    Whether you are a brilliant flame or
    but a tiny spark matters not-for the world
    needs whatever portion of light is yours to give.

    Clint S., Dec 18, 2006

  2. <Clint S.> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I know we've all had this discussion before but, I have a friend that
    > wants
    > to print-out his pictures taken with his Nikon D2X. He's leaning in the
    > direction of a 9 color inkjet but I think he should consider a color
    > laser.(For cost reasons) I would appreciate any and all comments and
    > direction you can send my way to help him in his decision.

    Color lasers are not very good for photographs.

    Charles Schuler, Dec 18, 2006

  3. Clint S.

    Cynicor Guest

    Charles Schuler wrote:
    > <Clint S.> wrote in message
    >> Hi Folks,
    >>
    >> I know we've all had this discussion before but, I have a friend that
    >> wants
    >> to print-out his pictures taken with his Nikon D2X. He's leaning in the
    >> direction of a 9 color inkjet but I think he should consider a color
    >> laser.(For cost reasons) I would appreciate any and all comments and
    >> direction you can send my way to help him in his decision.

    > Color lasers are not very good for photographs.

    The dynamic range on a color laser is very limited compared with even my
    $100 OfficeJet. They don't print on glossy. (There's laser "glossy"
    paper that's not glossy.) There's a significant difference in the
    quality of the two types of printers, and it's not one of those "you'd
    have to be an expert to tell the difference" deals either.

    Cynicor, Dec 18, 2006
  4. Clint S.

    jeremy Guest

    <Clint S.> wrote in message
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I know we've all had this discussion before but, I have a friend that
    > wants
    > to print-out his pictures taken with his Nikon D2X. He's leaning in the
    > direction of a 9 color inkjet but I think he should consider a color
    > laser.(For cost reasons) I would appreciate any and all comments and
    > direction you can send my way to help him in his decision.

    IF the budget does not allow for an excellent printer, and if it is not
    absolutely essential that you have your prints at once, consider uploading
    the images to www.dalelabs.com. You will receive real photo prints, on real
    silver halide paper, just like back in the film days. I prefer these so
    much over inkjet prints that I do not bother owning an inkjet printer at
    all.

    The only drawback is that you must wait for the prints to arrive by mail.

    jeremy, Dec 18, 2006
  5. Clint S.

    Clint S. Guest

    On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:16:15 -0500, Cynicor
    <> wrote:

    >Charles Schuler wrote:
    >> <Clint S.> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Folks,
    >>>
    >>> I know we've all had this discussion before but, I have a friend that
    >>> wants
    >>> to print-out his pictures taken with his Nikon D2X. He's leaning in the
    >>> direction of a 9 color inkjet but I think he should consider a color
    >>> laser.(For cost reasons) I would appreciate any and all comments and
    >>> direction you can send my way to help him in his decision.

    >> Color lasers are not very good for photographs.

    >The dynamic range on a color laser is very limited compared with even my
    >$100 OfficeJet. They don't print on glossy. (There's laser "glossy"
    >paper that's not glossy.) There's a significant difference in the
    >quality of the two types of printers, and it's not one of those "you'd
    >have to be an expert to tell the difference" deals either.

    My concern is that he won't be happy down the road with the cost per print
    because of the high priced ink tanks that hold very little ink. My
    suggestion to him was to look into sub-dye or color laser printers however
    I'm not sure what kind of quality the newer color lasers are producing.
    I've read some reviews online that suggest that the newer color lasers are
    pretty dang close to the more expensive 9 tank ink-jets and cost far less
    down the road to maintain.

    Your Portion Of Light

    Clint S., Dec 18, 2006
  6. "jeremy" <> writes:

    >IF the budget does not allow for an excellent printer, and if it is not
    >absolutely essential that you have your prints at once, consider uploading
    >the images to www.dalelabs.com. You will receive real photo prints, on real
    >silver halide paper, just like back in the film days. I prefer these so
    >much over inkjet prints that I do not bother owning an inkjet printer at
    >all.

    >The only drawback is that you must wait for the prints to arrive by mail.

    Not necessarily. Many of the local photo-oriented stores (this is
    Vancouver BC) now accept images for printing on their minilab
    electronically. You can upload images to their website, or take a
    CD-R or flash media to the store in person to get the data into their
    system. They print, and you can pick them up in person (or have them
    mailed).

    For the place I've used, turnaround is usually a few hours for 4x6
    prints. They claim a day for large prints. Still not as fast as owning
    your own printer, but good enough for many purposes.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Dec 18, 2006
  7. <Clint S.> wrote in message
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I know we've all had this discussion before but, I have a friend that
    > wants
    > to print-out his pictures taken with his Nikon D2X. He's leaning in the
    > direction of a 9 color inkjet but I think he should consider a color
    > laser.(For cost reasons) I would appreciate any and all comments and
    > direction you can send my way to help him in his decision.

    If he can afford a D2x, he can afford a good inkjet...

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Dec 18, 2006
  8. Clint S.

    jeremy Guest

    "Dave Martindale" <> wrote in message
    > "jeremy" <> writes:
    >
    >>IF the budget does not allow for an excellent printer, and if it is not
    >>absolutely essential that you have your prints at once, consider uploading
    >>the images to www.dalelabs.com. You will receive real photo prints, on
    >>real
    >>silver halide paper, just like back in the film days. I prefer these so
    >>much over inkjet prints that I do not bother owning an inkjet printer at
    >>all.

    >>The only drawback is that you must wait for the prints to arrive by mail.

    > Not necessarily. Many of the local photo-oriented stores (this is
    > Vancouver BC) now accept images for printing on their minilab
    > electronically. You can upload images to their website, or take a
    > CD-R or flash media to the store in person to get the data into their
    > system. They print, and you can pick them up in person (or have them
    > mailed).
    >
    > For the place I've used, turnaround is usually a few hours for 4x6
    > prints. They claim a day for large prints. Still not as fast as owning
    > your own printer, but good enough for many purposes.
    >
    > Dave

    I've tried local printing at a few places, and I was dissatisfied with the
    results vs. online printers that process at their own location and send the
    prints to me by mail.

    jeremy, Dec 18, 2006
  9. Clint S.

    Lars Forslin Guest

    I think a colir laser can be good for many purposes, and for everyday use I
    think they are quite satisfying. It depends on if we are talking high
    quality prints or not. There are several advantages with a color laser,
    speed and cost are two big ones. With a color laser you don't need expensive
    paper.
    Besides, inkjets are so cheap nowadays that you can get both and use the
    inkjet for extra luxury purposes, like large prints for framing and such.
    I think the Xerox 6120 is an excellent printer, it has also got PostScript
    if you need to proof stuff for offset printing.
    http://www.office.xerox.com/color-printers/phaser-6120/enus.html
    Otherwise Minoltas look-alike is probably as good and cheaper.

    /Lars

    Lars Forslin, Dec 19, 2006
  10. Clint S.

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    <Clint S.> wrote in message
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I know we've all had this discussion before but, I have a friend that
    > wants
    > to print-out his pictures taken with his Nikon D2X. He's leaning in the
    > direction of a 9 color inkjet but I think he should consider a color
    > laser.(For cost reasons) I would appreciate any and all comments and
    > direction you can send my way to help him in his decision.

    If he's hell bent on a color laser, have him sell the D2X since he won't be
    getting the most out of it. Cololr lasers are OK, but not even close to the
    quality of even a low price ink jet. This is a no-brainer.

    Kinon O'Cann, Dec 19, 2006
  11. Clint S.

    Matt Ion Guest

    Clint S. wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I know we've all had this discussion before but, I have a friend that wants
    > to print-out his pictures taken with his Nikon D2X. He's leaning in the
    > direction of a 9 color inkjet but I think he should consider a color
    > laser.(For cost reasons) I would appreciate any and all comments and
    > direction you can send my way to help him in his decision.

    Laser printers aren't suitable for photographic printing by the very nature of
    how they work - they don't provide anywhere near the same resolution in color,
    and they don't blend colors well, since each color is printed and fused
    separately. They're great for color GRAPHICS, but not for photos. Cost isn't a
    consideration, because I can pretty much guarantee he won't be happy with the
    outcome.

    But if he really wants to be sure, tell him to take his pictures to a store like
    Staples or something, where they sell both, and have the store do some demo
    prints for him - the difference be obvious very quickly.

    Matt Ion, Dec 19, 2006
  12. Clint S.

    tomm42 Guest

    On Dec 18, 4:09 pm, Clint S. <> wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I know we've all had this discussion before but, I have a friend that wants
    > to print-out his pictures taken with his Nikon D2X. He's leaning in the
    > direction of a 9 color inkjet but I think he should consider a color
    > laser.(For cost reasons) I would appreciate any and all comments and
    > direction you can send my way to help him in his decision.
    >
    > Thanks Much!!
    >
    > Clint
    >
    > Your Portion Of Light

    Lasers are poor for color printing mostly because of the way they put
    colors on paper, by dithering, the size of the dithering is so large it
    is very visible. TRhe minimal laser is the Xerox Paser series, and to
    print photos with these you need a lot of memory which isn't cheap.
    Even the top end lasers can't compete with low end inkjets.
    If your friend is using a D2X he needs a serious printer. Start looking
    at the HP B9180, uses ink tanks, 33ml, and has replaceable heads. There
    is a review on Luminos Landscape. A step up from that would be the
    Canon Ipf5000 and the Epson 4800, both use ink tanks and print to
    17inches x any length, again check Luminos Landscape for reviews. The
    minimal printers are the Epson R1800 or Epson 2400, but both have the
    hassle of little cartridges, the HP B9180 should have lower ink costs
    for about the same initial price. I used to do large format printing
    commercially, I have to say good inkjet printer have gotten quite easy
    to use since I bought my big printer 8 years ago. profiles are
    available for most papers, the printers are self calibrating, all good
    stuff. Right now my choices would be 1. Canon Ipf5000, HP B9180, and
    the Epson 4800. The only reason the Epson is last is it can't handle
    both glossy and fine art papers without dumping ink.
    Costs, inkjets vary between $1.25 and $2 per 8x10, I would say the
    Epson 2400 and R1800 maybe a little more. Get the best buy you can on
    brand name inks, no nmae inks are not worth the hassle and they often
    screw up profiles etc. A good place for inks is Atlantic Exchange,
    www.atlex.com.

    Good luck
    Tom

    tomm42, Dec 19, 2006
  13. Clint S.

    Aaron Guest

    And lo, Clint S <> emerged from the ether
    and spake thus:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I know we've all had this discussion before but, I have a friend that wants
    > to print-out his pictures taken with his Nikon D2X. He's leaning in the
    > direction of a 9 color inkjet but I think he should consider a color
    > laser.(For cost reasons) I would appreciate any and all comments and
    > direction you can send my way to help him in his decision.
    >
    > Thanks Much!!
    >
    > Clint

    For *cost* reasons? Can he be serious? A 9-color inkjet is much more
    cost-effective than a laser printer, at least for the first few
    hundred prints, just by virtue of the start-up cost for a laser
    printer that would even come *close* to the quality of an inkjet (and
    those are few and far between, especially in the consumer arena.)

    The only non-inkjet printers that can produce respectable photo output
    are: dye sublimation printers (basically ink jet technology but with a
    twist, and costly), so-called "wax jet" or artistic wax printers such
    as the venerable Phaser (now owned by Xerox), which are costly to buy
    and to operate, and of course the completely unattainable Giclee,
    which would be absurd to own for home use, unless your friend is
    moderately wealthy and somewhat of a spendthrift.

    There are printers to suit every need within the Canon and Epson
    lines, some of which I've used, others of which I haven't, but overall
    the price/performance ratio of inkjet is hardly anything to laugh at.

    Notes on cost:

    1. Always use your printer's branded ink. Third-party inks are a waste
    of time and money. It may appear to be a cost savings, and they
    will claim their performance is comparable, but they're full of
    @#$*.

    2. By sticking with Canon/Epson, your friend will be able to
    experiment with third-party artistic inkjet papers tested for those
    major brands and available from such fine shops as Red River Paper
    Company (www.redrivercatalog.com). I have used their papers for
    years and have always been satisfied. They do not test their papers
    for other brands of printers.

    3. A six- or nine-color inkjet is somewhat more cost-effective than a
    color laser because you can replace 1/6 or 1/9 of your ink at a
    time, running each individual tank to its absolute terminus. Color
    laser printers almost exclusively use quad-cartridge CMYK systems
    (although some throw in a fifth color). This somehow translates
    into a cost savings, but I'm not a mathematician.

    I actually can't think of any reasons your friend should consider
    color laser if what he wants are photographic prints.

    --
    Aaron
    http://www.fisheyegallery.com

    Aaron, Dec 19, 2006
  14. Clint S.

    Aaron Guest

    And lo, jeremy <> emerged from the ether
    and spake thus:

    ><Clint S.> wrote in message
    >> Hi Folks,
    >>
    >> I know we've all had this discussion before but, I have a friend that
    >> wants
    >> to print-out his pictures taken with his Nikon D2X. He's leaning in the
    >> direction of a 9 color inkjet but I think he should consider a color
    >> laser.(For cost reasons) I would appreciate any and all comments and
    >> direction you can send my way to help him in his decision.
    >>

    > IF the budget does not allow for an excellent printer, and if it is not
    > absolutely essential that you have your prints at once, consider uploading
    > the images to www.dalelabs.com. You will receive real photo prints, on real
    > silver halide paper, just like back in the film days. I prefer these so
    > much over inkjet prints that I do not bother owning an inkjet printer at
    > all.
    >
    > The only drawback is that you must wait for the prints to arrive by mail.

    Let me also recommend White House Custom Color (www.whcc.com). Their
    prices are second-to-none and their customer service is tops. They
    serve a slightly more professional audience than most of the digital
    shops online (AdoramaPix, Shutterfly, etc. come to mind). Your friend
    might consider all of the above. I warn that Shutterfly has never
    shown me superb output, although AdoramaPix has.

    Aaron, Dec 19, 2006
  15. Clint S.

    Skip Guest

    "Aaron" <> wrote in message

    > Let me also recommend White House Custom Color (www.whcc.com). Their
    > prices are second-to-none and their customer service is tops. They
    > serve a slightly more professional audience than most of the digital
    > shops online (AdoramaPix, Shutterfly, etc. come to mind). Your friend
    > might consider all of the above. I warn that Shutterfly has never
    > shown me superb output, although AdoramaPix has.

    I'd second that. We just used them for the first time for some client
    images, and they were great. And an improvement over Mpix, as far as ease
    of use.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip, Dec 19, 2006
  16. Clint S.

    Guest

    I have a Minolta 2400W color laser. Frankly I bought it because I
    had gone through three inkjets all of which loved to dry out and all
    became expensive consumers of ink carts and maintenance. One of the
    three did OK one did good and the last one did very good. So now I
    have the color laser and I am thrilled with it. It does almost as good
    as the best inkjet. It did cost more, but has required no maintenance
    and even if I need to replace the toner next week, I will be happy.

    If I have something I want and it does not produce the quality I
    want for that particular use, I can send my file to a local commercial
    printer and go pick it up.

    It has proven to be much faster, and far less trouble than any of
    the inkjets.

    Talk Ink Jet to me when they become as reliable.

    On Dec 18, 4:09 pm, Clint S. <> wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I know we've all had this discussion before but, I have a friend that wants
    > to print-out his pictures taken with his Nikon D2X. He's leaning in the
    > direction of a 9 color inkjet but I think he should consider a color
    > laser.(For cost reasons) I would appreciate any and all comments and
    > direction you can send my way to help him in his decision.
    >
    > Thanks Much!!
    >
    > Clint
    >
    > Your Portion Of Light
    >
    > Whether you are a brilliant flame or
    > but a tiny spark matters not-for the world
    > needs whatever portion of light is yours to give.

    , Dec 19, 2006
  17. Clint S.

    Clint S. Guest

    WOW.....Thanks for the great information!! I haven't done much "home
    printing" myself as I send out all my digital stuff because I didn't want
    the overhead of the printer....yada yada yada. I would have thought that
    laser printers would have been the way to fly but it looks like the crowd
    is screaming the praises of the ink-jet.

    Thanks Much!

    Clint

    Clint S., Dec 19, 2006
  18. Clint S.

    Aaron Guest

    And lo, Skip <> emerged from the ether
    and spake thus:
    > "Aaron" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Let me also recommend White House Custom Color (www.whcc.com). Their
    >> prices are second-to-none and their customer service is tops. They
    >> serve a slightly more professional audience than most of the digital
    >> shops online (AdoramaPix, Shutterfly, etc. come to mind). Your friend
    >> might consider all of the above. I warn that Shutterfly has never
    >> shown me superb output, although AdoramaPix has.
    >>

    > I'd second that. We just used them for the first time for some client
    > images, and they were great. And an improvement over Mpix, as far as ease
    > of use.

    I should add that I just received my first *real* order from them
    today. I had only seen their five free test prints until now. I
    ordered three 16x20 prints finished on 1/8" masonite (a dense particle
    board for those who are unfamiliar), and the results are *stunning*.
    Very accurate color reproduction and a spotless, clean finishing job.
    Just what you would expect from a professional shop.

    I have also inquired on some custom jobs, such as finishing on board
    to a square layout, and their customer support is very willing to help
    you get whatever you need, within their capabilities.

    Their "ROES" java-based, cross-platform tool for putting in orders is
    a really great, interactive, and fast way to send in your work. It
    helps to see with your own eyes that you are ordering the correct
    aspect ratio prints, or if you are purposefully providing blank areas,
    how they fall on the page.

    My friend recently received a few of his prints that were improperly
    packed with tape ON the image itself. This was a jarring discovery for
    he and I both. Fortunately the prints were fine after careful removal
    of the tape, but he called them to complain about it, anyway. The gal
    he spoke with quickly offered to reprint them all and ship them *at no
    cost*. It doesn't get much better than that. Other than doing it right
    the first time, of course, but my prints had no such issues; I suspect
    it was a new employee or uncommon fluke.

    I can't sing their praises enough.

    Aaron, Dec 19, 2006
  19. On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:09:54 -0800, Clint S. wrote
    (in article <>):

    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I know we've all had this discussion before but, I have a friend that wants
    > to print-out his pictures taken with his Nikon D2X. He's leaning in the
    > direction of a 9 color inkjet but I think he should consider a color
    > laser.(For cost reasons) I would appreciate any and all comments and
    > direction you can send my way to help him in his decision.

    I use both. Laser printers can do very good work, but they cannot equal a
    good dye printer. They are also much more limited in the kinds of paper they
    will accept. Laser printers can be damaged by coated papers. On the other
    hand, they are a lot cheaper to operate, no question.

    So: brochures, newsletters, flyers, etc., you use the laser printer.
    Individual photo prints, fine art, and so on, you use a dye printer or take
    it to a commercial printer.

    Christopher Campbell, Dec 19, 2006
  20. Clint S.

    Steve m... Guest

    The new HP color laser printers when used with the supported photo paper
    print almost the same quality as the inkjet version. We have a 3550 and new
    4600 HP and both of them print nicely with the edge in quality of photo on
    the 4600. I also have a 3210 HP photosmart inkjet and it's the best
    all-in-one device I've ever owned. Prints excellent photographic copies and
    scans with higher quality than any scanner i've owned before as well. And
    it's very easy to use. You basically press a button on the front of the
    printer and the computer links and starts up the programs automatically.
    Very nice indeed.

    Steve

    Steve m..., Dec 23, 2006