Laserjet toners

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Cameron Gibbs, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Hey peoples :)
    Long time no see.

    I just scored a free LaserJet printer from a friend clearing his yard of old
    gear.
    Canon LBP-8 Mark IV
    It has a Hewlett Packard cartridge in it: 92298A

    It was working perfectly but it kept flashing that the toner was low.
    Another friend gave me a near new catridge of toner from a photocopier that
    is no longer in use.

    I tried opening up the LaserJet cartridge and spooning the toner into it.
    I had to wind the magnetic drum to get the toner to fall into the cartridge
    so that I could fill it up.
    When I tried printing from this it all came out grey, blotchy and with
    repeating parts of the page.
    And it still flashed that the toner was low.
    I put about 20 pages through it without much improvement.

    I have now completely removed all of the toner from the cartridge by pulling
    it apart and blowing it all out with an air compressor (I got quite messy
    but it was fun).
    I cleaned the drum and other parts with methylated spirits (worked well).
    I want to start fresh.

    What did I do wrong the first time?
    What can I do better now?

    Are photocopier toners compatible with LaserJet toners?

    Thanks for any help.
    --
    ______________________________
    Reply to the group.

    The PC & Electronic Data Map Project:
    http://members.dodo.com.au/~cameron111

    ---

    Cameron Gibbs, Feb 6, 2004

  2. Cameron Gibbs

    Thor Guest

    "Cameron Gibbs" <> wrote in message
    > Hey peoples :)
    > Long time no see.
    >
    > I just scored a free LaserJet printer from a friend clearing his yard of

    old
    > gear.
    > Canon LBP-8 Mark IV
    > It has a Hewlett Packard cartridge in it: 92298A
    >
    > It was working perfectly but it kept flashing that the toner was low.
    > Another friend gave me a near new catridge of toner from a photocopier

    that
    > is no longer in use.
    >
    > I tried opening up the LaserJet cartridge and spooning the toner into it.
    > I had to wind the magnetic drum to get the toner to fall into the

    cartridge
    > so that I could fill it up.
    > When I tried printing from this it all came out grey, blotchy and with
    > repeating parts of the page.
    > And it still flashed that the toner was low.
    > I put about 20 pages through it without much improvement.
    >
    > I have now completely removed all of the toner from the cartridge by

    pulling
    > it apart and blowing it all out with an air compressor (I got quite messy
    > but it was fun).
    > I cleaned the drum and other parts with methylated spirits (worked well).
    > I want to start fresh.
    >
    > What did I do wrong the first time?
    > What can I do better now?
    >
    > Are photocopier toners compatible with LaserJet toners?

    I wouldn't advise using toner from something that it wasn't specifically
    designed for. The copier toner you used may be different in composition, and
    might not reliably fuse to the paper at the temperature your particular
    laser printer uses to do this. Or it may not properly respond to the charge
    your printer applies in order for it to adhere properly to paper before it
    is fused.

    Thor, Feb 6, 2004

  3. Cameron Gibbs

    mike Guest

    > Are photocopier toners compatible with LaserJet toners?

    the answer is no they are not you may luck out but I really doubt it and you
    may have already hooped the pcu by cleaning it
    you may be able to get a refurbished one at a place like staples or grand
    and toy and it is possible that you have caked the fuser roller with the
    toner that you put in it and ran through it oh well . Good luck

    mike, Feb 6, 2004
  4. Cameron Gibbs

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "mike" <> wrote in

    > the answer is no they are not you may luck out but I really doubt it
    > and you may have already hooped the pcu by cleaning it
    > you may be able to get a refurbished one at a place like staples or
    > grand and toy and it is possible that you have caked the fuser roller
    > with the toner that you put in it and ran through it oh well .

    Amazingly, this entire block of sentences connected with "and" and there is
    only 1 punctuation mark in the entire thing.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Feb 6, 2004
  5. Cameron Gibbs

    mike Guest

    Amazingly you are were so anal as to point it out!

    mike, Feb 6, 2004
  6. "Thor" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > > Are photocopier toners compatible with LaserJet toners?

    > I wouldn't advise using toner from something that it wasn't specifically
    > designed for. The copier toner you used may be different in composition, and
    > might not reliably fuse to the paper at the temperature your particular
    > laser printer uses to do this. Or it may not properly respond to the charge
    > your printer applies in order for it to adhere properly to paper before it
    > is fused.

    Thanks Thor.

    As always, simple, to the point and brilliant.

    Cameron Gibbs, Feb 7, 2004