Last Known Good Configuration

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Global_Killa, Jun 1, 2004.

  1. Global_Killa

    Global_Killa Guest

    Hey all,
    I've got a problem when booting up. Unless I press F8 twice when my
    computer is about to boot Windows, I get an error message (can't remember
    what the error message is right now, but will post later if required).

    Anyway, I need to choose to boot from a last known good configuration, then
    everything is fine. Is there a way of restoring this configuration?
    I would do a new reinstall of Windows XP but I'm only going to be using it
    for another week or so while I'm waiting for my new motherboard to arrive,
    then I'm using a new hard drive with a fresh installation.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks for any help,

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk

    Global_Killa, Jun 1, 2004

  2. Global_Killa

    The Prophecy Guest

    Global_Killa wrote:
    > Hey all,
    > I've got a problem when booting up. Unless I press F8 twice when
    > my computer is about to boot Windows, I get an error message (can't
    > remember what the error message is right now, but will post later if
    > required).
    >
    > Anyway, I need to choose to boot from a last known good
    > configuration, then everything is fine. Is there a way of restoring
    > this configuration?
    > I would do a new reinstall of Windows XP but I'm only going to be
    > using it for another week or so while I'm waiting for my new
    > motherboard to arrive, then I'm using a new hard drive with a fresh
    > installation.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks for any help,

    Get the error message first and post it here. Don't bother using the System
    Restore feature because I figure somebody will probably tell you to, I have
    heard nothing but bad things about it. I have tried using it a couple times
    myself and it just ended up creating more problems for me, and never fixed
    any of the ones I started with.

    The Prophecy, Jun 1, 2004

  3. Global_Killa

    Global_Killa Guest

    Re: Last Known Good Configuration - Error message

    "Global_Killa" <> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    > I've got a problem when booting up. Unless I press F8 twice when my
    > computer is about to boot Windows, I get an error message (can't remember
    > what the error message is right now, but will post later if required).
    >
    > Anyway, I need to choose to boot from a last known good configuration,

    then
    > everything is fine. Is there a way of restoring this configuration?
    > I would do a new reinstall of Windows XP but I'm only going to be using it
    > for another week or so while I'm waiting for my new motherboard to arrive,
    > then I'm using a new hard drive with a fresh installation.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    >
    > --
    > Global_Killa
    > "You're a victim of the rules you live by!"
    >
    > http://punkthenation.tk

    The error message that is being displayed:

    "Windows could not start because of a compuer disk hardware configuration
    problem.
    Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk
    hardware.
    Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and
    your hardware refernce manuals."

    This problem started after my secondare IDE port on my motherboard stopped
    working.
    I took out two CD-ROMs and a hard drive. So all I have is one hard drive and
    a floppy.

    This shows correct in the BIOS and under Windows once I've booted from last
    goof configuration.
    Is this problem caused by an error in a boot file that Windows reads before
    booting?

    I have two boot menu options. I can boot from just Windows XP or Windows XP
    (boot screen).
    Only Windows XP (boot screen) will work, since this is the one I have used
    since Windows was last installed.

    Thanks for any help,

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk

    Global_Killa, Jun 1, 2004
  4. Global_Killa

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "The Prophecy" <> wrote in

    > Get the error message first and post it here. Don't bother using the
    > System Restore feature because I figure somebody will probably tell
    > you to, I have heard nothing but bad things about it. I have tried
    > using it a couple times myself and it just ended up creating more
    > problems for me, and never fixed any of the ones I started with.

    I use it religiously at work, so far it has a success rate of about 75% and
    never hurt anything worse than it was.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Jun 2, 2004
  5. Global_Killa

    mark mandel Guest

    "The Prophecy" <> wrote in message
    > Global_Killa wrote:
    > > Hey all,
    > > I've got a problem when booting up. Unless I press F8 twice when
    > > my computer is about to boot Windows, I get an error message (can't
    > > remember what the error message is right now, but will post later if
    > > required).
    > >
    > > Anyway, I need to choose to boot from a last known good
    > > configuration, then everything is fine. Is there a way of restoring
    > > this configuration?
    > > I would do a new reinstall of Windows XP but I'm only going to be
    > > using it for another week or so while I'm waiting for my new
    > > motherboard to arrive, then I'm using a new hard drive with a fresh
    > > installation.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help,

    > Get the error message first and post it here. Don't bother using the

    System
    > Restore feature because I figure somebody will probably tell you to, I

    have
    > heard nothing but bad things about it. I have tried using it a couple

    times
    > myself and it just ended up creating more problems for me, and never fixed
    > any of the ones I started with.

    I beg to differ(re: the System Restore that is).

    It IS a good feature and about the only time it could be a drawback is if
    one fails to disable it if there's a virus in the OS. Failure to disable it
    then would indeed create undesirable consequences.

    There are also occasions when it just plain doesn't work. In that case a
    repair/install or complete format and reinstall would be needed.

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, Jun 2, 2004
  6. Global_Killa

    Wizard Guest

    Global_Killa wrote:

    > "Global_Killa" <> wrote in message
    > > Hey all,
    > > I've got a problem when booting up. Unless I press F8 twice when my
    > > computer is about to boot Windows, I get an error message (can't remember
    > > what the error message is right now, but will post later if required).
    > >
    > > Anyway, I need to choose to boot from a last known good configuration,

    > then
    > > everything is fine. Is there a way of restoring this configuration?
    > > I would do a new reinstall of Windows XP but I'm only going to be using it
    > > for another week or so while I'm waiting for my new motherboard to arrive,
    > > then I'm using a new hard drive with a fresh installation.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help,
    > >
    > > --
    > > Global_Killa
    > > "You're a victim of the rules you live by!"
    > >
    > > http://punkthenation.tk

    > The error message that is being displayed:
    >
    > "Windows could not start because of a compuer disk hardware configuration
    > problem.
    > Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk
    > hardware.
    > Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and
    > your hardware refernce manuals."
    >
    > This problem started after my secondare IDE port on my motherboard stopped
    > working.
    > I took out two CD-ROMs and a hard drive. So all I have is one hard drive and
    > a floppy.
    >
    > This shows correct in the BIOS and under Windows once I've booted from last
    > goof configuration.
    > Is this problem caused by an error in a boot file that Windows reads before
    > booting?

    Yes

    Wizard, Jun 2, 2004
  7. Global_Killa

    "Wizard" <> wrote in message

    > Global_Killa wrote:
    > >
    > > "Global_Killa" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hey all,
    > > > I've got a problem when booting up. Unless I press F8 twice when

    my
    > > > computer is about to boot Windows, I get an error message (can't

    remember
    > > > what the error message is right now, but will post later if required).
    > > >
    > > > Anyway, I need to choose to boot from a last known good configuration,

    > > then
    > > > everything is fine. Is there a way of restoring this configuration?
    > > > I would do a new reinstall of Windows XP but I'm only going to be

    using it
    > > > for another week or so while I'm waiting for my new motherboard to

    arrive,
    > > > then I'm using a new hard drive with a fresh installation.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for any help,
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Global_Killa
    > > > "You're a victim of the rules you live by!"
    > > >
    > > > http://punkthenation.tk

    > > The error message that is being displayed:
    > >
    > > "Windows could not start because of a compuer disk hardware

    configuration
    > > problem.
    > > Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk
    > > hardware.
    > > Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration

    and
    > > your hardware refernce manuals."
    > >
    > > This problem started after my secondare IDE port on my motherboard

    stopped
    > > working.
    > > I took out two CD-ROMs and a hard drive. So all I have is one hard drive

    and
    > > a floppy.
    > >
    > > This shows correct in the BIOS and under Windows once I've booted from

    last
    > > goof configuration.
    > > Is this problem caused by an error in a boot file that Windows reads

    before
    > > booting?

    > Yes

    Thanks,
    Fixed the problem. I changed the setting for the default boot back to my
    bootscreen. Don't know how it got changed.

    The setting is located:

    Right click on 'My Computer', click 'Properties'
    Click 'Advanced' tab, click 'Settings' under 'Startup and Recovery'
    And then change 'Default operating system'.

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk

    Global_Killa, Jun 2, 2004
  8. Global_Killa

    ProfGene Guest

    When you hit f8 and get into the safe mode that is an option to restore to
    the last good configuration and it takes much less time that redoing the
    whol OS.

    ProfGene, Jun 3, 2004