LaserJet 1320 - first with, now without driver-support

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Bernd Leutenecker, Apr 23, 2006.

  1. Hello!

    In december 2005 I was looking for a new
    printer to use with my Athlon 64 with XP-64
    (with all patches etc.).

    I decided to buy a Hewlett Packard LaserJet 1320.
    Of course I checked before if there is a driver
    for XP-64. On their website HP wrote 'driver
    only', but this would not be a problem because
    a drive is just what I would need, not any extra
    software (like the tomcat-webserver they install
    on PCs with XP-32).

    After I have bought and received that printer I
    had to learn that there is no real driver
    available yet, although the website did not tell
    me that. HP-support told me to use another
    printers driver - but I had to find out myself
    which driver I could use. Now I am able to print
    with a LJ 1220-driver - but only with 600 dpi
    instead of 1200 dpi and without being able to
    use the duplexer-unit of my 1320.

    I subscribed to the appropriate HP-newsletter as
    recommended by the HP-support but never received
    any information about that printer and the still
    missing XP-64-driver.
    That is why I checked again the drivers-page for
    the HP LJ 1320 in the first days of April 2006.
    Now there is a new information (as of march 31 or
    march 30, 2006): On a connected HP-webpage about
    HP-printers without XP-64-support now the LaserJet
    1320 is listed too!

    Now I have got a not really cheap printer because
    I believed in HP's statement on their own web-
    pages about the available printer-drivers (and
    that is why so many shops still use that outdated
    information about this printer) - but I am not
    able to properly use that printer!

    Of course I complained about this at HP - but the
    only reaction was an e-mail in which they asked me
    to send them the serial-number of my printer.

    I am very disappointed and angry! It seems that I
    will have to try to sell that printer (presumably
    loosing a lot of money) and search for another one
    with real support for XP-64. Or I will have to buy
    XP-32 and stop using XP-64.

    But maybe there is somebody who could name me a
    HP-printer with XP-64-drivers that will work
    with a 1320 (allowing me to use 1200 dpi and the
    duplexer unit)?! Or maybe there exists a non-
    HP-driver I could use?!

    Thank you!

    Bernd Leutenecker

    Bernd Leutenecker, Apr 23, 2006

  2. Bernd Leutenecker

    LDJ Guest

    Bernd Leutenecker wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > In december 2005 I was looking for a new
    > printer to use with my Athlon 64 with XP-64
    > (with all patches etc.).
    >
    > I decided to buy a Hewlett Packard LaserJet 1320.
    > Of course I checked before if there is a driver
    > for XP-64. On their website HP wrote 'driver
    > only', but this would not be a problem because
    > a drive is just what I would need, not any extra
    > software (like the tomcat-webserver they install
    > on PCs with XP-32).
    >

    > But maybe there is somebody who could name me a
    > HP-printer with XP-64-drivers that will work
    > with a 1320 (allowing me to use 1200 dpi and the
    > duplexer unit)?! Or maybe there exists a non-
    > HP-driver I could use?!

    I performed a search on PlanetAMD64, and found this msg from "attosecond":

    My Laserjet 1320 works beautifully with the Laserjet 4000 driver that
    comes with the OS distribution. If you have the duplexer installed, that
    works too... just add it to the installed options on your "Laserjet
    4000" and your duplexer will work. The only thing I'm lacking is the
    bloated Java applet that notifies me when I'm running low on paper. No
    big loss--I can tell when I'm out of paper without some little popup
    bothering me about it.

    --------------------------------- //-----------------------------------

    You can see the msg here:
    http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=17829&hl=laserjet 1320

    --
    Kind Regards
    LDJ

    LDJ, Apr 23, 2006

  3. Hi!

    Thanks for the advice. First it didn't work out,
    but I was using the Dot4-port. Now I switched
    to LPT and it seems to work just fine, including
    duplexer and 1200 dpi! So - thanks a lot!

    But hey - why isn't HP able to find out this on
    their own, to support their customers - especially
    when they first tell you that they offer a fitting
    driver?

    And just another thing: Before asking in this
    newsgroup I tried to find information about
    drivers for my LaserJet 1320 (and my older Agfa
    SnapScan e52-Scanner) on PlanetAMD64 using the
    search-function - but I wasn't lucky. OK, I just
    did it again and checked now every page found.
    Again all first pages didn't come up with any
    helpful information, but then I found the advice
    on using the LJ 4000 PCL6-driver:
    http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t9686.html
    (I wasn't lucky on my scanner though ...)

    Again: Thank you very much!

    Bernd Leutenecker

    +++

    Bernd Leutenecker, Apr 26, 2006