    dependable service, i hope it has not seen it's day, the total page count is
    still not high so I presume the mechanics of the printer will still be in
    good order.
    trigon, May 23, 2006

  2. trigon

    Guest

    On Tue, 23 May 2006 15:46:02 +1200, "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote:

    >My trusty hp laserjet iii has suddenly gone belly up, I get the service 50
    >error and the 2 connectors at the right end of the fuser read open circuit,
    >from what i can agther my onely option is to replace the fuser, anyone know
    >where I can get a good one of these at a reasonable cost, I really like this
    >printer, it has never let me down until now, it's given me 9 years of
    >dependable service, i hope it has not seen it's day, the total page count is
    >still not high so I presume the mechanics of the printer will still be in
    >good order.

    Would cost more than a new Printer..
    , May 23, 2006

  3. trigon

    trigon Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 23 May 2006 15:46:02 +1200, "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote:
    >
    > >My trusty hp laserjet iii has suddenly gone belly up, I get the service

    50
    > >error and the 2 connectors at the right end of the fuser read open

    circuit,
    > >from what i can agther my onely option is to replace the fuser, anyone

    know
    > >where I can get a good one of these at a reasonable cost, I really like

    this
    > >printer, it has never let me down until now, it's given me 9 years of
    > >dependable service, i hope it has not seen it's day, the total page count

    is
    > >still not high so I presume the mechanics of the printer will still be in
    > >good order.
    > >

    > Would cost more than a new Printer..

    I am going to attempt to fix the fuser unit then.
    trigon, May 23, 2006
  4. On Tue, 23 May 2006 15:46:02 +1200, "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote:

    >My trusty hp laserjet iii has suddenly gone belly up, I get the service 50
    >error and the 2 connectors at the right end of the fuser read open circuit,
    >from what i can agther my onely option is to replace the fuser, anyone know
    >where I can get a good one of these at a reasonable cost, I really like this
    >printer, it has never let me down until now, it's given me 9 years of
    >dependable service, i hope it has not seen it's day, the total page count is
    >still not high so I presume the mechanics of the printer will still be in
    >good order.

    Do you have a recycling depot at your local refuse dump? I've scored a
    number of LJ IIIs there for between $5 - $10, and manage to keep one
    good one going from the parts.

    --
    Regards
    Malcolm
    Malcolm Moore, May 23, 2006
  5. trigon

    trigon Guest

    "Malcolm Moore" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 23 May 2006 15:46:02 +1200, "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote:
    >
    > >My trusty hp laserjet iii has suddenly gone belly up, I get the service

    50
    > >error and the 2 connectors at the right end of the fuser read open

    circuit,
    > >from what i can agther my onely option is to replace the fuser, anyone

    know
    > >where I can get a good one of these at a reasonable cost, I really like

    this
    > >printer, it has never let me down until now, it's given me 9 years of
    > >dependable service, i hope it has not seen it's day, the total page count

    is
    > >still not high so I presume the mechanics of the printer will still be in
    > >good order.

    > Do you have a recycling depot at your local refuse dump? I've scored a
    > number of LJ IIIs there for between $5 - $10, and manage to keep one
    > good one going from the parts.

    No I don't, but thanks for the suggestion. I would have thought that most
    laserjet III's were thrown because of bad fusers, certainly the 2 spare ones
    i scored were chucked because of this.
    trigon, May 23, 2006
  6. trigon

    joe_90 Guest

    trigon wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Would cost more than a new Printer..

    > I am going to attempt to fix the fuser unit then.

    The fuser unit heating element is not repairable as it is enclosed in a
    sealed 'glass' tube.

    I bought a reconditioned fuser unit for my LJIII through HP spares about
    5 years ago and the cost was prohibitive. Much as I like the printer, I
    will not do so again.
    joe_90, May 23, 2006
  7. trigon

    trigon Guest

    "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote in message news:...
    > My trusty hp laserjet iii has suddenly gone belly up, I get the service 50
    > error and the 2 connectors at the right end of the fuser read open

    circuit,
    > from what i can agther my onely option is to replace the fuser, anyone

    know
    > where I can get a good one of these at a reasonable cost, I really like

    this
    > printer, it has never let me down until now, it's given me 9 years of
    > dependable service, i hope it has not seen it's day, the total page count

    is
    > still not high so I presume the mechanics of the printer will still be in
    > good order.

    Page count is 64000 which i don't think is very much for a printer such as
    this.
    trigon, May 23, 2006
  8. trigon

    David Guest

    On Tue, 23 May 2006 18:40:44 +1200, trigon wrote:

    > "trigon" <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote in message news:...
    >> My trusty hp laserjet iii has suddenly gone belly up, I get the service 50
    >> error and the 2 connectors at the right end of the fuser read open

    > circuit,
    >> from what i can agther my onely option is to replace the fuser, anyone

    > know
    >> where I can get a good one of these at a reasonable cost, I really like

    > this
    >> printer, it has never let me down until now, it's given me 9 years of
    >> dependable service, i hope it has not seen it's day, the total page count

    > is
    >> still not high so I presume the mechanics of the printer will still be in
    >> good order.
    >>

    > Page count is 64000 which i don't think is very much for a printer such as
    > this.

    You did well to get 9 yrs. For low usage, it seems yrs count more than
    pages. Our IIIP only lasted 5yrs (page count only 30,000) before some
    "minor" component (fan IIRC) failed. Quote to replace the component was
    around $500 - $600. Very frustrating. Till then the printer had performed
    flawlessly, but it made no sense to spend that much & end up with a 5 yr
    old printer which no doubt had other components waiting fail. Technology
    had also moved on (1200 dpi instead of 300, etc ). And in the following 8
    yrs it has moved on a lot further.

    Can now get low end laser printers for as little $120, or $500+ for
    something that is likely better than your iii (& will almost certainly have
    a lot longer residual life). Even colour lasers as low as $500. I doubt
    that you could repair the fuser for $500 & would still be left with an old
    machine more prone to failure.

    David
    David, May 23, 2006
  9. On Tue, 23 May 2006 15:46:02 +1200, trigon <fsdfsd@dsdsffds> wrote:
    > My trusty hp laserjet iii has suddenly gone belly up, I get the service 50
    > error and the 2 connectors at the right end of the fuser read open circuit,
    > from what i can agther my onely option is to replace the fuser, anyone know
    > where I can get a good one of these at a reasonable cost, I really like this
    > printer, it has never let me down until now, it's given me 9 years of
    > dependable service, i hope it has not seen it's day, the total page count is
    > still not high so I presume the mechanics of the printer will still be in
    > good order.

    fixyourownprinter.com has replacement fuser assemblies for $US69.95.

    http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/search/center?q=hp laserjet iii

    Cheers, Liam

    Liam Greenwood, May 24, 2006