    A friend of mine wants to convert his LD's to DVD's, for playing in his
    laptop when he's away from home.

    What kind of software, other stuff do you need to do that?

    Stan Jensen, Jul 28, 2004

  2. Stan Jensen wrote:

    > A friend of mine wants to convert his LD's to DVD's, for playing in his
    > laptop when he's away from home.
    >
    > What kind of software, other stuff do you need to do that?

    Just buy a home recorder - push Play on the LD player,
    Record on the recorder, Stop on both when done, finalize
    the disc and you're finished.

    Write me, or have your friend write me, if there are
    any questions I can answer.

    drc :)

    Darrel Christenson, Jul 28, 2004

  3. Stan Jensen

    Marci Guest

    Darrel Christenson wrote:
    > Stan Jensen wrote:
    >
    >> A friend of mine wants to convert his LD's to DVD's, for playing in his
    >> laptop when he's away from home.
    >>
    >> What kind of software, other stuff do you need to do that?

    > Just buy a home recorder - push Play on the LD player,
    > Record on the recorder, Stop on both when done, finalize
    > the disc and you're finished.
    >
    > Write me, or have your friend write me, if there are
    > any questions I can answer.
    >

    > drc :)

    I'm using a Go-Video VHS/DVD recorder that I picked up and it really is
    as easy as Darell says.

    I'm loving every single minute of watching some of these older movies
    that I haven't watched in years! Wish I had done this sooner.

    Marci, Jul 28, 2004
  4. Stan Jensen

    DVDfanatico Guest

    >Darrel Christenson >Just buy a home recorder -
    push Play on the LD player,
    >Record on the recorder, Stop on both when done, finalize
    >the disc and you're finished.
    >
    >Write me, or have your friend write me, if there are
    >any questions I can answer.
    >

    >drc :)

    I own the GoVideo 3930 DVD-Recorder/VCR and it works REALLY well. It
    automatically inserts chapter marks every 3, 6, 9, or 12 minutes for VHS to DVD
    recording. I'll probably hook up my laser player to its A/V inputs to make
    back-up copies of my discs. I only wish it had VCR+.

    Go to www.govideo.com
    -DVDfanatico

    DVDfanatico, Jul 28, 2004
  5. Stan Jensen

    robert gray Guest

    Hi, slightly offtopic, since I'd like to use a standalone recorder to
    transfer my hi8 tapes: Assuming I use the highest-quality recording
    speed (i.e, 1 hour per dvd), do standalone recorders use any form of
    data compression? Thanks!

    robert gray, Jul 28, 2004
  6. On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Stan Jensen wrote:

    > A friend of mine wants to convert his LD's to DVD's, for playing in his
    > laptop when he's away from home.
    >
    > What kind of software, other stuff do you need to do that?

    I had to buy a card (Adaptec VideOH! I think) that would convert analog
    video input (S-VHS, composite, coaxial) to digital files. It came with all
    the software I needed, although the programs are a bit convoluted.

    So far I've made copies of the original Star Wars films (the first
    editions) and the widescreen director's cut of Pat Garrett and Billy the
    Kid. They've turned out okay, although obviously when you go over 2 hours,
    the quality begins to decline.

    Next up, making copies of things I know will likely *not* appear on DVD
    any time soon, like the MGM Forbidden Hollywood titles.

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Jul 28, 2004
  7. Stan Jensen

    Biz Guest

    "robert gray" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, slightly offtopic, since I'd like to use a standalone recorder to
    > transfer my hi8 tapes: Assuming I use the highest-quality recording
    > speed (i.e, 1 hour per dvd), do standalone recorders use any form of
    > data compression? Thanks!

    Its all done in mpeg 1 or 2 video, which is compressed...

    Biz, Jul 28, 2004
  8. Stan Jensen

    Shinner Guest

    Darrel Christenson <> wrote in

    > Just buy a home recorder - push Play on the LD player,
    > Record on the recorder, Stop on both when done, finalize
    > the disc and you're finished.

    Only problem I've had with this using my Pioneer recorder is that when I
    flip the LD and restart it, the recorder sees it as a new "title". When I
    go to author, it won't let me join the 2 titles (i.e. side a, side b) and I
    end up with a pause when the burned DVD is played back. Not found a way
    around this other than to take the burned DVD, put it in the PC, rip the
    files to the hard drive and reauthor the disc on the PC.

    Shinner, Jul 28, 2004
  9. Shinner wrote:

    > Only problem I've had with this using my Pioneer recorder is that when I
    > flip the LD and restart it, the recorder sees it as a new "title"

    If you had a Panny you just push Pause while the head
    flips around to the other side of the disc or you are
    doing it manually - one "program" with possibly a
    spli second of black that doesn't look much different
    than a scene change in some movies.

    Darrel :)

    Darrel Christenson, Jul 28, 2004
  10. Stan Jensen

    > If you had a Panny you just push Pause

    tried it...no better.

    > while the head
    > flips around to the other side of the disc or you are
    > doing it manually

    my LD player is basic, not an auto-flipper

    Shinner, Jul 29, 2004
  11. Shinner wrote:

    >>If you had a Panny you just push Pause

    > tried it...no better.

    Well I have one and it works flawlessly, have copied
    hundreds of LDs using it and I end up with a single
    program.

    drc :)

    Darrel Christenson, Jul 29, 2004
  12. Stan Jensen

    > Well I have one and it works flawlessly

    fat lot of good that does me :)

    Shinner, Jul 29, 2004
  13. Stan Jensen

    poldy Guest

    In article <Xns9534A5497FD06shinnerearthlinknet@207.69.154.201>,
    Shinner <> wrote:

    > Darrel Christenson <> wrote in
    >
    > > Just buy a home recorder - push Play on the LD player,
    > > Record on the recorder, Stop on both when done, finalize
    > > the disc and you're finished.

    > Only problem I've had with this using my Pioneer recorder is that when I
    > flip the LD and restart it, the recorder sees it as a new "title". When I
    > go to author, it won't let me join the 2 titles (i.e. side a, side b) and I
    > end up with a pause when the burned DVD is played back. Not found a way
    > around this other than to take the burned DVD, put it in the PC, rip the
    > files to the hard drive and reauthor the disc on the PC.

    Anyone try to rip the commentaries on some CAV discs and then mux them
    together so you have a commentary track on the resulting DVD?

    poldy, Jul 29, 2004