cheap? i didn't want to spent loads on it
    incase it didn't help, i'm sure you can understand looking at all the other
    stuff i'd replaced!
    But i did think i'd crack it with another PSU, maybe i'll try a more
    expensive one, any brand names?
    Isildur, Jan 21, 2004
  13. Isildur

    Night_Seer Guest

    Isildur wrote:
    > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    >> "Isildur" <> wrote in
    >> news:bui7c0$8fm$1 @sparta.btinternet.com:
    >>
    >>> psu: bought a 400w power supply unit to replace the probably fine
    >>> 300w
    >>>

    >> Replacing a crappy 300w unit with a crappy 400w unit will do no
    >> good. Did you replace it with a high quality 400w supply, or
    >> another $25 PS?

    > It wasn't an expensive one no, so you are saying the original 300watt
    > went crappy and the new one was too cheap? i didn't want to spent
    > loads on it incase it didn't help, i'm sure you can understand
    > looking at all the other stuff i'd replaced!
    > But i did think i'd crack it with another PSU, maybe i'll try a more
    > expensive one, any brand names?

    Enermax or Antec are good

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 21, 2004
  14. Isildur

    Thor Guest

    > Isildur wrote:
    > > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > >> "Isildur" <> wrote in
    > >> news:bui7c0$8fm$1 @sparta.btinternet.com:

    > >> Replacing a crappy 300w unit with a crappy 400w unit will do no
    > >> good. Did you replace it with a high quality 400w supply, or
    > >> another $25 PS?

    > > It wasn't an expensive one no, so you are saying the original 300watt
    > > went crappy and the new one was too cheap? i didn't want to spent
    > > loads on it incase it didn't help, i'm sure you can understand
    > > looking at all the other stuff i'd replaced!
    > > But i did think i'd crack it with another PSU, maybe i'll try a more
    > > expensive one, any brand names?

    > Enermax or Antec are good

    And PC Power & Cooling (but those are expensive)
    Thor, Jan 21, 2004
  15. Isildur

    mike Guest

    another thing you may want to check is the ram. I noticed you haven't
    replaced that. If the ram is dodgie it is possible to make your mother board
    do strange things. If you have some spare sticks try swapping them out or
    trading them with some from your other pc personally I have never
    experienced the exact same problem with two different power supplies in the
    same system but I mean hey there is always a first time
    mike, Jan 21, 2004
  16. Isildur

    George Guest

    No, the drive screws don't penetrate but if they are too long they can
    bottom out in the hole and torqueing the screws just slightly more will
    cause a slight deformation of the metal. This isn't a guess...I am a test
    engineer and have been guilty of this one myself once. (It only takes once
    to be memorable.) Quick test for this is just open up your case and back
    off a turn or so on the mounting screws and give it a try...usually the
    deformation is elastic (and not plastic) so it'll return to normal
    operation...if that fixes it, don't put your case back together with loose
    screws...either get shorter ones or cut down the ones you have.

    &

    George, Jan 21, 2004
  17. Isildur

    George Guest

    You have good taste in power supplies.

    George, Jan 21, 2004
  18. Isildur

    Thor Guest

    "George" <> wrote in message
    > No, the drive screws don't penetrate but if they are too long they can
    > bottom out in the hole and torqueing the screws just slightly more will
    > cause a slight deformation of the metal. This isn't a guess...I am a test
    > engineer and have been guilty of this one myself once. (It only takes

    once
    > to be memorable.) Quick test for this is just open up your case and back
    > off a turn or so on the mounting screws and give it a try...usually the
    > deformation is elastic (and not plastic) so it'll return to normal
    > operation...if that fixes it, don't put your case back together with loose
    > screws...either get shorter ones or cut down the ones you have.

    Of all the drives I've seen, they have had their mounting holes tapped into
    the thick cast-aluminum frame of the drive and the screws would either
    bottom out against a substantial wall of cast aluminum (in which case you
    would plainly strip the threads long before penetrating or even deforming
    this backstop), or the holes are drilled and tapped straight through, *not
    to the platter compartment*, but well *below* the platter compartment, and
    adjacent to the logic board, in which case screws that were too long could
    contact logic board components and circuitry causing a problem, but never
    the head actuator assembly itself, as that resides well out of reach, and
    position.
    Thor, Jan 21, 2004
  19. Isildur

    Thor Guest

    Thank you. I use a Turbo-Cool 350 in my own machine. :)

    Thor, Jan 21, 2004
  20. Isildur

    George Guest

    I think it is money well spent. It amazes me that people will spend $450 on
    their video card alone and then want to use a $29 power supply. When these
    cheap supplies die, or even sometimes when they live, they seem to want to
    take everything else along with them.

    I think my next "investment" will actually be a whole house surge suppressor
    as recent electrical events seem to have taken out one of the bits in a
    counter in, of all things, my microwave oven making the clock and timer run
    about 10% fast and the "part" (a whole new faceplate as the appliance
    industry likes to do) is about $200. A whole house surge suppressor is only
    about $90-120 and seems like it could have already paid for itself.

    George, Jan 21, 2004