Laserjet 4P

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Angela Marsh, Mar 14, 2007.

  1. Angela Marsh

    Angela Marsh Guest

    My Laserjet 4P just stopped working right after all these years, it's
    printing a couple of pages of junk instead of a map from Google Maps. When
    I try to print a page from word, it does the same thing.

    Is there a free diagnostic anywhere that can tell me if it's the paralell
    port or the actual printer that have gone bad, and what the problem may
    be?
     
    Angela Marsh, Mar 14, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Angela Marsh

    Ghostrider Guest

    Angela Marsh wrote:
    > My Laserjet 4P just stopped working right after all these years, it's
    > printing a couple of pages of junk instead of a map from Google Maps. When
    > I try to print a page from word, it does the same thing.
    >
    > Is there a free diagnostic anywhere that can tell me if it's the paralell
    > port or the actual printer that have gone bad, and what the problem may
    > be?
    >
    >


    Turn off the HP LaserJet 4P. Turn back on and run the onboard diagnostic
    program or the self-test program. The printout should be clean. If not,
    then the there are internal problems with the printer. If the printout is
    clean, take printer off-line and re-start the computer. Verify that LPT1
    is set for bi-directional or EPP operation. Run Print Test Page via the
    printer's applet. If print test is flawed, the HP printer drivers need
    to be re-installed...using the driver files from the Windows installation
    cdrom.
     
    Ghostrider, Mar 14, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Angela Marsh wrote:

    > My Laserjet 4P just stopped working right after all these years, it's
    > printing a couple of pages of junk instead of a map from Google Maps. When
    > I try to print a page from word, it does the same thing.
    >
    > Is there a free diagnostic anywhere that can tell me if it's the paralell
    > port or the actual printer that have gone bad, and what the problem may
    > be?


    I think the 4P, like the 4M, has a lcd panel with menu and option keys. You
    may try to print out a configuration page, does that one come clear or as
    garbage?
    --
    vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse found penguin patterns
    on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
    incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    Linux 2.6.17-mm1,Xorg7.1/nvidia [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
     
    Walter Mautner, Mar 14, 2007
    #3
  4. Angela Marsh

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 16:49:02 -0500, Angela Marsh wrote:

    > My Laserjet 4P just stopped working right after all these years, it's
    > printing a couple of pages of junk instead of a map from Google Maps. When
    > I try to print a page from word, it does the same thing.
    >
    > Is there a free diagnostic anywhere that can tell me if it's the paralell
    > port or the actual printer that have gone bad, and what the problem may
    > be?


    Did you verify that the 4P is your default printer?

    --
    Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004

    COOSN-266-06-25794
     
    Meat Plow, Mar 14, 2007
    #4
  5. Angela Marsh

    Angela Marsh Guest

    Ghostrider <-00-@fitron.142> wrote :

    >
    > Angela Marsh wrote:
    >> My Laserjet 4P just stopped working right after all these years,
    >> it's printing a couple of pages of junk instead of a map from Google
    >> Maps. When I try to print a page from word, it does the same thing.
    >>
    >> Is there a free diagnostic anywhere that can tell me if it's the
    >> paralell port or the actual printer that have gone bad, and what the
    >> problem may be?
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Turn off the HP LaserJet 4P. Turn back on and run the onboard
    > diagnostic program or the self-test program. The printout should be
    > clean.


    Printed out a test page just fine.

    > If not, then the there are internal problems with the printer.
    > If the printout is clean, take printer off-line and re-start the
    > computer.


    Tried all that, even shutting all the power off to everything and
    restarting it all.

    > Verify that LPT1 is set for bi-directional or EPP
    > operation.


    Yes, nothing changed with that.

    > Run Print Test Page via the printer's applet. If print
    > test is flawed, the HP printer drivers need to be
    > re-installed...using the driver files from the Windows installation
    > cdrom.


    May have to do that.
     
    Angela Marsh, Mar 14, 2007
    #5
  6. Angela Marsh

    Angela Marsh Guest

    Meat Plow <> wrote :

    > On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 16:49:02 -0500, Angela Marsh wrote:
    >
    >> My Laserjet 4P just stopped working right after all these years,
    >> it's printing a couple of pages of junk instead of a map from Google
    >> Maps. When I try to print a page from word, it does the same thing.
    >>
    >> Is there a free diagnostic anywhere that can tell me if it's the
    >> paralell port or the actual printer that have gone bad, and what the
    >> problem may be?

    >
    > Did you verify that the 4P is your default printer?
    >


    Oh yeah, nothing changed there.
     
    Angela Marsh, Mar 14, 2007
    #6
  7. Angela Marsh

    Angela Marsh Guest

    Walter Mautner <> wrote :

    > Angela Marsh wrote:
    >
    >> My Laserjet 4P just stopped working right after all these years,
    >> it's printing a couple of pages of junk instead of a map from Google
    >> Maps. When I try to print a page from word, it does the same thing.
    >>
    >> Is there a free diagnostic anywhere that can tell me if it's the
    >> paralell port or the actual printer that have gone bad, and what the
    >> problem may be?

    >
    > I think the 4P, like the 4M, has a lcd panel with menu and option
    > keys. You may try to print out a configuration page, does that one
    > come clear or as garbage?



    That was fine. Maybe a parallel port problem?
     
    Angela Marsh, Mar 14, 2007
    #7
  8. Angela Marsh

    carlechka Guest

    "Angela Marsh" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns98F3B668D2821VoiceFreedomfreedomn@216.196.97.142...
    > Meat Plow <> wrote :
    >
    >> On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 16:49:02 -0500, Angela Marsh wrote:
    >>
    >>> My Laserjet 4P just stopped working right after all these years,
    >>> it's printing a couple of pages of junk instead of a map from Google
    >>> Maps. When I try to print a page from word, it does the same thing.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a free diagnostic anywhere that can tell me if it's the
    >>> paralell port or the actual printer that have gone bad, and what the
    >>> problem may be?

    >>
    >> Did you verify that the 4P is your default printer?
    >>

    >
    > Oh yeah, nothing changed there.


    New cartridge??
     
    carlechka, Mar 15, 2007
    #8
  9. Angela Marsh wrote:

    > Walter Mautner <> wrote :

    .....
    >> I think the 4P, like the 4M, has a lcd panel with menu and option
    >> keys. You may try to print out a configuration page, does that one
    >> come clear or as garbage?

    >
    >
    > That was fine. Maybe a parallel port problem?


    Looks like that. Now if you can take another computer where you made sure
    the bios parallel port settings are just plain bidirectional (don't mess
    with ecp, epp yet, since your printer might not understand the protocol)
    and which preferrably has a "builtin" -to the os - driver, to try out?
    Your computer giving the problems - you have deleted all remaining print
    requests from the queue, then powered down?
    You may as well look into bios setting (parallel port - properties) for
    changes due to cosmic rays or a weak cmos battey :)
    If everything else fails, is the parallel port module changeable or you may
    even get hold of a 2nd hand jetdirect insert?
    --
    vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse found penguin patterns
    on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
    incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    Linux 2.6.17-mm1,Xorg7.1/nvidia [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
     
    Walter Mautner, Mar 15, 2007
    #9
  10. Angela Marsh

    Angela Marsh Guest

    "carlechka" <> wrote :

    >
    > "Angela Marsh" <> wrote in message
    > news:Xns98F3B668D2821VoiceFreedomfreedomn@216.196.97.142...
    >> Meat Plow <> wrote :
    >>
    >>> On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 16:49:02 -0500, Angela Marsh wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> My Laserjet 4P just stopped working right after all these years,
    >>>> it's printing a couple of pages of junk instead of a map from

    Google
    >>>> Maps. When I try to print a page from word, it does the same thing.
    >>>>
    >>>> Is there a free diagnostic anywhere that can tell me if it's the
    >>>> paralell port or the actual printer that have gone bad, and what

    the
    >>>> problem may be?
    >>>
    >>> Did you verify that the 4P is your default printer?
    >>>

    >>
    >> Oh yeah, nothing changed there.

    >
    > New cartridge??


    No it is fairly new. The printer self test prints a good page.

    So I wonder if it may be the parallel stuff inside the printer or in the
    parallel card on the mother board or in the card slot ( forget which ).
     
    Angela Marsh, Mar 15, 2007
    #10
  11. Angela Marsh

    Angela Marsh Guest

    Walter Mautner <> wrote :

    > Angela Marsh wrote:
    >
    >> Walter Mautner <> wrote :

    > ....
    >>> I think the 4P, like the 4M, has a lcd panel with menu and option
    >>> keys. You may try to print out a configuration page, does that one
    >>> come clear or as garbage?

    >>
    >>
    >> That was fine. Maybe a parallel port problem?

    >
    > Looks like that. Now if you can take another computer where you made
    > sure the bios parallel port settings are just plain bidirectional
    > (don't mess with ecp, epp yet, since your printer might not
    > understand the protocol) and which preferrably has a "builtin" -to
    > the os - driver, to try out? Your computer giving the problems - you
    > have deleted all remaining print requests from the queue, then
    > powered down? You may as well look into bios setting (parallel port -
    > properties) for changes due to cosmic rays or a weak cmos battey :)
    > If everything else fails, is the parallel port module changeable or
    > you may even get hold of a 2nd hand jetdirect insert?


    Oops, may have erred about the test being ok. Look at alt.binaries.comp
    Printer test Laserjet 4P - 1 attachment

    Though the top of the page printed ok, look how the alphabet turns to
    junk at the bottom half.

    What caused that?
     
    Angela Marsh, Mar 15, 2007
    #11
  12. Angela Marsh

    Ghostrider Guest

    Angela Marsh wrote:

    <<snipped>>

    > Oops, may have erred about the test being ok. Look at alt.binaries.comp
    > Printer test Laserjet 4P - 1 attachment
    >
    > Though the top of the page printed ok, look how the alphabet turns to
    > junk at the bottom half.
    >
    > What caused that?
    >
    >
    >


    The printer self-test is normal. This indicates that the printer, itself,
    is operating OK. The problem of jibberish printing is going to be in the
    computer itself --- printer driver, LPT1 printer port or the printer cable.
    From the Printers applet in Control Panel, to a "Print Test Page" to check
    out this part of printing from a computer.

    Also, this printer has only 2 MB of RAM installed. This is not enough to
    be printing complex graphics such as maps. In switching from an aborted
    printing job such as with the Google maps, doing a re-set of the printer
    usually flushes the garbage out of its cache before the next job.
     
    Ghostrider, Mar 16, 2007
    #12
  13. Angela Marsh

    Angela Marsh Guest

    Ghostrider <-00-@fitron.142> wrote :

    >
    > Angela Marsh wrote:
    >
    ><<snipped>>
    >
    >> Oops, may have erred about the test being ok. Look at
    >> alt.binaries.comp Printer test Laserjet 4P - 1 attachment
    >>
    >> Though the top of the page printed ok, look how the alphabet turns
    >> to junk at the bottom half.
    >>
    >> What caused that?
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    > The printer self-test is normal. This indicates that the printer,
    > itself, is operating OK. The problem of jibberish printing is going
    > to be in the computer itself --- printer driver, LPT1 printer port or
    > the printer cable.
    > From the Printers applet in Control Panel, to a "Print Test Page" to
    > check
    > out this part of printing from a computer.


    Such an option doesn't appear to be available in my XP Home Edition
    here.

    > Also, this printer has only 2 MB of RAM installed. This is not enough
    > to be printing complex graphics such as maps.


    It must use Windows as a buffer or something, it's been doing it for
    years. I've had this printer since 1989, with only cartridge changes and
    no other work on it, can you believe that? I hope it's still working,
    though can't exactly expect that at this point. HP used to build some
    amazing stuff.

    > In switching from an
    > aborted printing job such as with the Google maps, doing a re-set of
    > the printer usually flushes the garbage out of its cache before the
    > next job.


    I never had any aborted jobs before. I've been using it for Google Maps,
    Streets & Trips, even AutoCAD, for years.

    It just started doing this when I originally posted here about it.
     
    Angela Marsh, Mar 16, 2007
    #13
  14. Angela Marsh

    GHalleck Guest

    Angela Marsh wrote:

    <<snipped>>

    >> From the Printers applet in Control Panel, to a "Print Test Page" to
    >> check
    >>out this part of printing from a computer.

    >
    >
    > Such an option doesn't appear to be available in my XP Home Edition
    > here.
    >
    >


    Looks like a typo here. To perform a "Print Test Page" from Windows,
    open Control Panel and then Printers. Right click on the icon for the
    LaserJet 4P to open Properties. Under the General tab, there should be
    a button that says "Print Test Page". Click on it. How does the page
    look after it comes out of the LaserJet 4P?
     
    GHalleck, Mar 16, 2007
    #14
  15. Angela Marsh

    Angela Marsh Guest

    GHalleck <> wrote :

    >
    >
    > Angela Marsh wrote:
    >
    ><<snipped>>
    >
    >>> From the Printers applet in Control Panel, to a "Print Test Page" to
    >>> check
    >>>out this part of printing from a computer.

    >>
    >>
    >> Such an option doesn't appear to be available in my XP Home Edition
    >> here.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Looks like a typo here. To perform a "Print Test Page" from Windows,
    > open Control Panel and then Printers. Right click on the icon for the
    > LaserJet 4P to open Properties. Under the General tab, there should be
    > a button that says "Print Test Page". Click on it. How does the page
    > look after it comes out of the LaserJet 4P?
    >


    I get the same results as printing a Word page that way, 2 pages of
    gibberish in a single line at the top of each. Must be either the
    interface card or the input interface in the printer itself. Oh well...

    Just fired up a new Canon MF3240 last night. Wow! SO much faster, and
    with all the other goodies.
     
    Angela Marsh, Mar 17, 2007
    #15
  16. Angela Marsh

    J-McC Guest

    By doing the following you will easily determine if it is a windows,
    and hardware, or hardware only problem. Forget worrying about
    corrupted print drivers, spool files, computer memory etc at this
    stage untill you do this.

    To confirm the printer port is ok I would suggest you make a bootable
    floppy (format with system option for floppy). Then boot the computer
    up in DOS mode from the floppy.
    You should now have a computer running in good old DOS mode and
    hopefully a prompt like
    a:>.
    Now simply type this "dir a:\ >lpt1:" without quotes and when you have
    typed it in then press the enter key. Watch the printer immediately
    after you press the enter key, you should see a green led indicating a
    data transfer then press the GO button on the printer. This should
    make the printer startup and eject a page with a directory listing of
    what is on the floppy.

    "dir a:\ >lpt1:" then press the enter key

    If this prints correctly and does not have weird characters printed
    the your print port, cable and the printer port on the printer would
    seem to be ok. On the other hand if you find you get some or all text
    is garbled then you have a hardware, print port, cable or printer
    interface problem.
    If all this garbage happens then to confirm if the priner and or cable
    is faulty take your floppy, printer and print cable to a friend's
    place and repeat this on their computer.

    Considering the cost of new Laser printers (I recently bought a
    Brother 2040 laser for $aud 89.00 which had a usb and a Centronics
    36pin connector for the parallel port) if it turns out to be the
    printer just replace it, this will be the most cost effective
    solution.

    If it turns out to be the printer port on the computer then this will
    indicate a mainboard fault and you may be able to disable the print
    port in the Bios and purchase a replacement LPT (PCI) or (ISA
    interface card if the main board is quite old). They are quite cheap
    (about $aud 25.00-$aud30.00) and then install it and run the software
    cd or disk that comes with the replacement print card.
    Good Luck.
    J McC
    =======================================================

    On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 19:51:15 -0500, Angela Marsh
    <> wrote:

    >GHalleck <> wrote :
    >
    >>
    >>
    >> Angela Marsh wrote:
    >>
    >><<snipped>>
    >>
    >>>> From the Printers applet in Control Panel, to a "Print Test Page" to
    >>>> check
    >>>>out this part of printing from a computer.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Such an option doesn't appear to be available in my XP Home Edition
    >>> here.
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> Looks like a typo here. To perform a "Print Test Page" from Windows,
    >> open Control Panel and then Printers. Right click on the icon for the
    >> LaserJet 4P to open Properties. Under the General tab, there should be
    >> a button that says "Print Test Page". Click on it. How does the page
    >> look after it comes out of the LaserJet 4P?
    >>

    >
    >I get the same results as printing a Word page that way, 2 pages of
    >gibberish in a single line at the top of each. Must be either the
    >interface card or the input interface in the printer itself. Oh well...
    >
    >Just fired up a new Canon MF3240 last night. Wow! SO much faster, and
    >with all the other goodies.
    >
    >
    >
     
    J-McC, May 8, 2007
    #16
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Paul
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    609
  2. Dr. Compynei

    HP Laserjet 4P

    Dr. Compynei, Dec 10, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    3,319
    SgtMinor
    Dec 11, 2003
  3. Peter B

    Re: HP Laserjet 4

    Peter B, Jan 9, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,226
    Peter B
    Jan 10, 2004
  4. bmcky

    Cleaning an HP Laserjet 5?

    bmcky, Apr 4, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    9,568
    swfoster
    Oct 18, 2010
  5. teacka

    HP LaserJet 4 problem

    teacka, May 5, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    520
    ZachICU
    May 5, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page